Case Histories 2 reviews - SPOILERS!!!

Based on the popular and critically acclaimed novels by Kate Atkinson, this mini-series was shot on location in Edinburgh and was quickly followed by a second season.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

crawfoc99

Re: Case Histories 2 reviews - SPOILERS!!!

Post by crawfoc99 » Tue May 28, 2013 9:27 pm

Not really a review, but a preview of this Sunday's final episode of Case Histories.

https://twitter.com/RubyFilmandTV/statu ... 61/photo/1

Again, thanks go to the wonderful @TubyFilmandTV on Twitter.

Just the thought of Jackson with twinkle lights around his bed LOL. :lol

Hooroo,
Carole

laurielove
Location: Probably somewhere in a ruggedly fandabydozy part of England

Post by laurielove » Wed May 29, 2013 1:45 pm

Good ol' Radio Times. Pick of the Day. Yippee! Alison Graham is a fan, but doesn't seem to have realised Jackson redecorated his bedroom for Marlee.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:18 pm

Review of tonight's episode:
http://primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk/case ... ive-drama/
Case Histories wouldn’t be half as good if it weren’t for Jason Isaacs whose performance in this final episode should surely earn him a BAFTA nomination.
Amen!

laurielove

Post by laurielove » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:18 pm

:shock: :mrgreen: :shock: :mrgreen: :adore :wheee :adore :shock: :mrgreen: :adore :wheee :wheee

Words fail me.

OK. Umm ... it was a great episode and he was fantastic in it, as was the entire cast. I even liked Natasha Little a ... little. It was pretty heart-rending all round. I mean, gut-wrenchingly so, but so well done.

And then there was all the other stuff.

My hormones will never be the same again.

How to put it?

Babies. Men and babies. Jackson and babies.

I think I need to lie down in a quiet room. So, I'm off to do just that.

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:04 pm

Thanks for the prompt review, LL. Can't wait to see it ;-)

servalan

Post by servalan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:23 am

! SPOILERS !

I enjoyed the last episode. Jackson's relationships with the women in his life are so complicated! I missed Marlee, who was not in this episode, and all traces of her had been removed from Jackson's house. The fairylights at the foot of the bed would seem to be his, unless he just left them there - the bedroom was not the pink-fest designed for Marlee's return, but was mainly virginal (!) white. I'm not actually sure how many bedrooms that place is supposed to have anyway? There could be two.

I liked the way yet another strand from Kate's stories worked its way into Jackson's life - his latest love interest, Charlotte, turned out to be the fortune-stealing "wife" excluded from the series 1 adaptations. Jackson never seems to have any money, which is one reason why Deborah walked out for another job - and his luck on the horses last week will not now be the saving of his business since Charlotte's swift exit as a well-known con artist.

Julia is obviously lying about the paternity of her newborn son, delivered by Jackson in a typically soapy emergency birth (he even tore her knickers off!) To the very end, she said he was not Jackson's, but it's obvious he doesn't believe her story. The adoring look in his eyes with the baby, followed by the hurt look as she lied yet again - well you know how well Jason does emotions, it was heartbreaking.

As for Louise - it all looked for a little while as if it might work out for them, after she told Jackson she had split from her new husband - till Jackson blew it yet again! Why not take someone out for a lovely meal, and then dump them in public? :roll:

There were two crime storylines, as the link in a post above describes. The man who was responsible for the child snatching in Munich wanted Jackson to find his daughter. That seemed to fulfil Jackson's payback for Tracy's new identity in the first episode, so if there is a third series, maybe that's the last of him - or maybe not?

The other crime story involved some filming in North Queensferry, on the opposite side of the Forth from Edinburgh, at a house sited almost under the Forth (rail) Bridge - wonderful views of both Forth bridges from the house owned by the man and his son whose wife/mother had been murdered many years ago.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:57 am

Sad it's over for this time: :-( Luckily the DVD is on it's way!

