Movies

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Movies

Post by Marie » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:35 pm

Got to see Batman Begins last weekend and Charlie & the Chocolate Factory this weekend. I liked Batman a whole lot more than I thought I would. I enjoyed Charlie quite a bit too. Mostly for Depp"s performance (and I am not a huge JD fan!) I was surprised because I thought - no way will he ever replace Gene Wilder - and in fact he didn't - he just provided another terrific Willy Wonka. Unfortunately I don't think it will be a "classic." I was bored by the Oompa Loompas (SP? and who the hell cares!) And the songs could have remained a distant memory of the original movie. Christopher Lee was really terrific. Can anyone imagine the torture braces Willy had to wear? Even DH seemed OK with the movie even though no T&A or exploding vehicles were shown!

Cheers,
Marie

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:55 pm

Batman's getting rave reviews, which surprised me. I kind of expected a media backlash after Batman and Robin injured the franchise. But I guess this darker version's injected new life.

Can't wait to hear who they sign up as the next Joker.

TeriLK

Post by TeriLK » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:15 pm

I haven't seen Charlie and the Choco Factory yet, but Batman Begins was surprisingly better than I had predicted as well. I really Christian Bale, but I liked him even better afterward. This film reminded me more of those Batman comics from the seventies that my aunt had. She loved them, because they were dark and even creepy. They were even drawn better too. I still have them. I think Bale reminded me of this familiar drawing style of Neal Adams.

Marie

Post by Marie » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:25 am

It was nice to see a human get real bruses from fighting - I thought that was a nice touch. I get so sick of seeing fights with punches in the face and no marks left behind!!!! Yes Bale did an excellent job!!

kontara

BB and C&Choc

Post by kontara » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:34 pm

I've seen both Batman Begins and Charlie....

BB: Loved the re-launch of the movie franchise. I had never seen Bale in any other movie but thought he was good. I thought the story was excellent (although wolve felt it was a bit too slow and contrived).

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: I liked it, it wa different from the older version. Depp was good and odd.... kids did nothing for me and I wanted more visuals during the boat ride....the boat ride was supposed to be terrifing and it was just blah... Oompa-Loompa songs were ok but I like the old ones better. (Wolve found the movie to be disturbing on too many levels and did not like it. Oompa-Loompa's in PVC and the whipping of the cow made him feel it was not appropriate for kids...)

Penny

Marie

Post by Marie » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:44 pm

I was rather disturbed by the cow whipping scene also. And the songs annoyed the crap out of me ..... but then again they also annoyed me in the original version too .......................

Stealth Pam

Re: Movies

Post by Stealth Pam » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:46 pm

Marie wrote:Got to see Batman Begins last weekend and Charlie & the Chocolate Factory this weekend.... Christopher Lee was really terrific.... Can anyone imagine the torture braces Willy had to wear?... !

Cheers,
Marie
I haven't seen the film yet; was so fun to hear that Christopher was playing Willy's Dad. I wondered how long his part would be...I can't get over how much work he's doing now, including "Corpse Bride" with Johnny Depp and Tim Burton, too. And he's singing in Germany right now taping a "Rhapsody" album that will be released on CD. He turns 83, I turn 50 next year, and he's got more energy than I have...

I saw a cute video interview with him at a Star Wars convention in Germany, where a little 6 year old girl said "my mummy remembers you from the Hammer films" and the sponsor asked while Christopher was onstage if the little girl found Christopher scary in person. "Not really..." very small voice, and Christopher let out this booming laugh...he waved at her in the end, leaning over and using both hands like a Grandpa, big smile on his face.

He's really is so very sweet once you get to know him, unless you do something slightly wrong like put his books on the shelf upside down when you are helping him move to a new flat...gets a bit grumpy then... :wink:

Pam

eternal student
Location: The beautiful Eastern Shore of Maryland, my Maryland

Post by eternal student » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:19 pm

Here's my daughter's review of Charlie (I haven't seen it yet!)

Just saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with Shari and Rob. It was very, very odd... but enjoyable. I think J. Depp was attempting the channel Michael Jackson... hmmm, pasty white guy with father issues who invites a young boy to come and stay with him... as long as he doesn't bring his parents. Sound like anyone we know?

I would recommend the movie for anyone over the age of, say twenty-three who has a reasonably twisted sense of humor. Otherwise, stick with Gene Wilder (who, in my mind, is still perfection as Willy Wonka). I will not say that one version is better than the other--just that they appeal to different crowds. I consider them companion pieces.

catloveyes

Movies

Post by catloveyes » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:57 pm

Eternal Student, I feel that your daughter is right on target, at least
that is also how I felt as well!!

My daughter loves Johnny Depp so it appealed to her more than myself;
I am and will always love Gene Wilder's version!!

So kudos to your daughter :)

Love,

Kate

eternal student
Location: The beautiful Eastern Shore of Maryland, my Maryland

Post by eternal student » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:02 pm

Kate, daughter said "awwwwww" when I read your comments to her.

