Thoughts On My Review's

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Anniemouse

Thoughts On My Review's

Post by Anniemouse » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:04 am

I was just wondering; as I have done many reviews of Jason movie/TV and radio projects on the forum since I joined; I am very aware that in a couple of cases I have not really enjoyed certain movies in the manner of what was intended. Now as this is a public forum (at least to read) is it ok not to really like a project or at least not get the reaction that the makers wanted me to. After all it is their wrk. I cannot imagine Jason (if he read some of my comments would be happy )

Any thoughts?.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Re: Thoughts On My Review's

Post by thunder » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:11 am

I haven't been all positive in my reviews here. Honesty is the best, as long as we explain why we don't like it, try to be constructive. I think we are a lot more respectful than the professional reviewers, and Jason is fully aware of that not everything he has been in is very good. Be honest if you like it, and honest if you don't like it. :D

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:51 am

Jason has said several times that he signed on to do a project based on a script - which was then changed in a way that made the movie/TV show ..... not so good. He has said you can only do the best you can with what you are given. I don’t think he would respect us as thinking human beings if we only drooled at his projects in adulation. He respects an honest well thought out opinion. So honest reviews are always welcome.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:10 pm

Marie and thunder said it all: Be honest about what you've watched. I can count on one hand the number of projects I didn't like. I'm pretty sure I didn't hide my displeasure with describing them.

servalan

Post by servalan » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:24 pm

I agree that you should be honest, you are just expressing a point of view.

It has often been said of various projects involving Jason that the actual film is rubbish, but he was the best thing in it. I can't think of a bad performance from him (I have avoided watching some things because they seemed so bad from other reviews, so I could have missed one) but I can certainly think of films I would not bother to watch again.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:41 pm

If I am being honest then;

One film made me laugh when it should not have.
One should have edited the last act
One obviously ran out of money during production and the ending made no sense.
One was 'Meh' as it was pretty daft.
One would have been better if they had focused on his character more instead of the leads.

Overall though that is not bad going on all the projects I have seen. Also not seen a bad performance from him. It must be strange as an actor getting scripts and hopeing that they stay intact during filming.
Only project I could not watch was The State Within as I could not handle it after the woman burning to death in the car. (I was shaking and upset at that scene) Yes I am a wuss. Tbe acting was top notch by the way.

Got many more to watch after I have seen the French Open Tennis over the next 10 days.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:14 am

I was also thinking about how precarious an actors life is. We seem to have entered an age when studios are after massive returns for their investments. This surely limits oportunities for actors I recall reading that it is the middle level of studio movie making that is in decline. This is the level where many of the great writers, directors and actors cut their creative teeth and where many classics who gained awards and critical acclaim came from. I had a recent discussion with someone who hates movie awards and I said that they served a purpose that is becoming increasing needed to the industry. If we had no awards then I think many movies would never be made as studios would not want to risk cash they could put toards an almost dead certain box office return from a blockbuster.
what is noticeable is the recent Award winners seem to make modest returns at the box office. So we have a indie section of the industry trying to make movies struggling for space and attention and blockbusters.

That is not to say blockbuster are all bad. Nolan is an interesting case and many others will become classics but I think in the future the situation will only get worse.

Listening to Jason it is interesting how often he mentions the script being such a pivotal factor. I worry that scripts, directing and acting are not the dominating factor in regards to the studios and will not be for the forseable future.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:28 pm

Just to let everyone know I am swamped at the moment with Uni stuff and trying to write an essay so have not had the time to watch any more Jason projects. I have a list of DVD's to watch including

Friends with Money.
Red Son
Capital City
Field of lost Shoes.

So hope to get arounf soon to watching them.

Still loads to track down

Return to “General Forum”