Reviews

Based on the novel by Elie Wiesel

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Reviews

Post by thunder » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:25 pm

This is in German: http://sennhausersfilmblog.ch/2014/01/2 ... med-wyder/

I once spoke German as well as English. But I haven't really practiced German since high school, so I'm very rusty. I think I understood some of it, but not well enough to translate word by word. I'm also thinking this might be Swiss German, and maybe some expressions are different (?) - Some words I seemed a bit alien (But my German isn't that great to begin with, so maybe they are just German words that i didn't recognize).

So to sum up what I got from it: It is a very political film with a clear message, and Michael Sennhauser (the reviewer) wasn't sure if the movie's message was Elie Wiesel's message in the book (he hadn't read the book). The movie's message is that the state of Israel was being founded by terrorists, and will never get away from it... It ends with a collage of Israel's history up to building of the wall. The message is very "in your face", asking the viewers to make up their opinion (As I understood it, but again, I'm not very good in German). Further on, the production is great. Great acting and production design. And he talks about he characters and their relations and how they fit into the story. It looks like to me that JI may have some decent screen time in this (at least a couple of scenes).

Hope I didn't get it too wrong. :oops:

a.p.k.

Re: Reviews

Post by a.p.k. » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:30 am

thunder wrote:This is in German: http://sennhausersfilmblog.ch/2014/01/2 ... med-wyder/

I once spoke German as well as English. But I haven't really practiced German since high school, so I'm very rusty. I think I understood some of it, but not well enough to translate word by word. I'm also thinking this might be Swiss German, and maybe some expressions are different (?) - Some words I seemed a bit alien (But my German isn't that great to begin with, so maybe they are just German words that i didn't recognize).

So to sum up what I got from it: It is a very political film with a clear message, and Michael Sennhauser (the reviewer) wasn't sure if the movie's message was Elie Wiesel's message in the book (he hadn't read the book). The movie's message is that the state of Israel was being founded by terrorists, and will never get away from it... It ends with a collage of Israel's history up to building of the wall. The message is very "in your face", asking the viewers to make up their opinion (As I understood it, but again, I'm not very good in German). Further on, the production is great. Great acting and production design. And he talks about he characters and their relations and how they fit into the story. It looks like to me that JI may have some decent screen time in this (at least a couple of scenes).

Hope I didn't get it too wrong. :oops:

Is that the reviewer's depiction of the movie? Elie Wiesel's message in "Dawn" was nothing even close to that. The opposite, in fact.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:09 am

That's how I read the review, but I'm really bad in German. The reviewer will see the movie as he sees it, we may see it differently.
But since they end the movie with Israel's history up to present time, based on what the reviewers has said, I think they try to draw the connections between how the State of Israel was founded and what happened afterwards. And that's not in the book as far as I remember.

All we can do is wait to see it for ourselves, I guess. I hope it's soon.

CeliaBeck

Post by CeliaBeck » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:27 pm

The most recessions boring by a single account. I learned films to seen and to make on´s choice goody or bad.
I like the Art caracter film and JI never before disappointed.

@Thunder it reads well :D my German is not better and Englisch too.

Return to “Dawn”