Bring the Drama

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Anniemouse

Bring the Drama

Post by Anniemouse » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:31 am

An interesting project broadcast on the BBC has caught my eye. The programme is called 'Bring the Drama' presented by the actor/ comedian Bill Bailey and has really opened my eyes on acting. The premise is that 8 non professional actors (acting at drama clubs) with age ranges going from late teens to early 60's attempt to break into the industry. Each week there are acting classes that are absolutely fascianting in themselves. Last week they had to learn how to access high emotions quickly using props. Apparently this is an emotional safer method as it is not so triggering. Seeing them using the exagerated moves using the props made perfect sense to me. They then auditioned for roles on Eastenders (using the sets not the show) and again seeing actors giving their best to try and get the best roles for the scenes was interesting.We then saw them filming the scenes and getting feedback. Hearing the stories of the actors made me realise just how impossible it is to start a career in acting. One man in his 60 who was a former Policeman had been stearred away from acting by his family when young. The younger members were finding it impossible to get the funds to study and live near acting schools so this was their only option.

The acting coach was from Rada and was lovely and the head of the show is a casting lady called Kelly Valentine Hendry. Apparently very well known in the industry (wonder if her and Jason have crossed paths) Hearing her speak is amazing and she is the real star of the show so far. She is on a mission to get more working class kids into acting. The industry is becoming more clossed to those of a poor background and privialge seems to be a stepping stone these days.

It looks like in coming weeks they are doing scenes from other BBC shows such as Peaky Blinders. Two or three of the hopefuls are already catching my eye but we have to see how this all pans out.

A real eye opener in regards to the industry.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Re: Bring the Drama

Post by thunder » Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:42 am

Sounds interesting.

I follow a couple of channels for young musical actors on YouTube, and it's definitely not easy to break into that industry. And once they've gotten one job, doesn't mean they will be cast in something new when their contract is over.

servalan

Post by servalan » Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:15 pm

thunder wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:42 am
Sounds interesting.

I follow a couple of channels for young musical actors on YouTube, and it's definitely not easy to break into that industry. And once they've gotten one job, doesn't mean they will be cast in something new when their contract is over.
This sort of thing also happened to people who are now well known. I have recently seen/heard two interviews with Peter Capaldi , who was in Local Hero as his first movie - he got the part through someone he knew - but even after the film was successful, he didn't get offered other roles afterwards. He was constantly told his accent and face were wrong.

He ended up playing The Doctor in Dr Who.

Antoni Bandzior

Post by Antoni Bandzior » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:04 am

Yep, same stories Gary Oldman was telling some time ago, that after few successful movies he wasn't offered anything, because people were too afraid to ask him thinking it's not good enough for him or he won't be interested.

The industry is difficult. For actors and directors\writers.
We have 2 good acting schools here, and you need to be really good, while being 18\19 to get admitted. Or have a very uncommon look to achieve something later on, or start from amator's theatres. And to get outside of the country it's even more difficult, especially if you are not native English speaker.

The filming school I have in my city, is only for future directors, and you already have to be one to get there(you need to have some movies and scenarios to show them to apply).

The screenwriting school I'm interested in, is quite expensive as well. And that obviously doesn't give you any certitude that you get somewhere in the industry after that. And if you want to sell anything you need to win some competitions, that are organized once a year, but even winning isn't a surety that your screenplay will be filmed. You will be just someone who was recognized for a second. But since I don't even want to write for movie industry in my country, I need an agent, and to have one you need to be already recognizable...
Last edited by Antoni Bandzior on Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:19 pm

I have never known it to be so difficult to get a break. It is why I applaud Kelly for her passion in trying to shake things up.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:22 pm

Episode 2 was interesting. The actors were sent to the Silent Witness set to learn how to act for this type of series. There seems to be a few actors gaining a foothold in the show, but tonight we had a strong lead role from a hopeful who is actually going blind in real life. I do have to say Rehanna was amazing and it is so weird as a viewer to feel the progress of the cast as they learn their craft. Makes you realise just how adaptable Jason and other professional actors have to be.

Next Week

Peaky Blinders.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:17 pm

Episode 3 was enlightening. They rehersed a scene from Peaky Blinders and filmed on set. I had chills from the acting at times and one of the actors might have a future in stunt work he was such a natural. I was amazed at the acting from such novices and seeing all the rehersing and prep for action work is amazing. The timeing and trust is staggering. I think two or three actors are starting to lead the pack but boy was it amazing tonight.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:20 pm

Today's episode was really interesting and saw many of the actors struggle. They were acting in a medical drama and what with props and medical jargon the stress got them. What I found fascianting in that the edit of the recorded footage saved them and you would have never have known the struggles on set. I really enjoyed the acting class today. They had to use a drum to connect the group to a beat and breathe in time. You have no idea how hard that was for them. I keep thinking when I see these classes what would Jason think and did he do these type of acting classes.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:19 pm

Tonights episode was by far the most interesting. The acting class consited of 'Body Mapping' where actors expressed which areas they were confortable being touched. It sounds creapy but felt more empowering. They then went on to act in a scenme from Downton Abbey. The chemestry was amazing between most of the couples and I was fascinated at how the chemistry rose once the actors felt more empowered and relaxed.

The big showcase is next week and I am still not sure who will get picked up by the agencies.

Interestingly each week an actor who is in the profession but never went to acting school works with the group and I find that fascinating as well.

I would love to know if Jason would have felt confident to go into the profession without the acting school background. I can think of a couple of big names who never went to acting school.

thunder

Post by thunder » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:38 am

In one of the Covid zoom-meetings, (I think it was the one he did for his daughters' school?), he got a question from someone about going to drama school to get into the movie business. Jason answered that he would recommend not going to drama school, but to start to write and try to make their own stories, and get into it that way instead.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:18 pm

That is why the show is so fascianting. Not only thanks to the work of Kelly Valentine Hendry are these actors getting acting classes and on set experience but in the next episode they are doing a showcase with agents coming to see them. She believes that the ones she is taking to the showcase are ready to work in the industry. That is a fast turnaround and shows it can be done. I think out of the eight, four could start in the industry and get work now, with two others being close to ready. I have no idea which she will pick.

thunder

Post by thunder » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:55 am

Getting an agent won't mean that they'll get any work. But being on this TV show may help them, since their names are known through TV.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:52 am

I think it has also shown their strengths and weaknessess. I wonder how this will pan out.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:18 pm

Spoilers

Ok. so we had the final week and it was a fascianting insight into how actors create a showcase for the industry. The three placed into the showcase were Jordan (frontrunner from week 1; solid but seemed to have have stalled in the later episodes). Delasi, who went from playing an unconcious man in the first week after failing to impress in the audition to someone who for me became the star of the show; and Rehanna who had a real watchability. We saw agencies at the showcase (I think the agency that Jason is with was there) and all three actors showcases were amazing but like I said Delasi seemed to edge it for me. They are all in work as are a couple of the others. Two of the others I really liked Luca and Chris are either trying to get into an acting school or taking courses.

I hope that there are further series of the this show. I was a real eye opener.

Links to the cast of this season

https://www.bbc.com/mediacentre/mediapa ... -the-drama

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/entertain ... exclusive/

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/entertain ... ewsupdate/

I wonder what Jason did in his showcase?

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:21 am

This has got me wondering.

Can you name a great monologue from Jason. I can think of the one from Mass. Any further suggestions?

Return to “General Forum”