Dumb Waiter and the American Contingency

Jason Isaacs appeared opposite Lee Evans in this play by Harold Pinter for seven weeks in the spring of 2007, at Trafalgar Studios in London.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Miss Swillary

Amusing repartee

Post by Miss Swillary » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:15 pm

Thank you for your kind hyperbole, Gillian.
I wish I was in any state to be amusing--unfortunately, for reasons I simply cannot fathom, I haven't slept more than about 3 or 4 hours a night since before we left. I'm not normally troubled by jet lag, so I don't know what it is. I'm exhausted, but not at all sleepy. I've tried alcohol, no alcohol, Lunestra, no Lunestra--tonight it was chamomile tea and a soothing bath bomb from the Lush store at Covent Garden, but to no avail.
Fortunately the delightfully indulgent Char has left her laptop on and connected, so I am finally going to have a chat with you lot.

I didn't mean to be snippy about Cherrio, it just felt like the FanZone was gettin' all the love!! I helped Char upload the video--she had it hosted on another site, but inexplicably respondents were unable to view it.
Let's see...well, Kim asked him please to say a few words on a video (Kay may have pleaded for this, or it may have been Kim's idea, I don't recall). Char asked JI if he ever visited the Lost Girls; I interjected that she oughtn't to put the poor man on the spot, but he confessed that he did. I think the rest of his response was meant collectively--he is a little wary of singling anybody out or, conversely, neglecting anybody--and he said that he has visited, but only very rarely, and that to be honest, he usually does it for work reasons--to find a photo from Char's site or a review or article easily, because, he said, "you guys have the best archives". He continued that he didn't want to influence the tone or content of the boards, and he was afraid that if he did admit that he peeks in from time to time that we might change some aspect of our interactions. He wanted us to feel free to be as rude or silly or irreverent or lunatic as we liked, and that struck me as as good an intro as I was likely to get, so I said, "Speaking of lunacy..." and shoved Cherrio in her box in front of him.
He burst out laughing and took the box and said some effusively nice things--brushing aside her hair, for example, he exclaimed, "this is a work of art!" and somebody, maybe Catloveyes, said that the dolls had done really well for St. Jude and he cracked something about Cherrio having better legs than he does and finished with something else nice and complimentary, concluding, "this is completely twisted" or something to that effect, to which I admitted that that's certainly my child's take on the matter.
KJ has been in contact with a wonderful photographer from whom a number of JI fans have purchased (quite reasonably, I may add) some very lovely, high quality pictures of JI, and Keith and his wife (who is a big Harry Potter fan) had come to meet us. They were really terrific, and Keith snapped any number of shots with his bigass camera, using poor KJ as a bipod, and he called out to Jason to hold Cherrio up for a snap, which JI obligingly did, and directed me to stand closer (I had been standing sort of behind and beside him), at which I demurred, "oh, do I have to?" but, well, anything to improve the auction results, right??
We told him that Char's calendar had also raised over $700 for St. Jude, and he said he was so pleased, it was one of his favourite charities. He reminded us that he supports Great Ormond Street Hospital (duh--hey, he may not, but I read this board regularly).
Helen, I did remember the peanut butter--it also made him laugh. He said he has a whole case of it "in his loft". (A whole case?? How did he get it? It seemed to arrive randomly in grocery stores--lots o' the flying brat, a fair number of Tink, and few Capt. Hooks) He said he'd been quite tempted a while ago--he'd been really hungry and thought, say, I know where there's some peanut butter...we shouted in horror at the thought of eating it (as foodstuffs go, it is pretty old) and he said something about it being unlike the natural kind and absolutely loaded with trans fats and so on.
There was a young woman there who was originally from Sri Lanka. She shyly asked if he would sign her poster for her, and he said of course he would love to. He asked her name, and she spelt it for him. He carefully wrote it down, repeating it aloud, and she marvelled, "You can actually pronounce it!" I told her that (as Carole reported) he speaks Spanish as well. I asked where the Spanish came from and he said carelessly, "oh that's a public school education for you" (except that I'm not certain he said public, since that has a different meaning here). I asked if he'd really taken it in school, since that seemed like a curious choice for an English person, but he said oh yeah. He said Spanish was dead easy, because it sounds just like it looks and looks just like it sounds. He'd also had a sister-in-law from Columbia (I think) for a long time--then he amended that to say that it was actually about 18 months, but he still kept in touch with her.
It was, as usual, really chaotic--all the women calling questions and comments at once, and passing things around, and other fans trying to sneak a moment in between, and constant posing for photos and getting yet another thing autographed. He talks very coherently as he writes, a thing I could never manage, and appeared very comfortable and at ease with us. There had been a huge crush of fans at the matinee performance, but to our astonishment, many of them seemed interested exclusively in Lee Evans; they swarmed him and then buggered off (the FOOLS).
The bottle JI brought us the first night was Veuve Clicquot (NV)...nobody paid any attention to it! and Bread and Jam's DH came and opened it for us, I think, pouring some into all 8 cups (?) that JI had brought.
I thought that bringing champagne for your fans was a terribly magnanimous gesture.
After the evening performance's fan reception, he went striding up the hill toward the street, thanking us again for all our carbon-chucking, ozone-destroying gallivanting in his support, which I'm not sure the other women heard; I shouted back that we were purchasing carbon-neutral credits, which I'm not sure he heard. Okay right now this is a lie, but I am filled with good intentions.

