Jason to star in BBC Drama (based on Kate Atkinson Books)

Based on the popular and critically acclaimed novels by Kate Atkinson, this mini-series was shot on location in Edinburgh and was quickly followed by a second season.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Re: Jason to star in BBC Drama (based on Kate Atkinson Books

Post by thunder » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:20 am

I definitely think he knows it can be developed into a longer series, it would be really strange if they hadn't told him that...

This says SAFE is an unscripted project: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/f ... ity-172440

I remember him saying in an interview (long time ago), that there's one project he is trying to develop, and one project he is trying to write. So I think SAFE is the develop. And I think write is the thing he was/is working on for BBC... I can be wrong again, of course. But the optimist in me believes it's two different projects. :D

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:09 am

Nice to know it's slated for BBC1 and not 2 or 4.

Inamac, as an interested party from across the pond, I'd like to know what the difference is among the BBC stations.

inamac

Post by inamac » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:14 pm

Helen8 wrote:Nice to know it's slated for BBC1 and not 2 or 4.

Inamac, as an interested party from across the pond, I'd like to know what the difference is among the BBC stations.
BBC1 is the 'popular' channel - it's full of reality TV shows, soaps and (admittedly) Doctor Who. Plus what little sport you find on terrestrial TV in the UK.

BBC2 is slightly more intellectual and quirky - this is where you find things like 'Top Gear', QI, and documentaries like 'Life on Earth' - before they transfer to BBC 1)

BBC3 is the 'Yoof Channel' - it takes the Dr Who Confidentials and off-the-wall unfunny 'comedy' (and 'Family Guy').

BBC4 is 'Kulture' with a Capital K - classy documentaries, Opera and Drama (with a Capital D) - this is where 'The Curse of Steptoe' garnered their highest viewing figures ever.

1 and 2 are terrestrial stations, 3 and 4 are 'freeview' digital and satellite stations.

You can probably access the 'Radio Times' - the most comprehensive of the UK TV listings guides (it includes Radio) online - http://www.radiotimes.com/

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:39 pm

Thanks, inamac! So, series such as Upstairs, Downstairs; I, Claudius; Duchess of Duke Street; et al. appeared on BBC4?
Seems like that's where I'd park my TV.

inamac

Post by inamac » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:23 am

Helen8 wrote:Thanks, inamac! So, series such as Upstairs, Downstairs; I, Claudius; Duchess of Duke Street; et al. appeared on BBC4?
Seems like that's where I'd park my TV.
Um. Well, when those series were made BBC3 and 4 didn't exist! And Upstairs, Downstairs was made by ITV, not the BBC (though the recent re-make was BBC). BBC1 also takes costume drama (most recently Downton Abbey, Larkrise to Candleford) and 'popular' thrillers (Old Tricks, Waking the Dead), which may be why Case Histories is scheduled for BBC1 - they expect it to be popular. *g*

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:54 am

ITV made the Upstais Downstairs that was shown on PBS back in the 70's???? I thougt t was the BBC also.

inamac

Post by inamac » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:23 pm

Marie wrote:ITV made the Upstairs Downstairs that was shown on PBS back in the 70's???? I thought it was the BBC also.

A lot of British TV shown on PBS was made by ITV - particularly thrillers, including the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes, Morse, Taggart, Prime Suspect. Midsomer Murders... For some reason there is an assumption in the US that all good British TV is made by the BBC - that is not, and has never been the case. These days it's mostly made by independent companies and sold to the highest bidder - Case Histories could just as easily have been bought by ITV (or - frightening thought for those of us who don't have satellite - Sky).

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:49 pm

there is an assumption in the US that all good British TV is made by the BBC

They just have good PR over here. So, it bodes well for Case Histories.

BTW, which station showed Monty Python?

inamac

Post by inamac » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:48 am

Helen8 wrote:
BTW, which station showed Monty Python?
Python was BBC 1 - first broadcast in September 1969 when BBC2 was only 5 years old and a lot of households still didn't have sets that received the signal. And BBC1 didn't start broadcasting in colour until November '69.

And, (to keep slightly on-topic, before you ask) Steptoe and Son was also BBC - mostly before the advent of BBC2.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:45 am

Wow - I learned a lot here. Thanks inamac!

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:51 am

Wow. These days it's hard to imagine only 1 or 2 stations. There were 3 major stations in the U.S. with as many local stations and PBS when I was a kid.
Now, with upwards of 700 stations, sometimes there's nothing good to watch. :scratch

But we have Case Histories to look forward to. :D

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:30 pm

But when will it come to the States?

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:29 pm

This says SAFE is an unscripted project:
I loathe reality shite with every fiber of my being, so I was profoundly dismayed by that, but way down at the bottom of that article, which IS full of "unscripted" stuff, is this: "To be sure, Salke and his 21 team, lead by his top creative lieutenant Jane Francis, have no plans to scale back on the scripted. Much the opposite. The studio has projects in development with . . . Jason Isaacs."

And thanks for that elucidating analysis, inamac!

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:14 am

:oops: I should read things more carefully before posting about them, I think. :hit

I though it was strange, because I read some other place that a screen writer was working on it...

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:10 am

no worries thunder, I read that same thing...cause at the time, I was thinking, if Jason wrote this, why do
they have a screenwriter working on it??? then, DUH, to help....I would not be able to write a script....

Return to “Case Histories”