First Episode - SPOILERS

Based on the popular and critically acclaimed novels by Kate Atkinson, this mini-series was shot on location in Edinburgh and was quickly followed by a second season.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

laurielove
Location: Probably somewhere in a ruggedly fandabydozy part of England

First Episode - SPOILERS

Post by laurielove » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:17 pm

Breathe.

OK. Loved Jason. Loved Jackson. Loved the accent. How the hell he managed not to let it slip amongst all those Edinburgh accents is a miracle.

He played Jackson perfectly - and he grew on me. (I have to be objective here.) The scenes with his daughter were WONDERFUL. The scenes where the script allowed some humour in were wonderful. He has an affable very very human Everyman quality to him in the character which is very unassuming and appealing.

The production ... it took a leetle beet of time to convince me, to be honest. Too much background music. The times when they resorted to Jackson's favourite female country singers was when it worked best. Other than that, it slightly detracted from the human element and trivialised the storyline. (sorry - that's not a criticism of J, just the production) I know the book - in a way I wish I didn't. I was trying to watch it entirely with fresh eyes. I think they could have made it more raw and human. It felt very Sunday Night. But it got a lot better as it progressed. Umm ... I really wish I didn't analyse things too much. Poor J - left with blood pouring out of his head, with no kit on his top half on a cobbled street on a freezing Edinburgh night. Roll on tomorrow.

On the totty front -

It took a good forty minutes for him to get his kit off! Bloody hell. There was a lot of jogging. A lot. Jogging results in hot, sweaty man. That was good. Hot, sweaty man was very very good. And then he dug a grave for a dog. That was good too. And then he had to wash after getting all hot, sweaty and dirty. That was even better.

There was a brief moment of a woman gettin' jiggy with him (very jiggy - jiggy being the operative word, in fact) - although he looked regretful and detached. Quite right too. And she had ulterior motives. Bitch.

All in all - Case Histories is all about a normal decent bloke around whom bizarre and horrible things happen. As that, this production worked. At its heart you felt a normal, decent bloke around whom tragic things were happening. LOVE the normal, decent bloke - it took me a little time to be convinced by the tragic things going on around him.

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Re: First Episode

Post by Chari910 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:29 pm

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:19 pm

Eeeeeeee!!! You both make it so hard to wait!!

Wonderful analysis, laurielove! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us.

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:31 pm

thank you to the AMAZING CHAR :hug

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:10 pm

I'll do more when I have the HD files. :D

kjshd05

Post by kjshd05 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:01 pm

crawfoc99

Post by crawfoc99 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:57 am

Thank you Laurielover for an insightful review of the first episode of Case Histories. :woot Now I want to see this series even more.

Your screencap site is already looking excellent Char. I know we'll be viewing your site for regular updates.

Looking excellent!

Hooroo,
Carole

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:10 am

Thanks, Char. The caps are excellent :D

kjshd05

Post by kjshd05 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:40 am

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/ratings/c ... 45.article

5.4 million viewers watched this episode

crawfoc99

Post by crawfoc99 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:51 am

I've just finished watching the first episode. Absolutely loved it. Been tweeting about it as well.

A polished, well done production. Edinburgh shines and doesn't seem at all gloomy and dark (maybe it just seemed that way when I was there LOL). :D

Jason is excellent as the sensitive, caring detective Jackson Brodie. He's tough, buff and just the sort of person you would want on your side when you had a problem.

Millie Innes is just adorable as Marlee. I like the disjointedness of the plot, as it fits exactly with the written and audio books.

I quite liked the score, interspersing haunting orchestral music with soulful country ballads.

I know I'm going to like this drama series, A LOT! Good one Jackson getting a 'knee trembler' in the first episode.

Can't wait for episode 2.

Hooroo,
Carole

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:59 am

Thanks for the personal review, Laurie and Carole. And the link, Kim.
And to Char, well, what can one say.....

RoseannaLara

Post by RoseannaLara » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:17 am

Ashley Pharoah, the series writer did well in adapting the book to the TV screen.

Jason portrayed Jackson very well, as the sensitive Detective who helps Individual's whilst coming to terms with his own tragic past of the murder of his Sister and sucide of his Brother.

The rest of the cast seemed well suited to their roles, though I have to say I found it hard to envision Phil Davies as Theo Wire, I wouldn't go as far to say that he was miscast as he is a good Actor it is just lt that isnt how I pictured Theo from the book.

Thanks Laurie for the full episode breakdown.

Roseanna x.

kjshd05

Post by kjshd05 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:20 am

seems women are 'throwing themselves' at Jackson Brodie (who can blame them? LOL)

I was surprised how much of the book is still in the screen play.
Ashley Pharoah did a terrific job...

between the sweating and smoking, I'm luvin it LOL

looking forward to the remaining eps...

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:22 am

The sweating is OK but lets do away with the smoking. I know how long it took me to stop especially since I started up again after 13 years. Off again now for 24 years.

Hopefully they are using those herbal cigarets that I understand they use in smoking scenes now.

kjshd05

Post by kjshd05 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:23 am

did notice he was not inhaling, does that count?

herbal cigs?? never heard of that before...did know oregano is used to imitate pot...

saw that on tv...LOL

Return to “Case Histories”