Hey,what about 'Sweet November'?

A catch-all for older favourites.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

marilaine

Hey,what about 'Sweet November'?

Post by marilaine » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:27 pm

I have been scrolling down Older Movies, and couldn't find 'Sweet November' ANYWHERE? :scratch
I hope this will give us a chance to discuss Chaz/Cherry, Sara, Nelson, et al.
I LOVE this movie. :adore Jason's so sweet in this. And, the Irish accent does his character justice. God Bless Chaz Watley. :hug
~M'L :cool:

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:52 pm

Yes, Jason is delightful as Chaz, he's a very sweet character who genuinely cared for Sara and provided her comfort and support all the time. Everyone should have a friend like him!

I like 'Sweet November' because it makes me reflect on what's really important in life. It's a touching movie.

~me

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:02 pm

I bloody hate that movie--which is generally referred to around these parts as Sween Norverber , which may be why you couldn't find anything about it.
JI is adorable, and Charlize Theron, as usual, is irresistible and even as a dying woman (oops, spoiler) just radiant, but I think Keanu (aka Little Wooden Boy) is even more impassive than usual, and just clutters up the joint uselessly.
"Get it? It's a HOT DOG!!"
Ugh cringe.
The script was a MESS. Who the hell needs to cheat on a driver's license test after they've reached the age of 17?? Who arrives to take said test with an armload of groceries? Who lives for years in San Francisco and is shocked by the sight of a transvestite? Who, in 2001, takes a near-perfect stranger up on her offer of a life-changing month and gleefully makes to hop in the sack with her--with no mention of a condom/blood test??
Yes, Cherry/Chaz (and his boyfriend was sweet) was absolutely the best thing in that movie, but it was like it was filmed in two different dimensions.

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:10 pm

I thought the accent of Chaz was supposed 2B Scottish, not Irish...
I could be wrong...I only watch this movie for the JI parts...
he is smashing in that leather jacket, but in NO way do I find
him appealing as Cherri

Sea Lion Woman

Post by Sea Lion Woman » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:37 pm

Chaz...sweet sweet Chaz!
I thought it was a...nice movie. Period.
But Chaz....you're right angel...I would die to have a friend like that.
Supportive, sweet, nice and...HOT!
As Cherry he was...a TRANNY MESS!...
But I loveeeddd Cherry!! She (or he?) didn't care about what people though bout her (him?!)...and that dress was...fierce indeed!
That dress....I'm sorry but I loved it!!! And it was green (my fave color) and sequinss...fierce!
:D

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:13 pm

Chaz is definitely Scottish.

And yes, it's flawed, like Hilary says, and Keanu's performance is as stiff as a board, but there are some genuinely touching moments. Plus Jason's character (and that of his partner) are great fun to watch. They provide some of the much needed levity you see in the film.

A good date movie, I'd say, as long don't hate Mr. Reeves.

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:35 am

Chaz definitely has an IRISH accent. :woot I watched it again last night,(this is an edit from a previous submitted post) and he is IRISH! (I went to Catholic School for 9 years, and we had nuns from Ireland who taught there. Sorry, Gillian. )
I think Jason captured these characters beautifully. This is a really sweet story. CHAZ ROCKS! :wheee

Soule

Post by Soule » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:22 am

marilaine (Caffee) wrote:Chaz definitely has an IRISH accent. :woot I watched it again last night,(this is an edit from a previous submitted post) and he is IRISH! (I went to Catholic School for 9 years, and we had nuns from Ireland who taught there. Sorry, Gillian. )
I think Jason captured these characters beautifully. This is a really sweet story. CHAZ ROCKS! :wheee
#

I watched this film for the first time this week and its a scottish accent (perhaps not the best accent but it is scottish), in the extras there are also references to it being Scottish.

Keanu's acting was awful and wooden, but the rest gave good performances, the film isn't normally the type of film I would watch but I did enjoy it, and it was nice to see Jason.

mariagare

Post by mariagare » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:29 am

Actually, it sounds 3/4 Scottish, 1/4 Irish.

Just thinking about it is giving me the urge to watch Capital City again.
Last edited by mariagare on Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:34 am

--since JI described Chaz as a sort of continuation of the character he played in Capital City, that seems entirely indicated!

Soule

Post by Soule » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:43 am

I am yet to watch Capital City, I suspect I watched it when it was originally aired but it was along time ago so can't really remember.

I love this stage of acquiring actors work and watching it for the first time!

mariagare

Post by mariagare » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:00 am

Soule wrote:I love this stage of acquiring actors work and watching it for the first time!
Never watched Capital City when it first aired (no idea if it was aired in Australia) but I went completely cuckoo and procured every single DVD JI has ever appeared in. He's completely adorable in the series, but you already knew that. ;-)

Soule

Post by Soule » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:20 pm

mariagare wrote:
Soule wrote:I love this stage of acquiring actors work and watching it for the first time!
Never watched Capital City when it first aired (no idea if it was aired in Australia) but I went completely cuckoo and procured every single DVD JI has ever appeared in. He's completely adorable in the series, but you already knew that. ;-)
2 weeks ago I had 2 dvds with JI in, now I have 8. So i am getting there! Still plenty to get though, capitl City is on my list to get though

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:11 pm

Well, is it safe to say I get confused with Irish and Scottish accents? :oops:
Anything Jason is in, is a hit with me. (save for maybe two:Last Minute, and High Times Potluck)

With an exclamation for Charlie Beck: "We are far more than what we do!"

mariagare

Post by mariagare » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:12 pm

Perhaps your Catholic nuns were Scottish? A lot of folks find it hard to distinguish between the accents. My trick is to think - Ewan McGregor/Billy Connolly or Bono/Colin Farrell?
marilaine (Caffee) wrote:(save for maybe two:Last Minute, and High Times Potluck)
You no likey Last Minute?

I fondly recall audibly gasping at the scene after the credits.

Return to “Jason Isaacs's Film, TV and Theatre Library”