Michael's Claddagh ring

Showtime brought us three seasons of this strong television drama, featuring large weekly doses of Jason Isaacs! Find articles, reviews, and viewer comments about Brotherhood--and add your own!

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Moira

Michael's Claddagh ring

Post by Moira » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:48 pm

I noticed that, in the first episode, when Michael embraces Tommy at Sunday dinner, Michael's wearing a Claddagh ring on his right hand.

In the symbolism of Claddagh rings, if one wears it on the right hand with the crown turned inward, it means the heart is open. If I'm seeing it correctly, that's how Michael is wearing it. Since the show pays great attention to detail, I wonder if this was intentional? If so, what does that say about Michael, first that he'd wear a Claddagh ring, and second, how exactly is his heart, if he has one, open?

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:41 am

I was at an acquaintance's birthday party over the weekend, which was held at an "Irish bar".
I am so overwhelmed by my present loathing of drunken, self-indulgent, sentimental wallowing by people who've never even BEEN to Ireland that I can't think straight to answer the question.

(and just for the record, my mother's maiden name was Grace Cassidy, so I hope I get a pass on that one)

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:17 pm

Sorry.
Culture shock, I guess...at one point the proprietor was bellowing at us through a microphone about our lack of synchronization in performing the arm motions to accompany a rendition of "The Unicorn". Why the hell is a song written in the 60s by Shel Silverstein considered an icon of Irishness???!

Plainly this whole topic is making me cranky.
I left out the part where we were coerced into rising to recite the pledge of allegiance en masse. With loud emphasis on the "under God".

WTF?????

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:12 pm

I thought the ring also symbolized loyalty, family, and love...
I guess Michael's heart is open, because he is not married (not that I think he ever would be)
I wear one, no I am not Irish, but I like the symbolism...
Michael also has the tattoos that symbolize his heritage...Irish flag, shamrock, celtic cross....
Love, Loyalty and family ties all together...
Hope that helps...

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:43 pm

*thank you for posting a cogent and pertinent response, Kim--something which was obviously eluding me! :hug *

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:00 pm

U R most welcome Hil :D

Moira

Post by Moira » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:44 pm

Hilary the Touched wrote:Sorry.
Culture shock, I guess...at one point the proprietor was bellowing at us through a microphone about our lack of synchronization in performing the arm motions to accompany a rendition of "The Unicorn". Why the hell is a song written in the 60s by Shel Silverstein considered an icon of Irishness???!

Plainly this whole topic is making me cranky.
I left out the part where we were coerced into rising to recite the pledge of allegiance en masse. With loud emphasis on the "under God".

WTF?????
LMAO!

Funny thing: My "bloodline" is mostly Irish and English, but I'm 1/4 Filipino. I was working at a shop I will refer to only as The Noble Savage Store. It sold Native America kitsch (made in China!) and high-end jewelry by Native artists.

As I have long, straight blue-black hair, black almond-shaped eyes, somewhat high cheekbones, and I'm short and "curvy," customers constantly asked me what tribe I belonged to and what reservation I grew up on. After several weeks of ethnic misidentification, including a moron who greeted me with "How!" (shouda said "Like this, Custer," and ripped his head from his shoulders), I decided it was time to embrace my Irish heritage and wear something that screamed IRISH, YOU BLITHERING IDIOTS.

I went to a St. Paul shop called Irish On Grand and bought a beautiful gold Claddagh ring with a green cubic zirconia heart and little diamond-like zirconia stones. (This was before I ever wathed Brotherhood and knew about Michael's ring).

The next time a customer asked what tribe I belonged to, I held up my Claddagh.

He paused. He said, "So you're French?"

The irony is, I grew up in the 60s being told I didn't look American and I should go back where I came from. Ya can't win fer losin'. :roll:

I didn't know Shel Silverstein wrote "The Unicorn!"

Moira

Post by Moira » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:55 pm

kjshd05 wrote:I thought the ring also symbolized loyalty, family, and love...
Yup. According to the card that came with my ring, "By tradition it is taken to signify the wish that love and friendship should reign supreme. Two hands cradling a crowned heart: the Heart for love, the Hands for friendship, the Crown for loyalty."

And then the stuff about how and where to wear it to signify basically if you're looking for a relationship or not.
I guess Michael's heart is open, because he is not married (not that I think he ever would be)
lordy help the woman who became legally entangled to Michael!
I wear one, no I am not Irish, but I like the symbolism...
Michael also has the tattoos that symbolize his heritage...Irish flag, shamrock, celtic cross....
Love, Loyalty and family ties all together...
Hope that helps...
It does, thanks!

I bought my ring before I knew it had any symbolism, just because it was Irish an' purty. I don't know if anyone will ever look at it and say, "You're wearing it on your left hand with the crown out, so you're attached, right?" (Reply, looking around, "Attached to what?")

I can see Michael having sentimental feeling towards the idea of Love and Loyalty of family, while not grasping that what he does isn't good for either.

Return to “Brotherhood”