My own opinion of GOOD

Good had its official UK premiere on 17 April, 2009; it is widely available on DVD and Blu-ray

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius, kate, again

malfoygrandma

My own opinion of GOOD

Post by malfoygrandma » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:21 pm

:shock:This fantastic movie did not get an OSCAR nomination, or anything else! I received my long awaited dvd of GODD from UKAmazon, and am still crying! It is beyond doublt one of the very best films in which Jason has ever appeared, and Viggo too.... the whole film is just fantastically good, and the people who need to see it, will not see it, because it will not show all over the US to show us the need for deep thought in our political choices..... The entire production is without a flaw. Jason can be so proud of this story and film for which he worked for seven years, and even risked his own money to keep it going. I had to go wash my face to quit crying after it ended. The depth of the writing, and the character study of the good German not seeing the evils of the Nazis till it is far too late, is all just great. I thank Jason for being the kind of man who stands firmly for his real convictions.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:19 pm

It is beyond doublt one of the very best films in which Jason has ever appeared, and Viggo too...
Ditto, malfoygrandma! :hands I loved "Good" too! This movie is very deep, deep enough to inspire philosophical thoughts, it touched me in a way that is difficult to describe... the story makes you think about the complexity of human nature.

~me

a.p.k.

Post by a.p.k. » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:47 pm

Well, I agree that it was an excellent movie, but just want to disagree in your description of it.

I don't think Johnny didn't "(see) the evils of the Nazis till it is far too late" at all.

He saw it entirely. He was just willing to let it go on, because he had his own life to lead, his own problems, and hey, it'll all blow over because "Hitler's a jerk." And then he was willing to join the Party in the end because, well, heck, they're in power now, you've got to play the game if you want to get anywhere, and maybe he rationalized it by saying that maybe he could bring about change from within, but he also knew he wasn't going to do anything to bring about that change and that it was all just rationalization and justification on his part.

Like Mr. Isaacs referred to so often in his interviews promoting the film, those little justifications and rationalizations we all go through just to live our lives at the comfort levels we've become accustomed to ... like wearing the GAP clothes made in the sweatshops in Southeast Asia, etc. As a small example.

It's actually a topic that's very close to me and my life, as an Israeli, and I've got a lot of rambling in my head about it, but first and foremost have to get my kids off to school. Will come back later to edit ...

Okay, am editing to say I've reconsidered the edit. This is the one little place on the Internet that's not roiling in hysteria on that particular subject, so am thinking perhaps it's better just *not* to discuss it and maybe it'll stay peaceful. Maybe.

One can always hope. (A line which covers a multitude of edits.)

Mistress

Post by Mistress » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:24 pm

Just seen the film today. It never ceases to amaze me how much I laugh when usually well spoken people like Jason in most roles he takes up, say some bad lanuage or thing not suitable for small ears, I though he and Viggo were a good pair, though shouldn't watch it in the middle of the night as now I could really do with a slice of cheese cake.
MM

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:10 pm

Cheese Cake? Cheese Cake? Did somebody say Cheese Cake? YUM!

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:29 pm

I must say that "Good" is one of my favorite JI movies.

~me

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:54 am

Mine, too. And it's the only movie I've (we've) only seen once. Had a lasting effect, no?

warriorprincess

Post by warriorprincess » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:13 pm

You would not want to forget the movie..............it has very powerful emotions attached to it!

Love Kathleen

Mistress

Post by Mistress » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:46 pm

Must admit I was a bit of a wreck a few times.
MM

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:51 pm

I saw this movie only once, Oct 2008, at the Chicago Film Festival
It was the US Premiere....

A very special person sent me the Region 2 DVD, which I received today..I had forgotten what a powerful movie this is...it stays with you, after the credits role....

I have to agree, this movie should have had more exposure and credit than it received...

thank goodness for a Region Free DVD....

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:08 pm

Amazon still has it listed for the future so here's hoping.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:18 am

Grannybear, I hope you'll be able to watch it soon!
This movie is absolutely amazing...

~me

Roz

Post by Roz » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:21 am

I just got this movie last week from UKAmazon and I am in total agreement with Malfoygrandma; it is one of the best films Viggo or JI has been in. Wow! Very profound and leaves one thinking long after the end credits have rolled by. It touched me as well, Angel, in a way that I can't quite put a finger on yet. Just wow!

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:35 pm

The film is amazing... I thought about watching it again a couple of days ago, but I couldn't. I hadn't fully recovered after the seeing the first time. When I saw it, I though it was very good... but I didn't realized at that time what a lasting effect it would have on me. Such a shame it didn't get a wider release in the cinemas.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:59 pm

I own the dvd and will watch it again! I love movies that make you think about your life.

~me

Return to “Good”