Jason News

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:53 pm

Here's a piece from the BBC about today's Holocaust Memorial in Liverpool. (Scroll down for a tiny pic of Jason) ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7211529.stm

... and also a nice little interview from the Times Online

I didn't get where I am without...
Jason Isaacs, 44, actor
Alan jackson

Belonging on the fringes

I’ve been an outsider all my life, which I think is very useful and healthy in general terms but particularly so in terms of my job. It’s important to be able to identify with those on the fringes. As a small kid growing up in Liverpool, I was set apart because my family is Jewish. In the years after we moved to London [when Isaacs was 11], I felt different because I was so obviously northern. And at university [he read law at Bristol], everyone else seemed to be public school and full-on confident or Hugh Grant-ish and I was neither. When I come to think of it, the only group I’ve ever felt a secure part of is my own current and immediate family [he and his partner have two young daughters].

A Mersey state of mind

My great-grandparents came to Liverpool by boat with scores of other Russians, Ukrainians and Poles. Family lore has differing versions as to why they settled there, helping to found the city’s Jewish community. One theory is that they were actually bound for the US, had been told they’d arrived in New York and disembarked. I’d like to think they weren’t that stupid and had either had enough of the conditions on board or simply couldn’t afford to go any further, perhaps thinking they’d get work locally for a while, save up and then journey on. Something about Liverpool obviously convinced them to stay, though. Even I absolutely think of myself as being from there, despite having left when I did.

Coming from a band of brothers

I grew up in a testosterone-fuelled environment, the third of four brothers [his siblings became a doctor, a lawyer and an accountant respectively]. As an adult, I’m shocked at the levels of energy and destruction that boys unleash. We never sat down for a minute and were always being competitive and aggressive with each other. As a result, home didn’t feel like the safest place, because, in a stereotypically Jewish family way, we argued with each other all the time. You had to fight your corner at every turn. Yes, it sharpens you, but it’s also destabilising. I’d never want to show my emotions or admit weakness. I had a lot to unlearn on becoming an actor. We brothers are hugely supportive of each other now.

Taking things as they come

I’m enormously lucky to have worked consistently in this profession [discovering his acting talent while at Bristol, he went on to study as a post-grad at London’s Central School of Speech and Drama].

But honestly, you’ve got to take whatever success comes your way with an enormous pinch of salt. Very little is within your control [he is best known for playing Lucius Malfoy in the Harry Potter series of films, and was most recently nominated for Best Actor in a Mini Series for The State Within at the Golden Globes]. People may scream for your autograph when you walk down the red carpet at the Baftas, but I still take the night bus home.

Bearing witness when it’s needed

I’m not a big fan of gathering people together in a room to make them feel bad about something. But, in these scary and revisionist times, I do think it’s important to be reminded of what we’re capable of as human beings, and also it’s vital to keep track of what governments are doing, supposedly in our names. “Look, remind, reflect and reactâ€

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:33 pm

thank you Gillian. the interview is very insightful, and the
article with the foto is thought provoking..serious indeed..

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:45 pm

Thanks so much, Gillian--I was wondering if we'd get any coverage of that!

catloveyes

Post by catloveyes » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:51 pm

Thank you finding this Gillian....wonderful article and dear pic of our lovely Jason!! :D

Hugs,
Kate

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:28 am

KJ shared another link to a report on the event: icLiverpool

RaveGyrl

Post by RaveGyrl » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:16 am

That was a very moving picture, and a nice interview as well.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:02 am

Amazing, wonderful. Thanks for sharing it.

*smiles*

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:46 pm

Thanks, Gillian. All very moving.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:14 pm

Between iPower's literal retardation and AoHell's hatred of us, poor Kj has been prevented from posting these in (ahem) an expeditious fashion, but she was advised by her pal Keith Mayhew that JI was going to be participating in an event to benefit Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH). The Clinique counter at Harrod's department stores will be donating the proceeds of all sales on Valentine's Day to GOSH--here's some pics from the kick-off:

http://www.wireimage.com/GalleryListin ... PageNum=1

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:59 pm

Thanks, Hil and Kim! More pictures can now be seen at Getty.

There's also another new interview at The Jewish Chronicle ...

Psycho? I’m suburban The TV and movie hard man has had a prolific year of all-action acting — but at home, he is a softie

Jason Isaacs has had what he calls a “completely hysterical dayâ€

kjshd05

Post by kjshd05 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:45 am

thanx Gillian, that is a great article...

here is the article referrenced at the end of that interview:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... KFMGP1.DTL

he ran out of petrol...Oh my goodness...LOL

missed a meeting with a top Hollywood director for a Disney
movie...WWWWAAAAHHHHOOOOO

:woot :woot :woot :woot

let's hope he rescheduled...LOL

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:06 pm

A Disney Movie? Aww, cool, that's amazing!!!

Thanks for posting the article, Gillian. The more I read his interviews, the more I like him. Jason seems to be an amazing person (well, I'm sure he is!).

~me

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:07 pm

A Disney Movie? Aww, cool, that's amazing!!!

Thanks for posting the article, Gillian. The more I read his interviews, the more I like him. Jason seems to be an amazing person (well, I'm sure he is!).

~me

kjshd05

Post by kjshd05 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:25 pm

thanx to Iris, pics of Mr Jason at the BBC5 Live radio
show, with Mark Kermode:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/radiofivelive/
Last edited by kjshd05 on Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:26 pm

I want them to have a real empathy for the religion, not to reproduce its views mindlesslyâ€

Return to “General Forum”