Some People Really Should Mind Their Own Business...

Clamber on up and let fly!

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Tavington's ShadowMagnet

Some People Really Should Mind Their Own Business...

Post by Tavington's ShadowMagnet » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:04 am

:soap Yesterday, my fiancee and I went to lunch at one of our favourite resturants called, Nova. This isn't about the resturant, but more about the two people seated at the table next to ours. Namely, the woman. What's the old adage? "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?" Apparently, she's never heard this before.

Anywho...we're sat there enjoying lunch, minding our own business, discussing our upcoming wedding and whatnot. My fiancee, Liam, at one point leans over and plants a big kiss on my lips...at the moment he does this, the woman at the next table, says to her companion, "That's just utterly disgusting..." I let that go, thinking perhaps she was on about something entirely different. However, it became quite clear moments later, that she was talking about us. I next hear her comment on our ages(Liam is 53 and I'm 37...though, I don't look my age, and Liam has a bit of grey in his hair, but not much.), "She can't be more then 20 something! Truly disgusting, if you ask me!" Obviously, no one asked her, but she felt the need to voice her opinions regardless, and loud enough for not only us to hear, but everyone seated at nearby tables. Her companion kept telling her to shut up, but she either didn't hear him(he looked thoroughly embarassed by her comments)clearly, or she was flatout ignoring him.

Well, Liam began talking about his kids, and this really put the woman off! Funny thing is, Liam and I weren't talking loud enough for her to hear us..rather, we were talking loud enough, that we could hear each other, but anyone sitting round us, wouldn't be able to hear the conversation...not unless they were making an extreme effort to listen in. Which, obviously she was doing. She continued to comment on everything we said and everything we did. After awhile Liam started to get pretty angry about it, and had at one point, thought about just walking out. Finally, he thought better of it, and we went on with our lunch.

Eventually, the woman and her companion got up to leave, and she made a point of coming by our table to leave. As she gets close to the seat Liam was in, she says loudly for all to hear, "A man your age should be dating a woman your age." Liam looked up at her and goes, "Excuse me?" She said it again, and added "You're a disgusting pervert. Do her parents know you're dating their child?" I'm sat there with my jaw on the floor, I just couldn't believe this woman! After a moment Liam looks up at her again, and says "A man my age? Do you even know how old I am? Or how old she is, for that matter? And yes, her parents know we're engaged to be married! Or well, her father did. Both her parents have passed away, as have mine." She said something about him being her age, and me being 20 something(the exact age she said, was 19), and Liam goes "No, I think you've got that quite wrong. No, I am NOT your age, and she is 37." He actually asked her how old she was, and oddly enough, she actually answered it! "You ARE my age, I'm 61 and you can't be a day under 65. And, there's no way she's in her 30's!" She was quite angry about this! Liam leans over to me and tells me to get out my driver's license, which I did, and to prove to this fool how old I was. She snatches the licnese out of my hand, looks at it, and her jaw hit the floor! She flings my license back at me, and says to Liam in no uncertain terms, that he was still her age...so he got out his license, hands it to her. She looked at it, jaw hit the floor again. He took back his licnese, and goes "So, anything else you might wish to add to this conversation?" She's staring at him with this disgusted look on her face...when she didn't say anything, he went "Well then, I do believe this conversation is over." her mouth came open, and before she could even think to say anything, Liam said "Oh I'd say it was a pleasure to meet you, but then I'd be lying, since it really wasn't." She just glared at him, turned on her heel and stormed out.

All in all, I can't say this was one of our better lunches, but it definitely was the most bizaare! Despite the fact, that I came away feeling rather pissy over the whole situation, it was also a bit amusing. I mean seriously, this woman was ready to rake Liam over the coals for being a pervert! And, as he often does, he turned the whole thing on her...which is what really made her angry. She thought she could say what she wanted, and no one would disagree with her. Found out differently.

I felt bad for her companion. He actually came back in, came over to us and apologised for her rudeness, and her inability to keep her nose out of other people's business. He wasn't making any excuses for what she did, he just wanted us to know how sorry he was that it happened. She apparently does this sort of thing alot, and to just about anyone she comes into contact with. Wow, what a sad sort of person she must be, that she feels the need to stick her nose into someone else's business, regardless of whether she was invited in, or not. :-|

Sorry for such a long rant...it's been on my mind since yesterday...meh :shh

DhaniGrrrrl

Post by DhaniGrrrrl » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:00 am

ARRRRRRRRRRGH! People like that seriouly need to get a life...