Penny & Marie: She said the cow whipping was in the book. (She's Ms. children's literature--when we go to the bookstore, I always know where I can find her. Did I mention that she's almost 27????)

RedHandedJill

Post by RedHandedJill » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:39 pm

I LOVED Charlie in the Chocolate Factory so much

how much you ask?

well lets put it this way I don't live that far away from the drive in that uses radio stations... yeah I can get it in my car in my drive way so I will go in my car and listen to my favorite lines

-"even I am eatable but that is called canibalism my dear children and is infact frowned upon in most societies"

-"know why? KNOW WHY?!?"

-"you know you really shouldn't mumble because its really starting to bum me out!"

Red

Marie

Post by Marie » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:47 am

He's really is so very sweet once you get to know him, unless you do something slightly wrong like put his books on the shelf upside down when you are helping him move to a new flat...gets a bit grumpy then
Hehehehe Pam - he sounds a little compulsive. Some folks are so particular about their books (arranged by size or subject. all right side up etc.) He would be most disturbed if he saw my bookcase - and oddly enough I'm a bit obsessive compulsive myself - but the bookcase is just all quite a mess!! :)

Christopher Lee was fabulous in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as well as in The Lord of the Rings (they should not have cut out his scenes!!!!) He was wasted in Star Wars (but I'll bet it was a fine paycheck!) He is a credit to the acting profession and I hope I have even half his energy when I get to be his age (plus he has a cat so he has to be a good guy!!!)

Cheers,
Marie

catloveyes

Movies

Post by catloveyes » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:10 am

Oh Red I definitely enjoyed some specific scenes and I do admire
Johnny Depp. I went to see the movie with an open mind but it just
didn't grab me the way I expected.

And Marie I do think Christopher Lee was wonderful and now all the more so because he has a cat!!! Gotta love those cat people!! :)
(Just a little side notice; I am soon going to go to our local shelter for
a cat)! :) Can't stay without one.

As for books, I am a subject person, size doesn,t really matter but never put them upside down!! :D And I tend to also put too much stuff on the shelfs so right now they are a little cluttered!!

Love Always,

Kate

Marie

Post by Marie » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:38 am

Kate - so happy to hear you will be adopting a furry friend soon!!

Hugs,
Marie

Stealth Pam

Post by Stealth Pam » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:24 am

Ha, Marie, yeah, Christopher was very particular about the books when I helped him move back in 1979, and I do understand the need to have things right side up and the way you want them. I know he felt bad fussing at me about how they were arranged because I was doing it for free; the movers wouldn't touch them. Hey, I got paid: Italian sandwiches for lunch and a whole day having Christopher Lee boss me around, now THERE's payment! "No, no, put that THERE, not THERE!" stuff. I whirled around at one point and said "for goodness sake!" and he was laughing his head off at me, just being ornery. Yeesh. Haha, very funny.

The cat...first the name was Renfield, then Rasputin, then King Tut, he kept changing the cat's name! Finally, my fiance met him and called the cat "Rasfield, uh, Renputin" and Christopher turned to him dourly and said "batting 1000, Steve". When the cat was a kitten, Christopher used to put it in his shirt pocket and let it peek out. Ah, one day it nailed him in the chest with its little claws, and I was running for the bathroom for bandaids and alcohol swabs; he was bleeding. Poor man got impaled by his own cat. We called it "Vlad the Impaler" after that, and Christopher would roll his eyes and make faces: "blasted cat drew blood!"

He adored that cat. It loved him, too, would cry forlornly when he put it down and left the room, and purr like a motor when he'd pick it up. Lucky cat, ha! The cat would chase everything: golf balls, Christmas ribbon, Christopher's pom-pom on his slippers (my Mom made him blue slippers with pom-poms as a Christmas gift, and that cat would grab at them and hold on while Chris dragged the cat around the room on his foot. Now THERE's a sight! Ah, the good old days. )

Jason reminds me so much of Christopher when he's acting, uh, child-like. Golf comes to mind with the wild cart driving: Chris liked to drop his golf bag on my foot when he was going the course once. "Here, hold this!" and go run off with a club in hand. Come back, and I'd be standing there with my eyebrows knit together scowling, and he'd say "what???" and my Mom would start chortling (it was a performance for her benefit, of course; Chris liked to make my Mom laugh). I have come to the conclusion that the English actor sense of humour is quite ...nutty... watch "Haunted Mansion" with Eddie Murphy sometime and the elegant "ghost" Edward Gracey is Nat Parker, who in the outtakes is making silly faces and doing Shakespeare: "You are my life, my love, my...cheeseburger!", and the cast/crew starts applauding him, he bows and leaves the set. English actors...nutty. Adorable, but nutty.

Ok, I gotta go back to work. Everybody have a great day!

Pam

Return to “General Forum”