My own opinion of GOOD

Good had its official UK premiere on 17 April, 2009; it is widely available on DVD and Blu-ray

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius, kate, again

grannybear

Re: My own opinion of GOOD

Post by grannybear » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:03 pm

I don't think the distributers pushed it very much. Here in the States it got no publicity whatsoever. In fact it only opened in a couple of places.

SaraR

Post by SaraR » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:37 am

I think as the years go by and word of mouth gets around, more people will appreciate it and it will get more acclaim.

I will say this, if I were a history teacher, and teaching a class on World War II or the Holocaust and that era, I would show this film. I wish I'd been able to tell my professor about this last fall, but I didn't get the chance. I know he would really like it, and it would have fit in well with the curriculum of the class.

It's difficult in some senses, but it's a part of the story that has to be told and remembered, for all characters and sides to the story.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:27 am

I was planning to show this to my History class last year, but I couldn't get a subtitled version in time. Maybe next time...
It's great for use in class, it really shows that the nazis were just regular people. That's what makes it so scary.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:43 am

"Good" is not a commercial movie, it's a film to make you think and reflect on (and I can understand why it didn't get a wide release- most people tend to prefer Hollywood blockbusters :roll: )

~me

SaraR

Post by SaraR » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:47 am

thunder wrote:I was planning to show this to my History class last year, but I couldn't get a subtitled version in time. Maybe next time...
It's great for use in class, it really shows that the nazis were just regular people. That's what makes it so scary.
Yep... it's like the book 'Ordinary Men'... I seriously could not finish it. If you'll recall the scene toward the end with the records department, it was just totally blah for them to have all these lists of people they'd killed, shipped away or sent to work camps, and it was an exercise in desensitization. I've read and watched a lot on World War II, it's just part of life in my family, but that book did make me have really terrible visions of these people, drinking until they were in a stupor after carrying out the atrocities...

I felt pretty well-informed though, because of reading it. When I watched Good the first time, the notion that the camps were just 'resettlements in the east' or however he put it, had me bawling... Between that and the period of time that passed between Maurice being taken and John realizing that he should have helped him... you know it's not going to turn out good. I know a lot of people always look for the 'happy' endings, but that's not the reality.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:34 am

I haven't seen many movies about Nazism and the WW II, but.... "The pianist'" is one movie I recommend to everyone. It's a biographical film about a brilliant Jewish pianist (played by Adrien Brody) who survives the Holocaust, the music gave him the strength to survive and go through a dark period of History. I think it's a good movie, well-acted and dramatically moving (and very sad).

~me

SaraR

Post by SaraR » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:09 pm

It's a great movie. My sister bought it back after it was first out on DVD because she's a huge fan of Adrien Brody. It was very well done, and we both sat there speechless after it was over.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:11 am

Yeah I plan to rent it to watch it again soon. I saw this movie ages ago.

~me

Lizzie

Post by Lizzie » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:14 pm

I've recenlty seen this movie on our version of the British Sky and it was actually my brother who mentioned this to me. I wasn't really up-to-date with mister Isaacs' carrier for a while and my brother suddenly told me he had seen a movie with Jason in it and was immensly impressed by his acting in it. So of course I had to see for myself and it's a very 'bloody hell' sort of movie, if you know what I mean. I did manage to find it in a video store up in the Netherlands and have come across it here in Belgium too so despite the fact that there was little publicity, people will know about it eventually.

This movie had the same effect on me as "The boy in the striped pyjamas". Both have very dramatic endings and do what they were made for: they make you think.

Lizzie

inamac

Post by inamac » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:59 pm

It was unfortunate that the film was released at the same time as a lot of movies set in the same period (though nowhere near as sensitive and thought-provoking), and got rather lost and criticised as a result (most critics seemed to worry more about the lack of German accents/subtitles than the actual content - sometimes I despair).

It's worth finding the script of the original play and seeing where the film has enhanced the subtext and shifted the emphasis - you can see why Jason was so keen to make this.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:16 pm

I did not know that Jason had been working on the movie for 7 years, just to get it made and that he used some of his own money. He must be commended for his commitment and that as an artistic and social document it speaks to all generations. It made me sob and is a profoundly moving film; I cannot imagine the toll it took on him . A masterpiece that one day will get the recognition it deserves.

Return to “Good”