So....yeah. Pretty danged amazing.
Also saw the Hogarth exhibit today at the Tate, for anyone who's still awake here (LIKE ME GODDAMMIT). Spent over an hour, saw roughly half of it. It is amazing how modern his painting style--at least in the portraits--looks. It was completely chocka in there, not even taking into account the bigass strollers (??? have you people not heard of BabyBjorns??), and many of the works were surprisingly small and very detailed, so it was kind of a pain trying to view them properly.

I hope to have a photo or two to share with you soon---in the meantime, you guessed it, check on the 'Zone. (oh, Kay sent us flowers at the flat!!!! This is entirely in character, but still overwhelmingly sweet and generous).
We've been having a cracking time and I am sorry for anyone who doesn't get the chance sometime, some way. :hug

Miss Swillary

And by the by, Gillian--

Post by Miss Swillary » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:45 pm

I am astonished at having to remind you: I am not a Yank. :razzlite

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:54 pm

I knew I'd get a rise out of you. :twisted:
(And my apologies to both sides of the Mason-Dixon line. It's just some good-natured ribbing we Canadians like to indulge in.)

Well, where to begin?

Sorry to hear about your raging insomnia, but I think that adreneline probably has as much to do with it as anything. Which reminds me. You guys still have another performance to go, right? Or is it just the *DRUGS* talking? Because if I'm right, once you've seen the final show, that adreneline rush is gonna be replaced by the 'adreneline crash' -- and damn, that can suck majorly especially on the return flight home. In fact if I were you, I might want to top up on caffeine and opt for the recovery stateside, unless dancing demons on airplane wings is your thing. Or at least try to power nap occasionally (but not during the play cause that would be *funny*embarassing*funny*).

Oh! And doesn't Cherrio look swish! Glad to see she was formerly introduced. I like how she presents herself too -- so coquettish in her fishnet stockings, the tease! I hope she takes a place of honor in his home before Lily nicks her.
He continued that he didn't want to influence the tone or content of the boards, and he was afraid that if he did admit that he peeks in from time to time that we might change some aspect of our interactions. He wanted us to feel free to be as rude or silly or irreverent or lunatic as we liked, ..
Dude worries too much. Seriously. We've known of his visits forever, and if it hasn't affected us already, it damn sure ain't gonna affect us now. Besides, I'm too stubborn to change for ANYBODY at this point, as I'm sure a lot of people here feel. It's home, it's comfortable and that's the way (uh huh, uh huh) I like it.

Now I assume that Keith will be spreading the joy? Because I can't think of anything more titular than professionally photographed snaps. Did you give him our addy too, cause I'd love if he could swing by for a chat.
... he said something about it being unlike the natural kind and absolutely loaded with trans fats and so on.
Jesus Christ on a stick! What does that bode for the Peter Pan chocolate bars I supplied to him at Sundance? I hope that he has more sense ... unless he likes the trots.

So what's next on the itinerary? St. Martin in the Fields, National Portrait Gallery? Or have you already covered those?

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:39 pm

Well, Miss Swill . . . you sure don't disappoint! I read your post aloud to DH, and my jaw was aching: from the length (appreciated) and from laughing (doubly appreciated).

Insomnia sucks majorly. I feel your pain. But I have to agree with Gillian: it's the adreneline and Jason, with a little 5-hour time change thrown in. Try some lavender. I keep a candle on my nightstand and sniff it before bed (lit candles and sleeping don't mix). If sleepless nights still persist, a ball-peen hammer is sure-fire applied directly to the frontal lobe. :hit

Keep up the wonderful reports and pix, Ladies! We're lovin' it!!

Helen

malfoygrandma

you lucky gals!

Post by malfoygrandma » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:34 am

My connection has been broken down, as am I!, and though I would have loved to come there, that was not in the fates.....so thanks for all the nice reports, films, pictures, and all that. Wonderful Sharing! :D

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:15 am

Welcome back, MG! Glad everything's up and running again.

