George Carlin has died

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Moira

George Carlin has died

Post by Moira » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:23 am

My hero, dammit. In the 60s and 70s he challenged the status quo, and had routines that made people think. God I'm going to miss him.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... refer=muse

Moira :-(

Funkay

Post by Funkay » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:38 am

Yeah, I woke up to this news today. I have to second the hero status. I credit this man with influencing every witty statement I've ever made. This monkey butt's for you, George! :monkeybutt

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:33 pm

I saw him live every chance I got (which unfortunately was only three times) very funny guy! I always laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes. He took chances - got to respect the man for that!

whisperwood

Post by whisperwood » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:09 pm

Dampens my day. :-(

I always thought it was funny he was on that one children's program Shining Time Station. I used to watch that and when I was older and learned more about him I thought how crazy it seemed because of how dirty some of his humor was. Lol. Rest in peace, George.

DhaniGrrrrl

Post by DhaniGrrrrl » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:54 pm

Yeah, this sad news kinda dampens my day too...

George was great at telling it like it is and making us all laugh in the process...I only wish I could've seen him live, but instead, I settled for the HBO specials, some of which I taped (Carlin on Campus being my fave)...

Rest in Peace George, you will be missed!

:-(

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:59 pm

:-( (Tears)
Damn! (excuse me)
I just a rerun of his standup act from, like, 1976? the other day.....

My favorite sketch is him making fun of "idiots and maniacs". Must've been driving through Corpus Christi at the time. :shock: :lol
Had this newsbrief in my head on the way here.
"A blind man wakes up in his hotel room to the sound of a dog barking.
He finds his way to the dog, who leads him down the hall, to an empty elevator shaft, where he falls 10 stories to his death.
Seems it wasn't his dog."
R.I.P., George. You rocked! ~marilaine :-( :eek:

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:20 pm

. . . and he was inspired in Dogma.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:04 pm

Hard to believe that such a laid-back guy would die of a heart attack. Just goes to show . . .

He is truly missed.

Moira

Post by Moira » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:30 pm

Helen8 wrote:Hard to believe that such a laid-back guy would die of a heart attack. Just goes to show . . .
Well, he did a lot of drugs in the past, and had been alcoholic, and, he himself said, he'd treated his body pretty bad. So he wasn't surprised by the first heart attack. He wasn't laid back, which was one of the reasons he did drugs and drank. He was an angry SOB, which is why I loved him. He didn't hold back; he'd go to extremes to make a point.

I remember his TV series, which started out interesting, but, like The John Laroquette Show of the same period, was castrated in the second season. He went from curmedgeon to adopting a stray toy dog. George Carlin with a toy dog! It was sad, sad, brothers and sisters.

I'm also sad that, the last time I got to see him perform, not long ago, his act was mostly poop and body function jokes. This from the man who created the brilliant comparison of baseball and football as metaphors for American foreign policy. I don't know if he saw that sharp, sophisticated word humor didn't go over anymore, because of America's dumbing down, or if he was tired and coasting. Even still, he was amazing.

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:46 pm

Bummer.
I always admired his unique brand of humor and social commentary.
He'll be sorely missed.

malfoygrandma

My favorite presidential candidate!

Post by malfoygrandma » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:17 am

:-( I deeply regret the passing of the brave man who used to be my favorite write-in candidate for various national offices, especially president of our country! He, along with Pat Paulsen, PogoPossum, and Tommy Smothers, filled spaces on my ballots over many years when the choices offered for important offices were so morally bankrupt, I simply could not mark for one or even just leave a blank. And now George is gone, so this year, I will probably put down Doonesbury! Must look up the boy's first name. Hope I made you laugh, George!

Funkay

Post by Funkay » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:57 am

Michael Doonesbury will make a fine candidate for POTUS.

(Love me some, Doonesbury! I might have to steal the idea this election year!)

malfoygrandma

a vote for anybody!

Post by malfoygrandma » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:15 am

:-( Dear Funkay, that great way of voting is not my original idea! Everybody did it in the sixties, seventies, and my husband and I do it all the time, I can't recall who originated it, but .... somebody cool, like George, probably! Do it! Though now they sort of make you have to go to some trouble on the new electronic balloting! Donald Duck and Minnie Mouse have graced my ballots too, and one Snuffy Smif, drunk and wallowing, like the major candidate for a local office, and thanks for giving me Michael Doonesbury's whole name!

Funkay

Post by Funkay » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:50 pm

I know people who have done it before but they were doing less in protest and more in jackassery. I know the last presidential election found my ballot without a write-in option. I was kind-of taken aback by it. No one could tell me why. I guess if you wanted to dissent, you could have voted for Dennis Kucinich. He was on the ballot for some reason.

No prob on the Doonesbury name. I don't know how I came up with that random knowledge in my head. I had to double-check on the interweb to make sure my brain wasn't just making it up!

Back on topic...
My sister caught Carlin's act in Vegas last year when she went with her husband for their first anniversary. I remember when she bought tickets for it. It was 10:45pm and she was calling everyone in tears because she was so excited. Lucky bitch! She said it was the greatest thing she'd ever witnessed and told me that she really wished that I could have gone because she knew how much I loved the guy. C'est la vie.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:52 pm

He was on the ballot for some reason.
Because he was RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT!!!
Hey, he was my candidate. Only one up there calling for impeachment. You go, Dennis!!

Return to “General Forum”