Expect shitty typage, Grils--I had a car accident

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Expect shitty typage, Grils--I had a car accident

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:46 am

There was two-hour delay in school openings here yesterday, so I was driving Sprog to school. Traffic sucks at that intersection, 'cause there's only 1, and like 1,000 kids or something; I was waiting at a green light for enough space to make the left turn, thought I got it, and was wrong.
I THINK what happened is that a driver in the opposite turn lane decided to come straight instead, and I had to brake, so didn't clear the intersection before another driver coming straight, but I must confess it's not altogether clear.
Anyhow, this other car struck the right front wheel-well, and Sprog was slung sideways in the passenger seat; I had my arms braced against the steering wheel, and the impact of her hitting my right arm dislocated and fractured it.
Otherwise, aside from vehicles, everyone's fine except for bruises. Arm put back without openin' the sucker up, Sprog in class, other driver picked up by dad. I went to the hospital in an ambulance, mostly because I was so freaked out, but also because my arm really fucking hurt and it was very distracting.
The absolute worst part physically was that I left for school without coffee, and peeps at the hospital absolutely refused me any caffeine, so I got a coffee migraine that left me puking, especially nice on an empty stomach. Sorry.

So I'm in a very awkward casst with my hand turned sideways (but have had two cups of coffee and feel GREAT) for a week or so and then get a 'Robo-cop' brace for a while; in the meantime I am reduced to typing like my husband, not a thing of beauty. (DAMN YOU SHIFT KEY)

*phew*

Good to be here though.

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:07 am

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!

I'm SO sorry to hear that, Hils, but am gratified beyond words that it was nothing more serious. Do you have pain meds? Is Sprog okay? How's the car? Is it a write-off?

What a way to end the week!!

Try not to push yourself too much with the typing. It may feel fine now but I'd hate for this to aggravate your injury and have it end up aching like a son of a bitch.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:15 pm

Oh Hilary!!! I'm sorry to hear about that. And like Gillian said, thank God it was nothing more serious!

*hugs*

Please take care and get well soon.

~Me

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:47 pm

Thanks guys :D

Hey, today I had two cups of coffee, and all's right with the world.

The car (a Subaru Forester) will need some work--Sprog reported that while she could exit okay, the door on her side didn't close properly. Also the windows were left open ( I put them down to talk to the police and medics, because I couldn't use my arm to undo my seatbelt) and it was raining hard, so . . . we may end up with mold issues.
Today I'm just squinching my eyes shut and not thinking about it.

As for pain, minimal. Took half a Percocet for the melon-farming caffeine headache last night, but as long as I keep my arm stable, it really only aches a bit today.

(Dr. Klein of Commonwealth Orthopedic. The man is a GOD among surgeons--tho' that's a bit of a redundancy--)

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:29 pm

Wow. That's a serious caffeine addiction you got there. I know people get cranky from missing it, but you're the first person I know who's gotten physically sick because of it. (Does that make me naive? I hope not. Personally I don't drink coffee. I'm a tea gal myself.)

By the way, you might want to keep an eye on Sprog. You said she was fine, but it's not uncommon for people to experience neck and shoulder pain a couple days after an accident. When my sister was t-boned a few years ago, the cop warned her there might be a delayed reaction, despite my sister's assurance she felt fine. A week later she was in emergency.

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:00 pm

Holy Crap Hils....I am soo glad that you and Sprog are OK...

I know how scary that can be...I was T Boned 3 years ago, and as Gils
said, I was fine, then a few days later I got really bad pain and had to go to the hospital...

Remember, we have a trip to Providence, you can't miss that!! LOL

I am truely happy 2 hear that you and yours are OK...
Cars can be repaired, friends cannot be replaced...
Rest, keep that arm stable, take MEDS, and no worries about
typing...you could always use the "Speak and Spell" software...
Although, it never worked for me...LOL

Glad U R still around

catloveyes

Post by catloveyes » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:12 pm

Oh my dear Hilary....you have had a terrible time and all without "COFFEE!!!"
Yikes!!

I am just glad that you and Sprog will be alright...that is all that matters as Kj has said cars can be replaced but friends cannot!! :hug :hug

Hugs,
Kate

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:13 pm

Wow - that bites!! I'm sorry to hear about your arm and car Hilary. Crap - I don't check the boards for two stupid days and geez. It sounds painful - but I do understand your need for caffine. I get migrane headaches when I don't get my caffene too - but fortunately I don't get the severe nausea.

I agree with Gillian - keep your eye on Margaret. I had 2 accidents as a passenger and it can really make you sore days (and unfortunately years) latter. But I do hope she is all right and you heal fast.

Hugs (gentle hugs so not as to hurt that arm!)
Marie

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:04 pm

Oh, my God! Hilary! I'm so sorry to hear about the accident. Sending good caffeine thoughts your way. Please take it easy. And as everyone else says, keep an eye on your daughter. Brave is one thing, but chronic pain because of not speaking up is not good.

Also not a good 4 months for Foresters. Rob was driving ours last September when he skidded on a rain-soaked curve into a guard rail in front and spun around and hit the opposite side guard rail with the rear. Headlights, grill, and tail lights all smashed.

RaveGyrl

Post by RaveGyrl » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:30 pm

Aww, Hilary sorry to hear that. Feel better.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:02 pm

*sniff*
Thanks guys

Sorry to hear about Rob and your car, Helen--fortunately they're pretty robust vehicles. The one that struck us, DH tells me, is a Nissan Ultima (Altima?); it didn't fare well. Don't know how much of that was due to the angle or the fact that we were essentially stopped, while he was probably doing 30 mph.

And thanks for the commiseration, Marie--as you know, I don't actually drink much coffee, one or two cups a day, and I do actually prefer tea when I have a cold or something; but I gotta have some form of caffeine before about 1 p.m. or I'm hosed for the day. Nothing for it but sleep--even the Percocet didn't do much.
Heck, I haven't even had a Tylenol since. I think because I'd just braked, we were already pressed against the headrests, and our movement was mostly lateral, not back-and-forth. But thanks for the loving admonitions!

kontara

Post by kontara » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:09 am

YIPES!!! Hil, I'm glad you and your daughter were not more seriously hurt... you are in my thoughts...

Stay caffinated and comfy as you can...

hugs

Penny

ibelong2me

Post by ibelong2me » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:08 pm

am back! *computer issues*

sorry to hear about your accident, am glad you are in one piece and hope you are doing ok.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:11 pm

Thanks! All things considered, I can't complain!
(Rose, I assumed it was the melon-farming board keeping you away--glad to hear you got your computer sorted!)

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:10 pm

See, coulda been one of these jobs: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story ... e-car.html

Return to “General Forum”