Windtalkers

A catch-all for older favourites.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, kjshd05, Marie, Gillian, Chari910, catloveyes, Helen8, LadyLucius

Keenan48

Re: Windtalkers

Post by Keenan48 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:24 am

There are only 2 Windtalkers still alive, having just lost one earlier this year.
I would have much preferred an actor of substance (Johnny Depp,Christian Bale) to have played Cage's part, for he is truly too lightweight to carry such a heavy role. I would have also preferred they made the central character(s) the Windtalkers themselves, as theirs was the true story of patriotism. Even though treated as second class citizens in their own country, they rose to the call to defend her none the less. Therein lies the heart of this story, and as Monty so accurately points out, was lost in the Hollywood translation. I am glad however, that this little known piece of history was recognized and allowed to see the light of day, regardless of the poor execution. I can only hope that one day it will be retold/remade, in a way that does justice to these men and recognizes the debt owed by my nation to their memory.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:22 pm

Keenan, thank you for that--the topic deserved a post as serious as that. (Indian Country Media reported on the death of Mr. Little.)
I agree with you, though--I had to think for quite some time before I could come up with a movie in which Mr. Cage impressed me: the last one was Raising Arizona. :-|

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:10 am

I think NC has been pretty well type cast - and he finds it easy to play the kind of action adventure role. Hubby enjoys all his movies and as far as B grade adventure/fantasy movies I get dragged to or have to watch on DVD - Cage is not the worst. I would not have chosen him for that role in Windtalkers though. Many other actors would have done better. That is one movie I wish would get re-made by someone who can do war movies with heart like Speilburg.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:59 am

Not long ago, PBS had a program on the code breakers, which was far more informative and respectful.

Face/Off maybe. And that's only because Cage spent most of it imitating John Travolta. :roll: