Interview with Blake Masters about Brotherhood

Showtime brought us three seasons of this strong television drama, featuring large weekly doses of Jason Isaacs! Find articles, reviews, and viewer comments about Brotherhood--and add your own!

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Interview with Blake Masters about Brotherhood

Post by thunder » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:31 pm

Very interesting, in depth interview:

http://digitalairwaves.net/2011/04/02/o ... e-masters/

grannybear

Re: Interview with Blake Masters about Brotherhood

Post by grannybear » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:13 pm

Great interview. Loved that show and still miss it. He talks a lot about Jason Clarke but I think that Jason Isaacs was the whole show. But then what else would you expect from me.

wolfsaver

Post by wolfsaver » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:56 pm

I've been watching reruns on the 101 network. The more often I see this series, the more I appreciate how great it is. I really miss it.

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:14 pm

Jason Isaacs is a guy that would give thousands of notes, even when we were rolling. But the end result was a brilliant performance
:D :D Still Blake Masters would not give an inch....I think that was why Jason wanted to be a producer of this new Pilot.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:32 pm

Is there any part of the show that you’d do differently in retrospect?

We didn’t realize until late in season three that a little bit of humor will allow you to embrace the tragedy. We had a cast capable of it. It was something I think we could’ve done more of and [done] a little earlier.
Yeah. Damn straight.
Still, "Kiss me lucky tomato" will live on for me!
That was an interesting interview, Thunder--thanks!

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:17 am

that is an insightful interview, thanx thunder :hug

exactly, Char :woot Remembering a certain Providence conversation :woot

For me, Brotherhood is the defining role for Jason...I miss this show
I understand the reasons for season 3, but hated it. Season One is the best. The show/cast won a Peabody
Award for Season One.

I have mentioned before, but during the first 2 seasons, Mr Blake would frequent the IMDB threads, and he would answer questions.
He was very interested in viewer feedback. So was Jason :)

I asked if Jason was allowed to 'improvise' from the script, and he said NO...I was also worried how season 2 would begin,
I didnt want to see Michael in a hospital bed for weeks, and he assured me that would not happen...
Months after the show ended, I finally read somewhere about that final scene, with Michael in the trailer park.
It was filmed in Rhode Island, but was supposed to be New Mexico. I never knew that is where he went, until I read an
interview with Mr Blake and Henry Bromell (I also assumed that is where he originally back from)

here is the link, I dont know if the older threads are still there, or not:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0457229/board/

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:22 am

I understand the reasons for season 3, but hated it. Season One is the best.
I completely agree- to be honest I didn't like how the series ended.

~me

kjshd05

Post by kjshd05 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:33 am

reading the above interview with Mr Blake, I understand the reasoning for it...I found it difficult to watch the demise of Michael :shock:
Michael was such a strong character in Season One...

I lobbied for a Season 3, upon reflection, it should have ended with 2 seasons :(

No promotion, advertising, and moving the start time/day really hurt the show...seems more folks watch it now,
then when it was a series....OK, stepping down off my BH :soap

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:40 am

To me, it ended the only way it could. Michael would never lead a happy, normal life and Tommy would have to live with his demons.
I thought the show was one of the best I've seen. Like what was said in the interview Showtime didn't know what to do with it or how to publicize it. It should have become one of the classics but was left by the wayside. Showtime had one thought and that was Dexter and other good shows got left in it's wake.
Maybe it ended before it's time but better sooner than have it go on too long and lose it's character.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:45 am

Well, when we were in between of season 2 and 3, we couldn't know that season 3 would be the last one - so lobbying for a season 3 (and 4 and 5) wasn't a bad idea, KJ...
Problem was that in season 3 they had to come to a conclusion within 8 episodes without having planned for that from the start, and everything went the extreme way. When I re-watch episodes from season 3, it almost feels like a different series than season 1 an 2. I actually think the biggest mistake they did was to give Michael a brain damage. On a short term perspective, it was an interesting development, but it really limited their choices of where to go with the character and story after that. Season 1 is my favorite too.

kjshd05

Post by kjshd05 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:16 am

totally agree with grannybear and thunder :hug

I have always thought that each Season could stand on its own....

never liked the brain damage story arc, and more so hated that Michael never found out who hurt him :bang

wolfsaver

Post by wolfsaver » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:23 pm

Oh, I hated that too.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:13 pm

Sounds to me that Blake Masters didn't want input from anyone. Too bad because an actor lives with his character and sometimes their input can put a new light on things. Michael might have been a better written person if Jason had some input. I'm sure he had some thoughts.
Whatever..........It was still a fantastic show.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:50 pm

I agree with what everyone said, the brain damage story kinda ruined the outcome of the series (IMO). Jason's portrayal of a brain damaged guy was great, but I still wonder how things would have turned out if they had chosen a different development for the character. The series HAD to end on season 3.
But now it's time to move on, he's got many projects going and we have many things to look forward to (HP part2, Abduction, Case Histories etc).

~me

kjshd05

Post by kjshd05 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:27 pm

Brotherhood will always hold a special place in my heart...I traveled to Providence twice, and was able to
talk to JI both times I was there, about BH Season 2 and Season 3 ....fabulous memories.... :yip :woot

Return to “Brotherhood”