Yowch--this is harsh. . .

This BBC/BBC America miniseries, filmed in Toronto, was broadcast on 2 November 2006 on BBC1 in the UK, and in the US in February 2007.

Moderators: fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius, kate, again

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:32 am

I enjoy BBC America just the way it is....
figures, now it's going 2B changed....

mariagare

Post by mariagare » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:33 am

wolfsaver wrote:JI-TV-hmm-now there's a thought......
Pardon the Simpson's reference but the thought of 24/7 JI-TV has given me Corey Hotline flashbacks.
"Hi, you've reached the Corey hot-line. $4.95 a minute. Here are some words that rhyme with Corey: Gory. Story. Allegory. Montessori"

Although the visual medium does open some interesting possibilities.

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:23 am

This is just another example of how the ideas department are running out of ideas, so reality tv shows take over, where broadcast tv shows would've been.

Last night, was a re-run of 'Grey's Anatomy'. George is back to square one, and once again, a resident. B-O-R-I-N-G! :snore

Once again, we have the strike to blame. :rave
~marilaine :cric

kjshd05

Post by kjshd05 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:27 pm

getting back on topic for this thread, we can always watch our DVD
of TSW, to help us whilst this strike stuff is being sorted out...

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:58 pm

Coulddn't sleep the other night so I popped the original tape I made of TSW into the VCR and relaxed.
Don't have a DVD player with the bedroom TV but do have a VCR. Jason looks good, on tape or DVD. And on my new HD set he looks even better.

kjshd05

Post by kjshd05 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:40 am

the wonders of HD and blue ray...
TSW is one of my favs....Sir Mark....hubba hubba...LOL
Must be the "power" blue suit...

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:34 am

I might watch the series again to understand it a little better, the plot is a bit complex. I definitely will buy the dvd.

~me

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:41 pm

I had a hard time understanding the accents the first time thru but then remembered the closed captioning and that helped alot. I'm having a easier time now understanding all the accents on BBC so I don't need the captioning as much anymore. Try it. It really helps.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:03 pm

Not a bad idea, grannybear. :shock:
To be honest, I find it difficult to understand British accent, especially when they speak fast.

~me

Tavington's ShadowMagnet

Post by Tavington's ShadowMagnet » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:30 am

whisperwood wrote:
Gillian wrote:It's really a sign of the times. People just don't want to think anymore. Maybe it's a pay-off for not being more socially conscious and asking the tough questions of themselves and the institutions in power. Instead they get to feel better about their own lives by watching others make complete assholes of themselves.

That's the only way I can explain the rise in popularity of reality TV. Personally I find the entire genre complete and absolute shite.
HUZZAH!

I'm so glad to find that you guys feel like I do about Reality TV and 'stupid' television. I get really mad at stupid people. I for one enjoy learning, being challenged, made to think and discuss. I believe life is all about learning and that should be celebrated! I admit I enjoy the mindless humor now and then, but at least i don't make that my entire life.

In middle school, a friend yelled at me for using big words. "I never understand what you say!" Forgive me for being well read and thinking for myself. I can't even remember what I said. But I was in 8th grade/13 years old. It couldn't have been THAT intelligent. But I was reading adult level novels then.

The state of the world really depresses me. This is why I try to watch The History/Discovery/National Geographic channels. They have some reality shows of their own but at least I'm learning something. I used to watch Ice-Road Truckers and I still enjoy catching The Deadliest Catch when it's on.
I hate, despise and loathe these so-called "reality shows." Reality my arse!

And like you, I watch The History/History International/Discovery/HGTV/Food channels. I agree, they also have their own reality shows, but unlike those ones that CLAIM they're reality, these EDUCATIONAL channels are reality. Maybe quite boring for many people, but at least they'd have to use that melon on their shoulders. :bang

kjshd05

Post by kjshd05 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:45 am

to put it bluntly, Reality TV SUCKS....LOL

wolfsaver

Post by wolfsaver » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:24 pm

I'm so glad there are other people who feel this way. I can't even tolerate the advertising for these horrible shows. I don't understand the following for them. 9-11-now THAT was reality tv.

whisperwood

Post by whisperwood » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:47 pm

Well I think we all agree most people don't want to use their brains. I'm astounded when hosts like Jay Leno sends one of his guys into the streets to ask people American History they should know. I'm talking stuff you get taught time and again when you're a little child up to high school. And I'm sure they choose the most idiotic people to air to get laughs, but knowing people like that exists makes me want to cry.

This reality tv... What can I say? most of it deals with spoiled rotten people who have never heard the word no. Or people with little to no morals. People who sleep around, do drugs and get drunk. Ok, people do that. But these shows usually have glamorous looking people doing stupid things. I had the misfortune of seeing an episode of Telia Tequila once. argh :bang

Now not all reality tv is useless. The educational ones have merit. But the ones with drama just for the sake of drama? Yugh. It's not even good drama. It's petty crap most of the time. Now I caught a few episodes of John and Kate plus eight recently. I'd been meaning to watch some of that. I found it very useful. I'm not a parent, but I basically help raise my sister and the show gave me a few ideas to help when she gets difficult.

P.S. And I happen to love Orangutan Island.

P.S.S. We really got way off topic here huh? :lol

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:52 am

I'd rather watch an all nighter of "Monty Python" than watch Tila Tequila.
Yuck! :spew2
I'm even sick of watching 'America's Next Top Model'.
I've never seen these alleged models do any CG ads or commercials.
nuke.gif
~marilaine :cool:

Wait, how did it get to talking about this on the TSW thread? :scratch

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:19 pm

Now I caught a few episodes of John and Kate plus eight recently.

Whisperwood, that's my guilty pleasure. Can't get enough of those adorable kids. Kate and Jon are amazing with them. Time will tell how they'll adapt to a world without cameras following them around 24/7 when they grow up.

Return to “The State Within”