DVD News

Showtime brought us three seasons of this strong television drama, featuring large weekly doses of Jason Isaacs! Find articles, reviews, and viewer comments about Brotherhood--and add your own!

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:51 pm

Got mine today!!! Saw the box on the front step and grabed it with a little sing song "I know what this is...."

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:14 pm

Lucky Marie. :lol :wheee
I wish Wal-Mart or Target would carry this on DVD. :stirrer
~M'L(C) :D

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:52 pm

BROTHERHOOD: THE SECOND SEASON (Showtime)
**** 1 /2 (out of five)
Great mob drama on TV didn't disappear when "The Sopranos" said goodbye. If you're still going through withdrawal, your fix has been here all along.
Showtime's "Brotherhood" is the most underappreciated show on TV. Even on its own network, "Dexter" gets all the glory. It's to the point the upcoming third season will only get eight or nine episodes, and it was lucky to get that. It's baffling really - here's an intense drama that touches all the same bases as "The Sopranos," with perhaps an even finer ensemble of actors. Certainly Jason Clarke as Rhode Island politician Tommy Caffee and Jason Isaacs as his mobster brother Michael are two of the most fascinating characters on TV, and their family ties are put to the test in Season Two. As Michael recovers from his bashed-in head at the end of last season, he aims to take out crime boss Freddie (Kevin Chapman) -a fight that brings more bloodshed to 'The Hill' and more problems for Tommy, whose career ambitions keep getting thwarted by his brother's reputation (this is all inspired by two real-life Massachusetts brothers, by the way).

The supporting cast is even sharper this season, especially Ethan Embry as self-destructive cop Declan and the great Fionnula Flanagan as family patriarch Rose (where is this woman's name at Emmy time?). It doesn't start with the same zing as Season One, but by the end of its second year "Brotherhood" was clicking like few shows on TV. In fact, Sopranos fans may recognize that same bliss they felt in the early years.
As for bonus features, there's only one, and it's lame: The Season Three premiere episode of, you guessed it, "Dexter." Even on its own DVD, "Brotherhood" can't win.

From
http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/Articl ... ?e=1253541

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:10 pm

thanx Char, that was a good review of the Season 2 DVD...

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:41 pm

Char, thanks! That review says it all. Showtime doesn't realize what a great show it has. And, yes, the biggest kick in the teeth is the Dexter episode as the only bonus feature. :roll:

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:18 pm

Was in Target and Wal-Mart yesterday and out of curiosity looked at the DVDs and no Brotherhood anywhere to be found. I guess the only place peope can find it is online. Would be nice to see it in the stores.

mariagare

Post by mariagare » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:40 pm

So it's a weird thing that I procured my Season One DVD set at our local Big W (discount department store) earlier this year?

It's also surprising to me that Season One has been released on Region 4 and not Region 2.

Couldn't wait for the Region 4 release of Season Two and ordered the Region 1 version from DVD Pacific. Even though the DVDs arrived at my doorstep last week, I'm still watching the episodes on Showtime Australia (first airing of Season 2 started this week) so that I can watch the show's promos. As much as I love hearing JI's natural accent for a few seconds, I absolutely ADORE hearing Jason Clarke's natural accent. :mrgreen:

Wolfie

Post by Wolfie » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:12 am

I could only find it in Region 1.. and I don't have a region free DVD player.
Have been looking for a while, and finally a Norwegian online DVD-store got it. But only season 1..
So now I have pre-ordered it and searching for season 2 (region 2)
(It was on TV here, but they don't show it anymore sadly)

kjshd05

Post by kjshd05 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:17 am

a few years ago, someone on another site had mentioned there is a way to take your DVD player and make it a non region player....

there is actually a website (well, there used 2B), where you can look up the DVD Player that you have, and see if this can be done...

Try and Google 2C if this site still exists...

Region Free DVD players can only be purchased online, and they have become cheaper in the 3 years since I purchased mine.....but why buy a new dvd player, if you can convert what you have....

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:31 pm

there is actually a website (well, there used 2B), where you can look up the DVD Player that you have, and see if this can be done...

Try and Google 2C if this site still exists...
Thanks for the tip, I'll try to find this site :shock:
I bought a new dvd player last year, but it only plays region 1 and 3.

~me
Last edited by Angel Tavington on Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:33 pm

Before I was given a pre-hacked dvd player, I tried to hack mine. I searched a couple of sites, but couldn't find my model. There was very little information on the player itself that I could use to identify it, which was part of the problem.

Instead, I played my region 2s on my laptop. This was easy to, though I don't remember doing it. :???: I believe what happens is that you insert a region 2, then your computer automatically asks you if you want to change the region. Warning: I believe with most computers, you can only change the region 5 times.

There is also a programme that I downloaded which apparently allows you to play anything, bypassing your computer's query about regions. It is called VLC

I have it on my laptop, but to be completely honest, I don't know if I've ever used it. I may have had my region free player by then.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:21 pm

My computer plays all regions, I have CyberLink PowerDVD installed. :cool:
but, honestly, I prefer watching DVDs on TV rather than on my PC.

~me

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:32 pm

I'm with you Angel. I didn't get the honking huge and redonkulously expensive plasma TV to watch stuff on my little computer screen!!!!!

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:40 pm

fruitbat wrote:Warning: I believe with most computers, you can only change the region 5 times.
I know this is true for Macs. I've always gotten around it though with VLC player.
Handy little program, that.

kjshd05

Re: DVD News

Post by kjshd05 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:45 am

I dont know if this has been posted before, but here is a release date for BH Season 3 looks like the first episode??

REGION 2

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/AVV275734

Return to “Brotherhood”