Moira

Post by Moira » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:26 pm

Thanks for the wonderful story of your trip, and the great photos! I'm envious that many of you have met. It sounds like you had a lovely time!

I haven't seen anything about your visit at the FanZone. I confess I don't have enough time to annoy more than one JI forum, so I'm hanging around here, you poor souls.

(I told a friend how much I enjoyed the mature, articulate, intelligent, talented regulars here, and their posts. So my friend took a look. She informed me with some alarm that I should "Shut up!" Ya gotta love friends who'll tell you things like that. ;-) )

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:51 pm

I haven't seen anything about your visit at the FanZone.
She's been damn near invisible. But given their schedule, that's quite understandable. Look for more cogent squeeing as time allows. :D

My_Love_4_Jason

A Big Thank U To All

Post by My_Love_4_Jason » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:01 pm

I don't post much, keep forgetting how to get in here but found my way!
I too am from the zone under another user ID, Jason06061963
I have at least one of my latest favorite pic next to me, like I was there in person myself, no, not the belt undone :D
I have thoroughly read what has been said in here, love the pic of Jason showing more than just above the waist, all of him, thanks to the one who took that pic.
I will try and remember to come in here more often, if not catloveyes will remind me!
{Hugs}
Barb.

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:32 am

Nice to see you again, Barb!

I imagine the fabulosity will continue once all the girls return and have a chance to upload their pics. They're not all leaving at the same time though. Hil was supposed to arrive back yesterday (or today -- not sure if she took the red-eye) and I believe Char and a few others are staying a while longer.

Then they have to recoup from the jet lag of course.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:05 pm

Char, Kate J., Hilary, Kate P. and I all came back on Sat the 24th. But although I don't feel jet lagged - there are phone calls to make, unpacking, laundry, no food in the house, hubby hugging, kitty hugging ..... and all the other stuff one must do when one returns from a long fun trip. And don't get me started on the fact that I have to go to work on Monday.................................

Cheers,
Marie

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:15 am

Welcome back, All! Can't wait, but will patiently, for all your in-depth stories! :D

Helen

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Home again, home again--

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:07 pm

As you may imagine, it's all a bit of an anti-climax!
Kate J and I enjoyed a very uneventful and tedious flight home--the greatest threat to our health was our terrible boredom. It's a longass flight. It got to the point that the appearance of a bun in a cardboard box elicited squeals of delight--not that the food was tasty, it was just something to DO!! Kate's good company, don't get me wrong, but I can only take so long being cooped up in a glorified phone booth before I am ready to GET OUT.

I found to my horror that I'd only taken a very few photos of Jason Isaacs--I kind of expected that Char and others would take lots of pics, so I didn't bother much. Several of the ones I did take were utter rubbish. Here's the few that are presentable:

I think he was looking at Kathleen's book in that one.

Ummm...giving directions to the nearest public loo??

Huh, I guess I took these all during the matinee.
I'll have to come back later and rave on about the flats Char arranged--they were even better in real life.

EternalStudent and I enjoyed a lovely couple of days together, and then she popped by to pick up her car from our house on her way home on Sunday, so I can report her safe return as well. We snagged cheap tickets to see David Bamber and Anne-Marie Duff in The Soldier's Fortune at the Young Vic. I enjoyed it very much--Restoration comedy is not Pat's utter fave, but she suffered through it in great good grace. She also took me 'round Liberty, until I had reached maximum Textile Lust level.

Here's a few more shots--

The scary creepy gate to the churchyard of St. Olave's, Hart Street:

Must take little dog out--be back!

and another detail:

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:10 pm

...p.s.--welcome back, Barb, and it's good to see you as well, MG!

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:30 pm

Awesome gate photo Hil - boy that picture really makes me want to go to church (not!) :shock:

You took more pictures than me - I think I had a sum total of about 20 (including the now infamous Swillary photo which still resides happily on my camera!) Lucky for us there are lots of photos including some from our professional photographer Keith (yes yes that photographer to the Lost Girls and FanZone stars!!!)

It's kind of tough being back at work today - my body still feels like it is in another time zone. How does Jason do all that traveling and still look so good damn him?

I must say that even though the second flat was very beautiful and had the most wonderful view of Big Ben - it was not in a good location for getting the tube and as for good food being nearby - it was not not happening (not to mention the train noise that started at 4:30 in the morning) but of course they won't put those things in an advert will they?

The first flat really had character - although I will admit that I was not among the dungeon dwellers that had to put up with the heat and humidity that the ultra sucky washer and dryer put off. But the place was a 1700s row house and really cool - Ben Franklin stayed a few houses down on our same street. Lots of room and very close to not one but 2 tube stations. And lots of great food to choose from. Fabulous!!!!!

Great trip!!!!!!!!

Return to “The Dumb Waiter”