Screencaps

A BBC4 biodrama about the lives of the actors portraying beloved stars of seminal sitcom "Steptoe and Son". Jason Isaacs earned a BAFTA nomination for his portrayal of Harry H. Corbett! First aired 19 March, 2008.

Moderators: thunder, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

DhaniGrrrrl

Post by DhaniGrrrrl » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:25 pm

Oh Char!! Thanx so much for re-posting that!! :hug

OMG, I loved it, the way he lit that cig, and the close up on his hands....Yum... :adore

One day, I WILL purchase a new puter, but with funds being VERY tight, I'll have to endure this dinosaur for a little longer... :pc

OTink

Well, what's up?

Post by OTink » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:10 pm

Why is Jason dressed like a woman and wearing stockings? This is very silly. Someone please explain.

malfoygrandma

cigarettes!

Post by malfoygrandma » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:39 pm

:bat We hope the Handsome One will not fall back into that deadly habit. My husband, now 78 years old, was very lucky. He started smoking at about age 12 or so, and had his very last cigarette a little before 7 a.m. on the morning of his lung surgery to remove half of his left lung which was cancerous. He has survived almost ten years now, no more cancer, and no more cigarettes, and he still misses them!

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:29 pm

We hope the Handsome One will not fall back into that deadly habit.
It's nice to know that Jason quit the habit of smoking.

There's no smoker in my family, I'm lucky.

~me

Heather

Re: Well, what's up?

Post by Heather » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:27 pm

OTink wrote:Why is Jason dressed like a woman and wearing stockings? This is very silly. Someone please explain.
Hmm. If I remember rightly there was an episode of Steptoe where Albert was claiming state benefits for his wife who had been dead for years and as someone from the pensions department was coming round to see them Albert has to disguise himself as her and he forgot to mention to Harold that he was also claiming benefits for his sister that he didn't have hence the dressing up. That one was almost as funny as The Waterbed one. :D

OTink

Hi Heather -

Post by OTink » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:58 pm

It sounds funny. Too bad the show is only in the UK.

malfoygrandma

Jason in that dress!

Post by malfoygrandma » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:13 am

:shock: If you look at Char's beautiful screen caps, you will note the expression of his eyes and in fact his whole face, one of deep sadness, of loss, of thinking about what might have been in his career, for surely this was another bottom rung for his own self esteem. Follows the story of his feelings at thinking of himself as forced into these so-called comedic scenes when he thinks of himself doing Shakespeare. Very degrading for him, though it provides yucks for the audiences. It is rather like Jason not being mentioned in the winning votes for "The Dumb Waiter" while his comedic costar who provided the yucks and comic relief is cited for his great acting!

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:31 am

Mr Jason has always been affluent with showing his emotions,
without saying a word...I can't name another actor who does that
as well as he does...

an actor from Brotherhood, who worked with Jason, said that as Michael Caffee, he aimed his gun at the actor, and he was really scared, just by the way Jason looked at him... :shock:

the same can be said for folks who spend alot of time and effort,
making fabulous screen caps for the rest of us to enjoy...

their hard work is used without their permission, and they are never
given the credit they deserve...

how many times have we seen screen caps end up on Ebay,
and Youtube???

Tavington's ShadowMagnet

Re: Hi Heather -

Post by Tavington's ShadowMagnet » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:33 pm

OTink wrote:It sounds funny. Too bad the show is only in the UK.
Yes, I agree...too bad it's only on in the UK, though my cousin who lives in London, offered to record it for me...but then said I needed to convert it so as to be able to see it on my TV! Sometimes I really want to smack my dear relative...he seems to forget that I'm a native Brit. Dur. :bat

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:44 pm

Susanne, I think your relative is alluding to the fact that recorders in the UK are region 2, and here in the US they are Region 1...

Now, if you brought a DVD recorder (Or VHS Tape) from the UK,
it would be a Region 2...

it all gets a bit confusing...that's why I purchased a Region Free DVD
Player (my DVR is still a Region 1)...meaning I record only in Region 1...

if you have the opportunity, watch this program, Mr Jason
is marvelous...

You can convert Region 2 to Region 1 (and assuming vice versa)...
but that goes a bit beyond me, how it is done (either that or I just dont have the equipment to do it)...LOL

Tavington's ShadowMagnet

Post by Tavington's ShadowMagnet » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:24 pm

kjshd05 wrote:Susanne, I think your relative is alluding to the fact that recorders in the UK are region 2, and here in the US they are Region 1...

Now, if you brought a DVD recorder (Or VHS Tape) from the UK,
it would be a Region 2...

it all gets a bit confusing...that's why I purchased a Region Free DVD
Player (my DVR is still a Region 1)...meaning I record only in Region 1...

if you have the opportunity, watch this program, Mr Jason
is marvelous...

You can convert Region 2 to Region 1 (and assuming vice versa)...
but that goes a bit beyond me, how it is done (either that or I just dont have the equipment to do it)...LOL
I've converted a few things he's sent me in the past, but it's a pain in the butt! Like you, I purchased a Region Free DVD player, just so I needn't go thru the hassle of converting things he sends me! Which, I had to inform him of. He does this quite frequently, since I'm rather "homesick" for programs back home.

My cousin said Jason is wonderful in the program, and said I'm missing out on a brilliant performance. Now, if they should ever decide to air it on BBC America...I'd be one happy lady! Come to think of it, when BBC America was running the "A Little Brit Different" adverts, I was so happy to see the one with Jason in it, I hugged the telly! much to my daughter's amusement. :wheee

Vig

Post by Vig » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:53 am

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:35 pm

Ooooooh! Nice pictures, Vig. Thanks!

SaraR

Re: Screencaps

Post by SaraR » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:08 pm

I was looking through this thread, catching up on everything since I haven't had a chance to watch this yet...
My mom calls, and while she's telling me about going through physical therapy stuff, I get to the photos of Jason in his drag outfit...

:dunce

I'm really glad I didn't start guffawing, because I was really really close, haha.

Oh well, I would love to see this, if it ever DOES actually make it out in an agreeable format... :???:

Angel Tavington

Re: Screencaps

Post by Angel Tavington » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:57 am

My mom calls, and while she's telling me about going through physical therapy stuff, I get to the photos of Jason in his drag outfit...
You really should see him in "sweet november" if you haven't already... :))

~me

Return to “The Curse of Steptoe”