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:02 am

Sorry for such a long rant...it's been on my mind since yesterday...meh
No need to be sorry, that's what the Bitch Box is here for! :D

~me

Funkay

Post by Funkay » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:54 am

That woman has some rudeness issues. I'm surprised how well you guys handled it. If it were me, she would have denture issues because I would knock the teeth out of her mouth...with my words, of course... :cherub

Tavington's ShadowMagnet

Post by Tavington's ShadowMagnet » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:44 am

I would've smacked her silly, but Liam said something to the effect, " I really don't want to visit you in prison, and it wouldn't solve anything, anyway." So, I just sat there, trying desperately to keep my cool. Quite proud of myself there, since it wasn't me who went off on her, it was Liam.

Normally, not many people say anything about how old we are. They call it, "May/December relationship," and think it's cute(Heh, yeah we're too cute...hehehehe). What we do get, are locals commenting(for lack of a better term at this moment)on the fact, that we're both from a different country(me-Britain, Liam-Ireland). I figured with the woman from the resturant, and what she started out saying, was headed into that territory, too. I was expecting, "Go back to England!"(use to get that on a daily basis, not so much anymore)...and "You people wonder why you lost the war?!" When I first came to the States, and would hear things such as that, I often would get so upset, I'd want to go back home. But, after awhile I decided to ignore them...and finally, they got tired of it, and left me alone. I've made many good friends here, and they're not concerned about what country I'm from. They like the person. I'm a citizen of the USA. So is Liam. And, we both retain our British citizenship. So when someone tells us to "go back to where we come from..." I just laugh now. Although, Liam has a comment back to that..."Go back to where I came from? Well, I would, but I don't think my mum would appreciate it much." :shock: Should see the gobsmacked looks he gets for that! :loco

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:16 pm

I hardly think 37 and 53 qualifies as a May/December relationship. You are both mature people and can certainly decide for yourselves what to look for in a relationship. Snooty Lady was probably the maddest about the fact that she looked much older than Liam. She deserves a bunch more wrinkles for being such a nasty person!!!

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:35 pm

That's something I've noticed in a lot of older folks. I don't know if it's because they think that they've earned the right, or because the filter that sits between their brains and their mouths has gone (much like their eyesight and hearing), but whatever the cause, seniors have a gift for expressing themselves poorly. Some of the most rude, inappropriate and tactless comments I've ever heard have not come from teens, but from people four, sometimes five times their age.

Without going into specifics -- I've have to endure this almost daily, and I got to tell ya, if it weren't for my situation, I would've laid into this person a long time ago.

Kudos to you and Liam. I think you handled yourselves very admirably.

Tavington's ShadowMagnet

Post by Tavington's ShadowMagnet » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:06 pm

Gillian wrote:That's something I've noticed in a lot of older folks. I don't know if it's because they think that they've earned the right, or because the filter that sits between their brains and their mouths has gone (much like their eyesight and hearing), but whatever the cause, seniors have a gift for expressing themselves poorly. Some of the most rude, inappropriate and tactless comments I've ever heard have not come from teens, but from people four, sometimes five times their age.

Without going into specifics -- I've have to endure this almost daily, and I got to tell ya, if it weren't for my situation, I would've laid into this person a long time ago.

Kudos to you and Liam. I think you handled yourselves very admirably.
Yes, I've noticed alot of the older generation(not all, but alot...know many who are really wonderful people)seems to take it upon themselves to be the "world and/or PC police." Other then that rude woman from lunch the other day, I've met only one other elder adult, who's been downright tactless and rude..."the age difference in the two of you, should be within 4 years, not 16 or 17." Oh? Let's see now...my grandparents(my mum's parent's)had 22 years between them. My grandparent's on my dad's side...19 years between them. The elderly couple down the street from me, he's 80 and she's 70(wouldn't know the way they get around! Like two teenagers!). Then there's my parent's...16 years age difference between them. And, not to mention my brother and his wife...he's 45 and she's 59. So, honestly, i don't see how it's a major problem! If I recall correctly, that type of age difference was normal at one time...wasn't it? My great-grandmother was 18 when she married my great-grandfather, and he was going on 30.

