SPOILER ALERT: Lost Girls disussions of episodes . . .

Good Sam is a new series for CBS, about a young top surgeon who ends up as her dad's supervisor after he comes out of a coma. Jason Isaacs plays the arrogant dad and former top surgeon.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

SPOILER ALERT: Lost Girls disussions of episodes . . .

Post by Helen8 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:09 pm

So. Those of us who have seen the epidodes can discuss. Those of us without access to the show (yet) should steer clear if they don't want to have it spoiled for them.

Episode 1

Not a bad start. I don't know why some reviews were negative. I guess it could be burnout from so many medical dramas.

I like the "competition" between father and daughter. You can see his ego and his fatherly pride are at odds with each other. I also enjoyed his lurking about in the halls listening in on her dealings with her crew. It added humor to the story. The supporing cast are enthusiastic. So. Daddy was having an affair with one of the young doctors. :finger: The one-up-manship between dad and daughter could get boring after a while, but for now it's okay.

Though Sophia Bush's scratchy voice wore on me after a while.

Side note: As I have streamed commercial free for the last 2 years, boy were the commercial breaks long and annoying!! :bang I ended up turning off the sound after the first commercial. :gah:

Hot Wheels

Re: SPOILER ALERT: Lost Girls disussions of episodes . . .

Post by Hot Wheels » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:51 pm

I enjoyed the way Dr. Rob coached Dr. Sam through the surgery, then, at the end, humbled himself enough to say “Yes, please,” then not arguing when he was dismissed. (OK, after a brief hesitation…!)

Thanks for providing a place for spoilers; I tried so hard to avoid them in the other folder(s)!

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:10 pm

That's the fairest thing to do, HW. I know I wouldn't be happy to find discussions about stuff I hadn't seen yet. :rave

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:18 am

I didn't like it. It's not bad, I guess, but I would never have watched this if it wasn't for Jason being in it.

I normally have no patience with TV shows like this.

Was it supposed to be funny? Who talks like that? Have people like these characters ever excisted? :cafe

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:04 am

Yow! I didn't think it was the best thing I ever saw of his, but I thought it was okay. :scratch I hope you stick with it.

thunder

Post by thunder » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:58 am

It reminded me of the shows I had to compromise to watch when I lived in a shared appartement during my years at university. It isn't horrible, but I wouldn't have watched it if JI wasn't in it.

...I have more patience when Jason is involved. :mrgreen:

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:12 pm

Oh, good! :cool:

Hot Wheels

Post by Hot Wheels » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:51 am

The second ep dropped on P+ overnight. Several scenes—-especially in the Teaser and the first couple of acts—left me in stitches! Lots of snarkiness from Jason’s character (no surprise there!), as well as a few scenes that make me think Jason’s finding his second childhood!

Hot Wheels

Post by Hot Wheels » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:53 am

Helen8 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:04 am

Yow! I didn't think it was the best thing I ever saw of his, but I thought it was okay. :scratch I hope you stick with it.
I hope CBS sticks with it!!!

thunder

Post by thunder » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:04 am

The episodes are available to watch in Norway on Tuesdays, which means I have to wait almost a week before looking into the topics here.

...so... I watched the second episode. Maybe a bit better than the first one, but still not my kid of TV show... but I wasn't as annoyed with this as the first one. I like to watch Jason in a different role than what I've seen him in before, though. So thats one positive thing. And I thought this episode was flowing a bit better than he first episode.

Hot Wheels

Post by Hot Wheels » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:37 pm

IMDb has titles for five (5) episodes, and 13 were supposedly ordered. I just hope CBS lets them all air, because early numbers are not encouraging :heart :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Sam_(TV_series) (Scroll down to Reception.)

(BTW, titles for Episodes 3-5 are Butt of the Joke, Attachments and Wake Up.)

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:43 pm

Oh, man. A drop of 300,000 viewers between eps. 1 and 2. aaa.gif Well. That doesn't bode well.

Hot Wheels

Post by Hot Wheels » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:46 pm

Helen8 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:43 pm
Oh, man. A drop of 300,000 viewers between eps. 1 and 2. aaa.gif Well. That doesn't bode well.

Here’s hoping numbers pick back up…tonight!

In some ways, I liked the second ep better. There have been (rare) moments when Griff has shown humility; I hope that continues.

(In the Pilot, Griff was told he had a physical “in two weeks”. You don’t suppose…?? :adore)

Hot Wheels

Post by Hot Wheels » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:16 pm

In the early part of Ep. 3, Griff is showing a weird sense of humor.

UPDATE: Where to start? Griff’s early prank—undoubtedly the inspiration for the title of the ep—turns out to be a cruel, expensive (2,000,000 USD…for starters!) “lesson” for Sam, as he tries to make her look bad in the eyes of Byron Kingsley (Malcom’s father). BTW, Sam & Malcolm both seem intent on developing their friendship, regardless of Byron Kingsley’s admonitions to Malcolm.

We also get to meet Vivian’s new husband, and watch the interaction between him and Griff…with Vivian caught in the middle.

Sam and her staff have plenty to juggle: Caleb’s still trying to win her back; Sam and Lex have a couple of moments that make it seem their friendship could be revived; one patient must come to terms with her own medical history. Isan’s appendectomy patient dies on the table.

Finally, Sam receives an offer for help in dealing with her father, from an unexpected source…and—at the episode’s end—and after correcting Griff’s $2M prank…which costs the hospital a $12M donation—she seems open to suggestions….

In short, the claws seem to have come out…on both sides!

~~~~~

I REALLY want to see where this is going…and I can’t wait until P+ has the ep available, so I can “fill in some blanks”!!
Last edited by Hot Wheels on Mon May 02, 2022 6:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:32 pm

This episode moved the tug-of-war between father and daughter into second gear. I really don't care for the bickering and one-upmanship, but that's the story. Of course, I want Griff to get his position back, but the story is about her, so we'll just have to see how it plays out. Sam's got more backup now with the department head who has a bone to pick with Griff. It doesn't bode well for him. :roll:

Bottom line: Jason's on my TV every week . . . for a while. :wheee

Return to “Good Sam”