The Caffee's are back for more (spoilers, ahoy!)

Showtime brought us three seasons of this strong television drama, featuring large weekly doses of Jason Isaacs! Find articles, reviews, and viewer comments about Brotherhood--and add your own!

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Gillian
Site Admin

The Caffee's are back for more (spoilers, ahoy!)

Post by Gillian » Wed May 16, 2007 8:42 am

From the Providence Journal...

PROVIDENCE — In the back kitchen of an Irish bar called Mulligan’s, complete with cases of Narragansett beer, brothers Tommy and Michael Caffee had an angry confrontation yesterday.

“Dumping a dead body?â€
Last edited by Gillian on Wed May 16, 2007 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Foodie

Post by Foodie » Wed May 16, 2007 9:11 am

That is so cool! I can't wait for the next season! And although I don't mind being spoiled about shows like this, others have already expressed an interest in not being spoiled about the major plots. I don't know if it's too late for you to go back and add a spoiler warning to the title of the thread so people can read with discretion?

I'm so curious to see what sort of cognitive issues Michael will have. I don't really know what that is, I'll have to google it, but I knew he couldn't come out of that beating to the head without some sort of issue. It wouldn't have been believable if he recovered just fine and went back to being the same evil bastard we know and love. Now we can get to know a slightly different Michael and get to love and hate him all over again!

-Foodie :D

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Wed May 16, 2007 10:43 am

I did the same thing Foodie, I googled the word cognitive...
He could have issues with thinking, reasoning and remembering...
It will be a much more interesting character to play this season.
We won't know if he's scheming or just being different from what happened to him...MC won't be as strong as he was, and yes, I'm looking forward to see how Mr Jason plays out his character..

lyra70

Post by lyra70 » Wed May 16, 2007 2:59 pm

I wonder if they were at all inspired by the Joseph Gordon-Levitt character in "The Lookout" who went from hotshot athlete to janitor because of permanent head trauma in a car accident. I've heard it's an excellent performance.

I'm sure Jason is rubbing his hands in glee since characters are always most interesting when going through internal conflict. This will give us all a chance to see more of those varied expressions we love. I'm sure he'll be doing a lot of thinking with his eyes. I can't wait! Unfortunately being in Canada I'll have to wait extra long!

I have to say it's a good way to go. You're right, Foodie, it would not have been believable if Michael was back to normal. What would have been the point? And we'll see an even more interesting shift in power between the two brothers now. We might see the other characters actually having to feel sorry for Michael at times, despite themselves, which will be interesting. We'll probably see Tommy continue ascending into power while Michael has been brought down and is helpless and raging from it. I know I'm getting ahead of myself here but it's fun to guess what will happen.

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Wed May 16, 2007 6:15 pm

I don't know if it's too late for you to go back and add a spoiler warning to the title of the thread so people can read with discretion?
Sorry about that. I had to post from work and didn't have much time.

malfoygrandma

mike caffee's brain!

Post by malfoygrandma » Thu May 17, 2007 8:06 am

:mrgreen: Very interesting stuff! These things never spoil it for me. I love watching Brotherhood as I watch everything of JI's and this was a nice column of info! I wish somebody would post a nice picture of JI's parents! I like to see who children look like in their family and all that useless crap. Thanks for posting this. It definitely does not act as a spoiler, but as an incentive to anticipate more interesting scripts and acting.

Foodie

Post by Foodie » Thu May 17, 2007 9:07 am

It definitely does not act as a spoiler, but as an incentive to anticipate more interesting scripts and acting.
I'm not looking to start a fight, but since there have been some upsets in just the last week about spoilers, I just think it's a good idea to really lay out parameters of what constitutes a spoiler. Spoilers aren't just for the big things like characters leaving a show or character deaths. Anything that reveals anything at all about a future plot of a tv show/movie/book that somebody has not had a chance to watch/read yet, is a spoiler. So even after the show/movie/book has been released, you can still spoil it for somebody who hasn't seen or read it yet.

I don't care about being spoiled over things like this, but I have a friend who would tear my head off if I spoiled something for her, so I'm super sensitive to it too. I think it's just better to err on the side of caution and post a spoiler warning when discussing future plots. That way it gives the reader the choice to read it or not.

On another note, I read up a little on cognitive disorders last night. Sure sounds interesting! Maybe Michael will have problems speaking now. It can manifest itself in so many different ways. He could still have his mind be as sharp as always, but not be able to communicate as easily. He'll be even angrier than we're used to most likely...

-Foodie :D

kjshd05

Post by kjshd05 » Thu May 17, 2007 12:37 pm

thanx foodie, that's an interesting thought about MC having trouble
speaking...by the by, Spoilers don't bother me, I'd rather know ahead of time what's going on...LOL :D

RaveGyrl

Post by RaveGyrl » Fri May 18, 2007 11:10 pm

I wonder if Michael will find out that Tommy knew about the hit on him and did nothing to stop it or warn him. That will be an explosive scene.

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Sat May 19, 2007 6:25 am

He probably even forgot it was Declan who beat him up. THat's the only way to keep Declan in the show and not killed off by MC.

kjshd05

Post by kjshd05 » Sat May 19, 2007 3:44 pm

I think you're right, Char...I hope MC isn't too far gone, unless he can use his problems to his advantage...I would miss him being scheming, manipulative, violent and unpredictable...I am anxious to see how his character is written for season 2.... :roll:

malfoygrandma

very nice discussion!

Post by malfoygrandma » Sun May 20, 2007 9:01 am

:roll: I really enjoy these conjectures and such about how the scripts will carry Mike and Tommy and the others this year. Interesting that no one bothered to find out who did it to Mike. And poor Dec! Is he still working as a state cop? I would think they'd fire his butt for drunkenness on duty! He's make a really nice gangster recruit!

lyra70

Post by lyra70 » Sun May 20, 2007 1:34 pm

He probably even forgot it was Declan who beat him up. THat's the only way to keep Declan in the show and not killed off by MC
That's true! I was wondering how else Declan would have gotten away with it!

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Mon May 21, 2007 11:14 am

A lot of people with head trauma suffer from short term memory loss so Char's theory is well within the realm of possibility. If that's the case then the only thing standing between Deco and a dirt nap is Moe, and that's great leverage when you want to put a cop in your pocket.

Expect Deco to be somebody's bitch this season.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon May 21, 2007 12:26 pm

Well the only reason that whole deal played out between Declan and Mike is that he and his putz of a partner ARE in Mike's pocket.
Man. Depending on what parts of his brain were affected, Mike could have issues with his speech, fine motor control, walking, emotional equilibrium/impulse control (what there ever was of it)...
Stories of people with head trauma can be soooo tragic--I heard a piece on NPR a while ago about some guy and the changes in his personality. He was being cared for by his wife--who had married essentially a whole different person... :-(

Return to “Brotherhood”