SHOWTIME PICKS UP BROTHERHOOD FOR SECOND SEASON

Showtime brought us three seasons of this strong television drama, featuring large weekly doses of Jason Isaacs! Find articles, reviews, and viewer comments about Brotherhood--and add your own!

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

SHOWTIME PICKS UP BROTHERHOOD FOR SECOND SEASON

Post by Chari910 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:05 am

The best news we could have was announced today!

Showtime embraces 'Brotherhood'
Showtime has picked up the drama series "Brotherhood" for a second season. Meanwhile, HBO has opted not to renew its first multicamera sitcom, "Lucky Louie," for a second season. "Brotherhood," from Mandalay Television, has been picked up for 10 additional episodes. In its first season, the violent, profanity-laced drama series about brothers on opposite sides of the law was praised by critics but fared modestly with viewers. The show's premiere in July drew 454,000 viewers and 1.2 million viewers overall for the pilot episode's seven airings. "Brotherhood" marked the first Showtime series that got exposure on a broadcast network when the pay cable network's sibling CBS broadcast the pilot in primetime. (Nellie Andreeva)

To read full story You have to subscribe to Hollywood Reporter
http://www.tv.com/tracking/viewer.html? ... es;title;3

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:40 am

Blake Masters just confirmed the great news on IMDb boards

As a few on the boards have already noted, Brotherhood has been renewed for a 2nd season of 10 episodes. This would not have been possible without the passionate support of you its fans. Without your love of the show, I and all the people I work with would not get the chance to go do the work we love to do. So thank you.

p.s. since you're gonna ask.... We will shoot the episodes early next year and air probably in mid to late summer.
p.p.s. and since you're also gonna ask.... All the series regulars are under contract for season two, so take that for what you will....

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:19 am

I'm sure that Michael will live; otherwise, it won't be a story about two (2) brothers from Rhode Island: one good, one bad.

Thought this needed repeating over in this thread.:D

That's fantastic news! Lookin' forward to another rockin' summer. :helens:wheee

Helen

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:52 am

:monkeybutt I tolt you!!! Dint I done tell you???? Kill off Michael Caffee. Tchuh.
"Brotherhood: the suspenseful saga of a politician's (Jason Clarke) efforts to fend off his sister's demands to re-hire her hapless incompetent husband in picturesque Providence."

I don't think so somehow.

:hands Well, I hope all the principals are as thrilled as we are!!! Congrats to Mr. Masters and everydamnbody else!!!!

Malfoy Grandma

Renewed! Praise the Lord!

Post by Malfoy Grandma » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:56 am

nuke.gif Thanks for the great news! I am going to write to Showtime to thank them right now, and to let them know I would have cancelled my subscription to that network which my sweet husband bought for me just because I begged for the chance to watch Brotherhood!

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:09 am

I tolt you!!! Dint I done tell you???? Kill off Michael Caffee. Tchuh.

"Brotherhood: the suspenseful saga of a politician's (Jason Clarke) efforts to keep his mother from overdoing it with the mascara in picturesque Providence."

I don't think so somehow.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:30 am

Naw, see, that one would have to be Offspringhood or something.

And MG, I think that's a cracking idea--we're very quick to complain when something displeases us; we should be as quick to express our gratitude when companies take action we appreciate.
Last edited by Hilary the Touched on Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:57 pm

I think I'll go do that as well - this is great news!!!!!!!

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:42 pm

Um. A sister isn't a brotherhood.

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:41 pm

I think she meant Brother-in-law hood. :D

Both of you are hilarious.

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:19 pm

I am so looking forward to season two! Thanks for the news, Char!
Last edited by Gillian on Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:43 pm

Gillain, my pleasure!!

BonnieKate, are you still a subscriber to Hollywood Reporter? I would love to read the whole article.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:46 am

From the Providence Journal:

Brotherhood renewed for 2nd season

The Showtime series is based in Providence and features a politician and his criminal brother.

BY ANDY SMITH
Journal Television Writer

Brotherhood, the gritty Showtime drama about two Providence brothers on opposite sides of the law, has been picked up for a second season.

"I'm very pleased to announce we have ordered a second season of Brotherhood, to premiere in 2007," said Robert Greenblatt, president of entertainment for Showtime. "The first season concludes its initial run this coming Sunday, and we couldn't be more proud of this drama."

Brotherhood, filmed entirely in Rhode Island, stars Jason Clarke as Tommy Caffee, an ambitious state legislator, and Jason Isaacs as Michael Caffee, a criminal who reappears after a mysterious, seven-year absence.

They live in a fictional, working-class Irish neighborhood called The Hill.

Brotherhood debuted on the pay cable channel on July 9, and the final episode will air Sunday at 10 p.m.

A Showtime spokesman said 10 episodes have been ordered for the new season.

Production will probably begin in Rhode Island in early April, with the second season of Brotherhood scheduled to air next summer.

Showtime does not give out ratings numbers for the show.

Blake Masters, creator of Brotherhood, said he got the news Monday. "Obviously, I'm very happpy," he said. "The signs had been pretty good for the last couple of weeks."

Masters said he's been thinking about storylines for the show's second season, but none of the scripts has been written yet, and he doesn't want to give anything away.

Masters did say that all the main characters from this season will return for season two.

Steven Feinberg, director of the Rhode Island Film & Television Office, said he was delighted to welcome Brotherhood back to Rhode Island.

"Historically, this is the first television series to be filmed entirely in Rhode Island. It highlights what a remarkable success can occur when city and state officials work together with the private sector to foster a healthy environment for creative talent to shine," Feinberg said.

State Senate President Joseph A. Montalbano said Brotherhood was the impetus for a package of tax incentives for TV and film production that became law last year.

http://www.projo.com/metro/content/proj ... fbce4.html

Helen

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:49 am

From Zap2It:

Showtime Keeps 'Brotherhood'
Well-regarded drama gets a 10-episode second season

September 19 2006

Jason Isaacs and Jason Clarke in 'Brotherhood'Showtime has decided that the virtues of "Brotherhood" warrant at least another season.

According to the industry trade papers, low-ish ratings weren't enough to doom the Rhode Island-set drama. Showtime has ordered up a 10-episode second season in advance of its Sunday (Sept. 24) season finale.

Jason Clarke and Jason Isaacs star as brothers ruling Providence from both sides of the law, one working as a politician, the other as a gangster. The brutally violent drama earned strong reviews for Showtime and drew 454,000 in its first week, only to see those figures drop dramatically over the series run.

Because Showtime keeps its viewership figures close to the vest, it's difficult to get a perspective on just how low the show's average viewership of 241,000 per week actually is. That figure doesn't include on-demand or multiplex viewership, nor the audience that watches "Brotherhood" in any of its secondary airings.

"Brotherhood" got extra exposure in July when the premiere episode aired on Viacom sibling CBS and drew more than 3 million viewers.

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-showt ... ?track=rss

Helen

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:51 am

Masters did say that all the main characters from this season will return for season two.
OK that nails it - MC does NOT get killed. That would have been a terrific ending if Brotherhood was not renewed though.........

Return to “Brotherhood”