No, I wouldn't consider what Liam and I are, a "May/December" relationship, either. Not sure what it actually would be considered, other then a very loving, faithful, respectful, and committed relationship. I dated men my age(30's and slightly younger), and found them rather lacking in many things. Such as: faithfulness, respect, etc...not to mention dating the majority of them, was like dating a walking horomone! Not saying, Liam isn't, erm, well you know what I mean here, he is...he's just not driven by that need. It's an important part of the relationship, but it's not the be all end all of it. He's a wonderful man, incredible father(my 10 year thinks he's "coolness." hehehehe)and a hardworker.

Another thing that apparently doesn't sit well with some of the older folks, is the fact he's divorced. They've automatically assumed(and we know what assuming did...heh), that he cheated on his ex-wife. Actually, that would be the other way around. She cheated on him. They'd been married almost 26 years, and she'd been cheating on him for the last 8 of those years. With one of his so called "close" friends. When these people do find out the facts, they then assume that Liam was abusive-he's far from that, won't hit a woman no matter what-, neglectful-is there when I need him, and would do anything for me-, or obviously not interested in the woman he's married to-again, far from that...he's like his late father(I met him a couple years before he passed away, very lovely man)...when he's married to you, you come first. Yet, his ex-wife cheated on him? Her excuse? She was "bored." I don't get it.

As for the two of us handling ourselves the way we did...at one time, I would've probably smacked her silly...but, ever since I had my daughter, my entire attitude has changed. Confronting someone in such a manner, is not worth it in the long run. Liam, is the type who attacks with words...usually not hurtful words, but words that make the person think about what they've said/done. Again, he's like his father there. I asked him once, why he didn't like to fight, and he replied..."It's a useless endeavour. Honestly baby, it's damn hard being Irish, and not wanting to beat the snot out of someone!" I always laugh at that thought.

Oh dear, I'm rambling again... :lol

malfoygrandma

Rant and Rave on, girl! Good for our side.

Post by malfoygrandma » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:48 pm

:D I simply loved all this about that poor lost soul who just has to make those sore-headed comments aloud in a public place for which one is paying to sit. And being of reasonable nature and good manners one cannot be too vociferous in ones own defense! thank the goddess most of us old fools still know we have had many years to learn stupidity! Thanks for posting this!

Tavington's ShadowMagnet

Re: Rant and Rave on, girl! Good for our side.

Post by Tavington's ShadowMagnet » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:52 am

malfoygrandma wrote::D I simply loved all this about that poor lost soul who just has to make those sore-headed comments aloud in a public place for which one is paying to sit. And being of reasonable nature and good manners one cannot be too vociferous in ones own defense! thank the goddess most of us old fools still know we have had many years to learn stupidity! Thanks for posting this!
Funny you said that...the wonderful lady down the street from me(she's a young 70!)had this to say about the incident, after I told her about it.

"It's a real shame, that those of us beyond the age of 45 seem to forget, that at one time, we were in the same boat. It's sad, that some of us have to make up for that forgetfulness, by acting as if we'd never been in love with anyone before, and that we become narrowminded in our old age. Not to mention, blind as a bat! My God, that man of yours is a HOTTIE!"

She went on to say, that had she been at the table when this woman was acting "childish and moronic," she would've dumped her dessert on her well coiffed(spelling)hair. Then "ever so politely reminded her, that just because two young people happened to be sitting near her, did NOT mean she had the right to stick her nose into their business." Elaina(she's such a lovely lady!)after thinking about it some more, ended by saying this(what she would've said to the woman):

"If, for whatever reason, the next time you feel the urge move you, to make snide comments, stick your nose into someone else's business, or just act stupid, remember this...it wasn't so long ago, that you were complaining how the younger generation didn't respect us. The road goes both ways. In order to get respect, you have to earn it, and be able to give it."

I think I'm going to take dear Elaina out for lunch tomorrow! I just love her to pieces! :D

Return to “The Bitch Box”