This episode is kind of the Jason Isaacs showing off episode. I agree with the reviewer that he deserves a BAFTA nomination for this. He's great in the other episodes as well, but more's going on with Jackson in this than the others. So this isn't just him being compassionate with others,but acting out Jackson's emotions as well.(if that makes sense :scratch )

And yes, poor Louise. I felt really sorry for her in that scene, and thinking he's burned the final bridge, now. It may have been for the best though, I can't really see them work out well as a couple even if they have feelings for each other (you are free to disagree).

Hope we are getting more. A lot of loose ends (baby, Minyawi (if that's how to spell it) and Louise and Jackson, and also thought Charlotte got away a bit easy). And I want more because I just like it. Think it's my favorite of Jason Isaacs movies/TV. :hands

And rating was better than last week :D
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a48 ... ewers.html
Jason Isaacs's Case Histories gained back over 200,000 viewers for its third episode with 3.69m (15.6%) at 8.30pm.

laurielove

Post by laurielove » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:02 am

Those viewing figures aren't bad considering it was against a major football match (England v Brazil). The response on twitter has been overwhelmingly glowing. Please, please, please, BBC, let there be more!

It was quite an overwhelming episode, and it has to be said, it was aimed almost entirely at female sensibilities. Perfectly timed, in that case, for a night against a football match. I pictured women all over the country escaping upstairs with a glass of whatever to the TV in the bedroom while their partners stayed down and yelled at the big screen. The acting was superb, but I had more than my fair share of moments when I threw my hand onto my head and groaned in disbelief at Jackson's misfortune and relentlessly bewildering life choices. Poor Jackson, he really has no luck, to put it mildly.

Having withdrawal symptoms already.

CaseHistories

Post by CaseHistories » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:09 am

I am glad Charlotte is out of the picture. Happy relationships are boring. Give me Jackson and Louise anytime. I can watch their scenes over and over.

crawfoc99

Post by crawfoc99 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:09 pm

I've just finished watching Jackson and the Women for the 2nd time.

I agree with what everyone has already said. It is a wonderful 3rd act for the 2nd series of Case Histories. However I have a theory.

Jackson was looking forward to his date with Louise, then the incident happened at the club where he went to protect Samira and ended up killing her boyfriend Rhys to protect her from making that same mistake.

After that, Jackson's attitude changed and I truly believe he pushed Louise away to protect her. How can she, a detective inspector, be involved with him after that, especially when/if Rhys' body is found. I believe Jackson is protecting Louise from his actions. Louise herself said that something had happened between him asking her out and their meeting up.

Once more Jackson shows he is a man of character and strength, even if flawed. And like a good story ending, it leaves a few threads open for a possible third series. Nice to see Millee Innes' young brother play the young Aiden in flashbacks, even if Millee wasn't in the last episode.

Like many, I'm hoping the BBC will commission a third series. The DVD is also on its way, so looking forward to watching them all again soon.

Hooroo,
Carole

laurielove

Post by laurielove » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:11 pm

There is no doubt Jackson pushed Louise away to protect her after the bloody shite incident in the club. Just wish he'd ... ARGH!! Just wish he would have some luck occasionally. Does my head in.

The Beeb HAVE to commission another series. There is just too, too much to continue now. They've set it up perfectly to make everyone clamour for more. Well, here I am clamouring! :rave

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:12 pm

Well, I managed to spread the three episodes over two nights. That's actually pretty good for me as I have no willpower.

I thought the first, as an adaption of a novel, covered all the most important parts of the original material. The other two, as others have said, captured the spirit of the books and Jackson, which is the most important thing.

If I recall, there was some criticism about the adaptations the first time round as the books were so complicated. I wonder if having original, made for 90 minute movies screenplays/scripts, will make the episodes more accessible to viewers who haven't read the books.

I really, really want more of Jackson. But, I also want more Louise. (Jackson, Jackson, Jackson....sometimes I think that man needs a smack in the head to smarten him up, but clearly, that isn't the answer; if it were, he'd be a super-emotionally stable adult.) Julia, I can do without. I would go as far to say that I practically loathe that character Image, although I do like Natasha Little in other things I've seen her in. It's definitely the character.

I agree that there was less mumbling this time around. I went back once or twice to turn the subtitles on to check what was said, but for the most part, I watched without subtitles.

Return to “Case Histories”