Civvies

A catch-all for older favourites.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

snape

Civvies

Post by snape » Thu May 25, 2006 8:17 am

Somebody interested in "civvies"???
Jason with moustache!!!! uuuuuhhhh

Something else to share?

Kind regards Snape

Vig

Post by Vig » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:23 am

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:34 pm

QUICK! SOMEONE STAND BEHIND ME AND CATCH ME.....I'M FALLING!
Oooooh, La-La! *WOLFWHISTLE* WOW! He looks so handsome in those fatigues! (Oh, I just love a man in uniform! :adore)
~M'L :cool:

malfoygrandma

Buy Civvies and Loved Up!

Post by malfoygrandma » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:57 pm

:oops: Just learned of this site:

raretelevision.com

It is European, sells old films, reliable, takes US credit cards. I just bought Civvies and Loved Up, and will be looking for other of Jason's older tv series films at this site.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:34 am

This looks like a great source of DVDs. Be sure that you have an all-region DVD player.

malfoygrandma

Jason fantastic in Civvies!

Post by malfoygrandma » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:28 am

As one of his fans, I have tried to see every production in which Jason has worked, and I have yet to find one role in which he does not excel. I recently was able to acquire a copy of CIVVIES, and finally found an all-zone player on sale at Amazon, so now I am a complete, teary-eyed fan breathless before yet another wonderful performance in a very difficult role by Jason Isaacs! His scarred and damaged combat veteran, Frank Fallon, is just perfect, as good as his Mickey Ryan in DANGEROUS LADY. I am in tears as I write this, just remembering, and will go immediately to watch it yet again! Wonderful acting, wonderful script, wonderful directing!

Sea Lion Woman

Post by Sea Lion Woman » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:02 am

*hugs malfoygrandma* Sounds very intense! I've wanting to watch this since I first heard about it, because I heard it was quite good. But I doubt I can get it :(
What's it exactly about? I wanna know everything bout it!
<3

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:49 am

Civvies is about the difficulties a group of British combat veterans have in returning to civilian life (they are veterans of Northern Ireland or the Falklands, I think).
I haven't seen the movie/series?, but I've read the book, and I have to say, it was pretty annoying--the series of shitty decisions these guys make, over and over! just makes you want to smack somebody. It was pretty melodramatic.
That said, it's a topic that doesn't get a lot of examination, and like MG says, I bet JI's pretty damn good in it.

She was kind enough to send some screencaps--

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:31 pm

It's unlikely I'll ever be able to see this movie....

(the 3rd pic is a bit disturbing) :shock:

~me

malfoygrandma

Shitty? Come on!

Post by malfoygrandma » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:10 pm

It is much better than Brotherhood! And it is easy to get, just order it from raretelevision.com Tell them which region you can play. Their service is excellent, and Jason is just fantastic as usual!

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:48 pm

LOVE the hoodie.....where can I get one? :adore
~M'L(C) :cool:
{The scars are a bit too deep. :-( }

malfoygrandma

Hilary, sorry the book was no good!

Post by malfoygrandma » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:26 am

Hilary, about the book Civvies, I have no knowledge. But before I had a chance to buy and view DANGEROUS LADY, I ordered and read the book. And that book is absolutley horrible, and they really only used the title when they made the marvelously acted series in which Jason is just about perfect. So maybe British pop fiction is not for us!
The series features a squad of Paractrooper/Rangers who have been in service for 15 years, and their squad was very good at what it did in their war. Frank Dillon, Jason's character, was leader and exceptionally brave and cared for his men. But Frank's wife and two boys back in the slums of London want him at home, and he can get some retirement money, so he gives in to his wife to come home. But the employment dept. which seems to run something like our local Motor Vehicle offices, allowed no credit to him for the 15 years of superior service. He felt guilty about not finding work. His snotty motherinlaw found him a job at a construction site. By then, Frank had taken in a badly wounded, suffering comrade, to whom he had been very close. He took the man with him, and they were totally picked on by the worker and mocked for being ex-soldiers. Also, one of his comrades has taken a lucrative job with the local head gangster, played by Peter Toole! Frank had saved the ganster's son's life and the gangster wanted him to work for him, so he ends up a hoodlum, outside the law, a job at which he excelled because of his army experience. On from there, the violence escalates, he and his two comrades who work as gangsters finally get caught and sent to prison. Jason is great in this role, and the script is very good, as is the directing. I have great sympathy for these combat stressed veterans, having made friends with many Viet Nam vets. Their mental illness could probably be helped and even cured, if the army and the VA really worked at it. I have seen and heard true stories so similiar to this film's that I believe it, and love it too, because of the way I feel about those soldiers!

malfoygrandma

Civvies BAFTA award!

Post by malfoygrandma » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:42 pm

Somebody saw my six videos of Civvies on YouTube and emailed to tell me that it won the BAFTA award for best makeup of the year, that year it was first shown! I certainly can see why! They made Jason look much older than he was then, about 29 I believe, and looking at other work years after that he still looks like a kid!

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:12 pm

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0182008/awards

it did win for makeup, maybe because of the scars and tatts....
thanx MG, I didn't know about the makeup award...

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:32 pm

Thanks for this trove of information, MG!
I agree with your assessment of Dangerous Lady, the novel--overwrought rubbish. I thought it very accurately captured the attitude of that class toward law enforcement, but--while it may have also been reflective of the time and place--it's also full of casual racism and misogyny (Maura goes at one point to visit one of "her" whores, to give her some money after her boyfriend beats her up or something, and the tone is plainly congratulatory: what an enlightened and supportive "employer" Maura is! :loco ). Again, I'd be more willing to accept that as appropriate for the characters if it had just been a little better-written.

(I just went and checked, and found to my surprise that DL appeared 5 years before The Krays. I coulda sworn the Krays came first.)

Return to “Jason Isaacs's Film, TV and Theatre Library”