SPOILER ALERT: Lost Girls disussions of episodes . . .

Good Sam is a new series for CBS, about a young top surgeon who ends up as her dad's supervisor after he comes out of a coma. Jason Isaacs plays the arrogant dad and former top surgeon.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Hot Wheels

Re: SPOILER ALERT: Lost Girls disussions of episodes . . .

Post by Hot Wheels » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:51 pm

Helen8 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:32 pm
This episode moved the tug-of-war between father and daughter into second gear. I really don't care for the bickering and one-upmanship, but that's the story. Of course, I want Griff to get his position back, but the story is about her, so we'll just have to see how it plays out. Sam's got more backup now with the department head who has a bone to pick with Griff. It doesn't bode well for him. :roll:

Bottom line: Jason's on my TV every week . . . for a while. :wheee
Actually, in light of Griff’s prank, which cost the hospital 12M USD, someone may end up referring *him* to the Cleveland Clinic! (Not an ideal solution, of course, since Jason would be gone; however, an action like that needs to have consequences!)

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:06 pm

of course, since Jason would be gone; however, an action like that needs to have consequences!)

Killjoy! :cool:

Hot Wheels

Post by Hot Wheels » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:46 am

Helen8 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:06 pm
of course, since Jason would be gone; however, an action like that needs to have consequences!)

Killjoy! :cool:

As Bugs Bunny used to say, ”Ain’t I a stinker?” 😈

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:59 pm

This series is not my thing, and it's not growing on me either. I'll watch it because Jason is in it, but that's the only reason.

Well, I don't want to be rude in case some of you really like it, so probably shouldn't go into details...

:roll:

Hot Wheels

Post by Hot Wheels » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:30 pm

thunder wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:59 pm
…Well, I don't want to be rude in case some of you really like it, so probably shouldn't go into details...

:roll:
Maybe it would help if at least one of them started acting age-appropriately…?? 🙃

thunder

Post by thunder » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:22 pm

Hot Wheels wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:30 pm
Maybe it would help if at least one of them started acting age-appropriately…?? 🙃
That would be a start. ;-)

Hot Wheels

Post by Hot Wheels » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:29 pm

thunder wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:22 pm
Hot Wheels wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:30 pm
That would be a start. ;-)
Agreed! 🙌🏼

Hot Wheels

Post by Hot Wheels » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:45 pm

Here’s a short (and somewhat confusing) teaser for Ep 4:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m6jhWpR8_GU

Hot Wheels

Post by Hot Wheels » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:33 am

Paramount+ doesn’t have the full version of “Attachments” (Ep. 4) yet, but there are some snippets in the “Extras” feature.

As for the ep itself, Sam—with help from Rhonda—finds Griff’s “black book” (donor list), and learns he kept several names off a report in return for substantial donations…this after Sam alters information that would allow urgent treatment for a patient with no insurance (which Griff confronts her about, with Sam confronting her father about the *reasons* for their respective actions).

Sam confronts the primary donor, who offers a $14,000,000 donation to the hospital…if Sam will step aside, and let Griff have his old position back. (Sam does more digging, with Malcom’s help, and finds a way to “flip” the donor’s attempted blackmail.)

~~~~~

Lex is tasked with assisting in (BIG SPOILER: successfully!) re-attaching an accident victim’s severed arm. The woman lost her best friend in the crash, and stated she would rather have her friend back, than the arm.

The hospital’s internal investigation into the death of the appendectomy victim (Ep. 3) finds no wrongdoing.

~~~~~

Caleb convinces Sam to re-live their past—with a twist—during which Sam finds the key to helping her uninsured patient.

~~~~~

Vivian, meanwhile, has taken Sam’s side (in the aftermath of Griff’s $12M prank, from Ep. 3), and refuses to see her ex. However, at the end of the ep, they seem to have called a truce, with Griff confessing that Sam had found his black book, then making the somewhat cryptic statement, “At least she didn’t find this….”

