Article in L.A. Times about filming

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Article in L.A. Times about filming

Post by Hilary the Touched » Tue May 08, 2007 11:03 am

Leigh of the Jason Isaacs Fans mailing list posted this link: LA Times Article

..."And since the majority of Yates' work has revealed a deep political bent, Heyman felt he was ideal for this, the most overtly political book of the series. "He was perfect for this," says Emma Watson, who plays Harry's friend Hermione Granger, as she sits in her trailer eating chocolate. "I don't know if he could have directed any of the other ones. This was his story to tell."

Indeed. In addition to the usual adventure, magic and monsters, this film also deals with political repression, child abuse, fundamentalism, fascism, global terrorism and racism — not your typical summer blockbuster fare but themes that, plainly, appealed to Yates. Don't go thinking it's too, well, political, though. "There's no question there are political aspects to this story," says Heyman, who nevertheless is keen to stress that it's politics with a small "p." "I don't want to give the impression it's a political film. It's an entertainment."

Radcliffe is in no doubt as to the subtext. "We're the French Resistance," he explains of Dumbledore's Army, "and Voldemort and the Death Eaters are the Nazis. Obviously, in a magical context." Not that his analogies end there. "Harry's like a Vietnam veteran," he says. "He's seen awful things and come back into a society that's rejected him. That's the main parallel I've been drawing on." Fudge, meanwhile, he equates to Britain's prime minister, Tony Blair.

"Dan's absolutely right," says Yates several months later in his Soho office. "What Fudge does is he spins everything all the time. He's a great manipulator of information, and there is a bit of Blair about Fudge."

Return to “All Things Harry Potter”