Books you can't put down

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

RedHandedJill

Books you can't put down

Post by RedHandedJill » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:19 am

ok so I know I haven't been on recently due to being out of town but I am back.

With that said on my trip I started reading a book. My sisters, cousins, and friends have all told me about this book series that they loved. I promised durring the winter break that I would start reading it.

The book is called "Twilight" by Stephanie Meyer. I admit that at first I was merely reading this book to get my sister off of my back but I got into in on new years eve.

I found that no matter what I did I wanted to be reading this book. I finished the 1st book in the series on Jan 2 at 3 AM. I woke up in the morning at about 9am (which if I don't have to I don't do) and got dressed and went to Wal-Mart and bought the 2nd and 3rd books! ("New Moon" & "Eclipse")

I finished the 3rd book today at about 5pm.

Now everyone here may have already discussed these books while I was on my mission because that is when they came out but I have three words to say about these books. OH MY GOSH!!!!

if you are looking for a good, semi suspensfull (mostly in the 2nd and 3rd books), entertaining and romantic book to read I would highly suggest these one!!!!

but now I am finding myself at a loss. I mean I know that the semester is starting again and I will be reading a lot of text book stuff but I do need a break once in a while!!

any suggestions?

Red

Foodie

Post by Foodie » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:34 am

I got sucked into an older series, but one I'd never heard of before. There are five so far and they're written by a guy named George R.R. Martin. The first is called "A Game of Thrones". I swear this book is laced with drugs, because I cannot put it down. It's one of those books that you get stressed out when you reach the end of a chapter because of the way it ends. I've had to cheat and read ahead a few times just to relieve that stress! I'll be hunting down the other four when I finish the first one.

I'm also making my way through the His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman, and they are also addictive. I thought the first one was better than the Harry Potter books, personally...And being a huge fan of those books, that's truly saying something.

Both of those series are in the "fantasy" realm, so if you're a fan of that genre, you might enjoy them. Good luck!
-Foodie :D

Funkay

Post by Funkay » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:14 pm

Yeah, the book series by George R.R. Martin is called "A Song of Fire and Ice." I've had them all for a while, but I can't find the time to sit down and finish the first one! When I do get back to it, it is pretty hard to rip myself away from it! That series is actually still being written, with a new book having come out recently or will be coming out soon and I think HBO is either really interested in making it a mini-series or they are in extreme pre-production on it. Or something.

We had a book sale at work a couple of weeks ago and I picked up a stack that I need to dig into. I found myself really getting into Steinbeck's 'Cannery Row.' For some reason I'd never read it and I love Monterey, so it made sense to pick it up. I do recommend it.

Siren

Post by Siren » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:37 pm

OK I LOVE to hear about good books, especially series...i'm going to have to check out the one you talked about Red.

I just finished Deception Point, by Dan Brown...it was actually pretty good, and very interesting.

The series that i'm really enjoying are the Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich....

I believe there are 12 books...im only on #5, i need to go out and buy some more, but they really are a fun read!! They've got everything in it, romance, danger, and they are just plain funny to boot. I suggest those, i think you'd like them.

RedHandedJill

Post by RedHandedJill » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:32 pm

Thanks for the suggestions (and WELCOME Siren!)

I am keeping a list for my next school holiday.... my Semester is only 2 weeks in and its already running me into the ground!

Red

Siren

Post by Siren » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:28 pm

Thanks for the welcome Red.

I have another series of books i'm reading but it's of the fantasy genre...and um a bit "different".....

But fantastic none the less.

Good luck with your school!

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:10 am

The series that i'm really enjoying are the Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich....

I believe there are 12 books...im only on #5, i need to go out and buy some more, but they really are a fun read!! They've got everything in it, romance, danger, and they are just plain funny to boot. I suggest those, i think you'd like them.
Actually there are 13 now and that is not including the several "bewtween the numbers books" like the one that just came out called "Plum Lucky."

Anyway - I can't agree more. These books are laugh out loud and spew soda through your nose funny!!! Takes the first couple to warm up to them but then watch out. I was reading Plum Lucky on an airplne and I'm sure the guy next to me thought I was a complete lunatic with the way I kept laughing. Then I'd have to put the book down and wipe my tears away because I was laughing so hard. Pick up the book read one word and the visual image comes back and I'm laughing again...............!!!

Siren

Post by Siren » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:50 pm

oh Marie...i just wrote down on my list of things to do ....go buy the next two in the series....that will make about 3 different books i'm reading at once!

I agree the books are LOL hilarious...and that's bad, i'm a flight attendant! Passengers are going to think i'm quite crazy!

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:36 am

I think Amazon.com has sellers who have the books used for only a buck or two - that way you can just buy a bunch at a time. I'd give you mine but after I lend them to a couple of friends and my Mom & Dad - they have all been donated to a library or sold at yard sale. Unfortunately for me I'm so hooked on them I have to buy them when they first come out - in fact I pre-order them when Amazon has a publication date.

Next on my list to read is "You - Staying Young"

Return to “General Forum”