My baby.

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Sea Lion Woman

My baby.

Post by Sea Lion Woman » Fri May 15, 2009 2:24 pm

Well as some of you know, I want to be a fashion designer and for one of my classes we had to make a dress and present it to the class.
I was extremely stressed out because everything that could go wrong, went wrong with my dress, but I finally presented it yesterday and here it is.
All comments are accepted and I'll appreciate each and all of them.
*drum roll*
(sorry bout the crappy pics but tomorrow I'll take better pics)
That's the detail of the shoulder. That is actually lace and it's all hand sewn (it took me like 4 hours sewing the lace in the shoulder). It took me that long because I had to cut the flower pattern in the lace, then place them in the neckline and then sewn them. A lot of work.

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Fri May 15, 2009 2:28 pm

WOW! That's GORGEOUS! ABSOTIVELY, POSILUTELY STUNNING!
:hands :woot :yip

~ML :adore

I took homemaking in H.S., and we had to make clothing for our sewing project.....I made capris (pedal pushers), and had to hand sew the cuff at the bottom. I tried doing it in class, but the fabric was just too thick, and,
I kept getting the thread all tangled in the fabric. The cuffs were pinned onto the legs of the pants, and I knelt down on one of the straight pins, and that :shh thing went into my kneecap. OUCH!
Another student had to unbend my knee to cause the pin to rise and then she/he (can't remember who it was) pulled it out. MAN, did THAT HURT!

~Ml :bawl

Sea Lion Woman

Post by Sea Lion Woman » Fri May 15, 2009 2:41 pm

OMG ML! That sounds quite painful! I've pinned myself in the fingers so many times.
One question. Are capris (or pants in general) hard to make? Because in my next semester, I'm gonna start doing pants and I wanna be prepared lol.
Thanks for the comment honey! It made me blush :oops: :oops:

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Fri May 15, 2009 2:49 pm

I'm not sure. I used that description cuz my mental thesaurus is closed, locked down, and far away right now.

~ML :loco (sosillyofme)

Roz

Post by Roz » Fri May 15, 2009 7:09 pm

Ooooh, SLW, what a purty color! I am not much of a dress person, but yours is awesome looking! Well done.

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Fri May 15, 2009 7:30 pm

You'll have to model it for us, SLW. And did you pick the blue color for some
'mysterious' reason... :D

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Fri May 15, 2009 7:31 pm

The lace is beautiful, SLW, and complements the dress nicely. That's a tough fabric to work with, but you did a great job--the hem looks so nice and even too!

Sea Lion Woman

Post by Sea Lion Woman » Fri May 15, 2009 7:40 pm

Wow ladies! I'm so flattered, thanks for the amazing comments!
The lace is beautiful,SLW, and it complements the dress nicely. That's a tough fabric to work with, but you did a great job--the hem looks so nice and even too!
It was SUCH a pain! It was silk charmeuse and it's a very delicate fabric to work with and also it's very slippery. It kept slipping of the table when I wanted to sew it. So I had to be extremely patient and do everything slowly and carefully. Even when I ironed it I had to do it with extreme care. When I first draped the dress the hem was such a mess. It was all uneven to I had to make it even and well apparently I did a good job. The lace was really a last minute thing. I thought it looked kinda...plain and I'm all about the detail and I'm very meticulous so I just decided to put the lace, besides I think it gives it a sort of Old Hollywood glamour, and I'm such a big fan of the 40s and 50s.
And did you pick the blue color for some
'mysterious' reason...
I didn't even realize that! LOL! Maybe on a subconscious level I did pick that midnight blue for a reason. When I walked to the fabric store that color just stood out for me. It was so gorgeous and deep and just amazing. The pics don't do the fabric any justice. It's a really gorgeous color.
Ooooh, SLW, what a purty color! I am not much of a dress person, but yours is awesome looking! Well done.
Thanks babe! Like I said before, I was really attracted to that color. First I was gonna do it in like a champagne color, but I just picked the blue because it was too pretty.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Fri May 15, 2009 8:27 pm

The dress is beautiful. You have great taste.

Good luck with your career as a fashion designer.

Sea Lion Woman

Post by Sea Lion Woman » Fri May 15, 2009 8:34 pm

grannybear wrote:The dress is beautiful. You have great taste.

Good luck with your career as a fashion designer.
Thanks about that comment GB. That's all I want to have, great taste.
I'm honestly so thankful about all the great comments because personally....I'm not very happy with this dress.
I'm not completely happy, I'm just kinda ok with it.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Sat May 16, 2009 6:04 am

OMG, great job, sis! :hug love the dress and the detail of the shoulder!
(well, you know I love dresses more than any other piece of clothing :oops: )

~me

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Sat May 16, 2009 6:39 am

Didn't you just finish this dress? If so, you need to correct the stamp date on your camera.. :D

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Sat May 16, 2009 7:05 am

oh, and, SLW, just think of how hot Freja would look in this dress...

~me

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sat May 16, 2009 11:23 am

Love that cobalt blue color and the Hellenic (tee hee) one-shoulder look. Applying lace to the top edge was a lovely touch. It's beautiful, SLW! Well done.

Helen

Sea Lion Woman

Post by Sea Lion Woman » Sat May 16, 2009 2:33 pm

Chari910 wrote:Didn't you just finish this dress? If so, you need to correct the stamp date on your camera.. :D
Oh my! The date is WAY off! Good eye Char! I'll change it right now!
Angel Tavington wrote:oh, and, SLW, just think of how hot Freja would look in this dress...
She doesn't wear dresses! Damn that woman! :lol
But next year I'm gonna start making pants and jackets so it's all gonna be inspired on her! (and OMG she got the GAP campaign!)

I also finished a skirt for my sewing class! It's less ambitious but I thought it turned out really cute. I'll post the pics later!

Return to “General Forum”