New Book a must read!

Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

malfoygrandma

New Book a must read!

Post by malfoygrandma » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:46 am

:cool: A new book out by a physics prof explaining the movement of Muslims to use science to reinforce religious belief. Explains why doctors and engineers are involved in violent Islamist movements. Book is Uthored by Taner Edis, "An Illusion of Harmony: Science and Religion in Islam."

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:24 pm

Given the number of physicians allegedly involved in the most recent Muslim extremist attacks in the UK, this is an especially relevant topic. . .
Thanks for the recommendation!

ScienceIsPhun

Post by ScienceIsPhun » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:13 am

I'm currently taking a political science course about the middle east.

I think one of the reason that there are physician terrorists is because of frustration.

Obviously they're well educated and they must have money so they don't fit in the stereotype of "people become terrorists because of abject poverty".

But for numerous complex reasons that I don't quite understand (but hopefully will in time for my midterm) these people are extremely frustrated and I think it's the frustration and perceived inequality that's making them fall into the trap of fundamentalism.

but I'm totally curious to see what the book's position is.

-Sip

Return to “Political Material”