Peter Pan...AAIIEE!

The projects that don't have their own subforums, because they are older than The Lost Girls, but still deserve a special place on the board..

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

a.p.k.

Re: Peter Pan...AAIIEE!

Post by a.p.k. » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:30 am

Angel Tavington wrote:Good to see it among the top ten fantasy movies. I wonder why Harry Potter isn't on the list??

~me
???

Because Harry Potter isn't fantasy.

Harry Potter is REAL.

:D

::rofl

belladisordine

Post by belladisordine » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:28 pm

a.p.k. wrote:
Because Harry Potter isn't fantasy.

Harry Potter is REAL.

:D

::rofl

I'm still waiting on my acceptance letter to Hogwarts *sighs dramatically*

horse_lover4495

Post by horse_lover4495 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:41 pm

sooo I watched this movie a couple days ago and let me just be blunt and say it sucked. The funny thing is though, I thought this was the most amazing movie ever when I was a kid. Like I was completely obsessed with it, because the Disney version of Peter Pan was one of my all time favorite movies, so when this "Peter Pan with real people"--as I called it--when I was in 3rd grade, I was hooked (no pun intended). Either way, I thought it was amazing and I loved it. But now, going back and watching it, I had to force myself to watch the whole thing, and quite frankly the only reason I did was because of Jason Isaacs. All of his scenes were amazing, he made the movie. A lot of people would say I'm only saying that because I'm a huge fan of his, but that's not the case. The movie instantaniously got better whenever any adult entered the scene (not just JI). The children were the horrible ones, and I can't believe it was a love story between 12 yr olds with no acting ability. And Tiger Lily wasn't even played by a Native American girl, or at least that's what it looked like. The plot was also on the choppy side. There was really no logical sequence to events, it just jumped from one scene to another and seemed like there was no development.
Anyway, the only reason I may watch this movie again is because Jason Isaacs is actually shirtless in one scene :) lol

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:11 am

I feel like we must have watched two different movies. I loved Peter Pan. Yes as in most movies some improvements could be made. But the photography was wonderful and really beautiful, the music was great (for the most part) and most of the acting was terrific.

inamac

Post by inamac » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:45 pm

In general the film was very badly received by the American audiences because of the Disney 'contamination; of the original play. In England (and generally Europe) it was much loved as reclaiming a lot of the magic (and horror elements that are part of the European fairytale tradition) that previous film versions had missed.

And after the travesty that was Hook the 2003 version was a welcome relief!

The main problem for the critics was that Sumpter (Pan)'s accent was too American - though there is no reason to suppose that Pan is English - and Neverland, with its Indians and pirates is clearly an American/Carribean setting.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:59 pm

If I recall correctly the critics here in the States praised it but movie goers ignored it for the same Disney reasons.
This stayed in my mind because it made me want to see the movie but because of working hours I could not go.
Had never heard of Jason at the time or I would had found some way.

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:29 pm

I know someone (no not me) who personally went and saw this movie 35 times....

Yes, was not well recd here in the states, because of Disney pulling out their support...

I like the movie...just because of Jason...I've seen Hook with Robin Williams, and hated that...

catloveyes

Post by catloveyes » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:35 pm

I must confess that I am the person Kj is talking about and I have the theater stubs to prove it....I adored HOOK (Jason) and yes I was and still am obsessed!!! :roll: He was fantastic as HOOK...loved seeing him from the first time his head raised and I saw those eyes until he was eaten by the croc...and I was the only one who felt sad as all of the children cheered. :???:

horse_lover4495

Post by horse_lover4495 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:31 pm

I loved the movie Hook with Robbin Williams (like I said, I was obsessed with anything Peter Pan) but that's also what I thought about this Peter Pan in 2003. So maybe if I went back and watched Hook again, I wouldn't like it. Who knows? I think I just got my expectations up too high with this Peter Pan, like I said I LOVED it as a younger kid and watched it well over 20 times I'm sure, so it may just have been a let-down seeing it again. Actually, when I was little, I was obsessed with the actor who played Peter Pan...and now I'm obsessed with Hook! lol

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:19 pm

Hi,

Just a small FYI: the girl who played Tigerlily is of Haida descent, and she is fluent in Iroquois, which was what she was speaking in the movie. In one of the extra bits, she talked about it, and what she said.

Ahhh...Hook, poor Hook - too bad he didn't realize that he wasn't unloved or alone. ;-) The fight would have ended on a much different note. Le Sigh...

catloveyes

Post by catloveyes » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:27 pm

He was oh ssooo loved and this is a link to a bit of our deliciously evil "Hook!!" ;-)

http://www.fanpop.com/spots/captain-jam ... /sexy-back

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:03 pm

Hook isn't among my favorite characters ...don't know why...I just don't like pirates. Never have.

~me

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:27 pm

Well, that was fun. I'm inspired to watch Peter Pan again. Thanks, Miss Kate. :hug

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:28 pm

Hmm... Thanks, catloveyes! :D The power of Hook & music - it's managed to finally kick Girl Panic out of my head - and that was quite some feat, because it's been stuck in there since the beginning of October.

It's okay, Angel, we won't tell him. ;-)

catloveyes

Post by catloveyes » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:38 pm

I fell in love with Hook the minute I saw him...well I saw the pic so many times due to my obsession and I do own 4 copies of Peter Pan. And you are so welcome as well, Miss Helen.:hugs

I am also glad that it aided you Lady Sekhmet, that is what we are here for. :D

No worries Angel, all is well. :D

Return to “Older classics”