Event Horrizon

The forum where we rewatch Jason's movies and dig deeper.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Anniemouse

Event Horrizon

Post by Anniemouse » Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:12 am

Everything has gone quiet again so thought I would start a chat topic again. Sorry if I am not meant to do this.

My question is why did Event Horrizon not find its audience?.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Re: Event Horrizon

Post by thunder » Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:45 pm

Why do you think it didn't find an audience at the time, Annie?

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:39 pm

It looks like the critical response did not help. I don't recall any TV advertising for it at the time. I do not think it was an easy production but considering the tight budget it looks amazing. Many movies eventually find their feet later on, Its a Wonderful Life, Shawshank Redemption, both Blade Runners and Fight Club. Hit movies are not necessarily good and vice versa.

I think studios are far less motivated to take chances now with projects. If you look at lists of movies that flopped there are an amazing amount of classics amongst them.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:07 am

I think the marketing budget probably wasn't the biggest. It was a tiny movie they made while they waited for Kurt Russel to build himself up to be in Soldier. (According to Jason) Also, the cast is very good, but it's not that many names there that will draw the big audiences. It has become a classic, though. Among my Jason fanvideos, the ones about Event Horizon are the ones with the biggest views.

Return to “The Lost Girls Film Club”