~~~~~

The previews for Ep. 5 point to at least a partial flashback to the day Griff was shot. It looks like there will be some good—or, at least, emotional—post-shooting/pre-surgery interaction between the Griffiths…and at least a little bit of “eye candy”. :woot https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IlQwX4oVciA

~~~~~

There’s no info about anything past Ep. 5 yet, so it looks like the Winter Olympics —not to mention the February return of Big Brother (US) and Survivor (US), in March— will have fans hanging….

thunder

Post by thunder » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:44 am

The promo is here, if anyone wants to see. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlQwX4oVciA

I found a way to watch the new episode without having to wait for almost a week. :bag: :wheee

RANT WARNING!!!

All the lead characters in this are not very sympathetic, I think. Should they be working with people in vulnerable situations? It was a different tone playing in this, where Sam and Griff sort of swapped places. He was worried about what she was up to, and she was setting him up... So now she's as bad as him. If you find evidence of wrong doing, you don't sneak around, you tell someone (board, police, press?), burn the brindge and leave the hospital. She should have done that when she heard the board told Griff they would give him his job back. Of course on another hospital, she wouldn't benifit from the nepotism. And what's with the running to Mommy for help to do everything.... This person is going to lead the department? Running in to tell Mommy everytime there is a conflict?

"Mommy, Daddy is mean again, make him stop!"

Sorry, had to let it off my chest. :mrgreen:

END OF RANT

I start to like some of the residents, though. Looks like they are nice people.
Still not my type of show, but I'm getting used to it.

Hot Wheels

Post by Hot Wheels » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:29 am

Good points, Thunder. BTW:

1. I see we found the same link for Ep 5. 😉

2. The “blue on blue” (your rant) was a little hard to read. Just sayin’…. 😇😇

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:09 pm

There are just so many things wrong with this I wonder who was the medical consultant.
First, CardioThoracic Surgery residents MUST finish 4 or 5 years of general surgery training so they wouldn’t be fighting for or even taking care of routine cases like appendicitis or hernia.
Or if they are on the direct CT Tract (6yrs) of ALL CT, they would not touch any general surgery cases!
Attaching limbs??? Only plastic residents/vascular fellows are allowed.

And if they are NOT CT residents, they wouldn’t be under direct supervision of Sam who is chief of CT.
I get a headache watching it. In real life surgical residents are SO busy you will never see 3 or 4 of them seeing ONE patient together. My daughter went through 3 years of general surgical residency and in the morning rounds sometimes she saw more than 30 patients! Forget wearing a ‘perfect make up or perfect hair, just surviving the day was so hard.

thunder

Post by thunder » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:32 am

Thanks for your medical expertise, Char. I thought the hospital stuff on this show didn't make a lot of sense, but I don't really have any insight into it. So I didn't get into it in my rant, but you confirmed my suspicions. Also, is it normal for a person who just woke up from a 6 months long coma to just be "a little groggy" 5 minutes later?
Hot Wheels wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:29 am

:scratch Sorry! :oops:
Hot Wheels wrote:
Sorry, I didn't want to upset people who may like ut, but it looks like I'm not the only one who doesn't make any sense of this show, so I made it a bit easier to read. :mrgreen:

Hot Wheels

Post by Hot Wheels » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:23 pm

thunder wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:32 am
Hot Wheels wrote:

:scratch Sorry! :oops:

No problem; we both know I’ve done the same thing! 😁

Hot Wheels wrote:
Sorry, I didn't want to upset people who may like ut, but it looks like I'm not the only one who doesn't make any sense of this show, so I made it a bit easier to read. :mrgreen:
Again, no problem (but I’m still keeping my fingers crossed)!

Hot Wheels

Post by Hot Wheels » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:19 am

Episode 5, Wake Up is already available on Paramount+; I keep forgetting to try for a live streaming. ☺️

Jason had some yummy flashback scenes (as a patient, during his coma…including opening the ep with a close-up of his baby blues!). Sam, Lex and Caleb all flashed back to their reactions after Griff’s shooting. Caleb finally confessed to Sam he’d hit rock bottom, but hadn’t had a drink since the shooting.

All of this was caused by a shooting victim being brought to the hospital in bad shape. (He didn’t make it, although we hear him say “Don’t let me die”, leading immediately to when Griff said the same thing to Sam.) We learned that Griff had filled out a DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) document, which meant that he didn’t want to be saved if he couldn’t live a productive life, although Griff’s flashback indicated he’d changed his mind. Sam had “lost” the document “back then”, but “in the present” confessed to her parents she’d withheld it.

Apparently, Sam’s staff had developed a custom—whenever they’d lost a patient (although it wasn’t done for the appendectomy victim)—of going to a bridge to honor the fallen patient…then having a round of drinks. After Caleb’s confession, though, Sam passed out what seemed to be candy bars, with some made-up excuse…which earned her a ”Thank you” from Caleb.

At the end of the ep, Griff—who was granted some easing of his restrictions by his Proctorship (which he treated as “sour grapes”, IMO), and was aiding in the final procedure on the gunshot victim (who left a wife and son)—seemed to want to “start over” (over breakfast!) with Sam; however, he ended up back with Lex—this time, in a passionate kiss—after Lex & Sam seemingly had mended their friendship.

What else? Oh, Rhonda tried to have Sam corner Vivian on some financial matters, but that backfired. Also, there was a wedding proposal. Asher Pyne appears in a couple of scenes, but not Malcolm.

~~~~~

Next week, February 9th, there will be a repeat of Ep. 2, Natural Order, opposite the Olympics. I suspect the same thing on February 16th. I hope to be able to let you know by Sunday.

UPDATE: The ep on February 23rd will, in fact, be Ep. 6, Truce (although if Sam finds about Lex and Griff’s kiss, I suspect something’s going to hit the fan and/or Sam will go through the roof!).
Last edited by Hot Wheels on Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:05 am, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “Good Sam”