Last Godfather II

A catch-all for older favourites.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Malfoy Grandma

Last Godfather II

Post by Malfoy Grandma » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:11 am

aaa.gif WOW! Why is no one mentioning to an old lady what a wonderful tear-faced priest JI plays? Who cares if he makes love to poor lady we do not identify with, though why I do not know, she being a very modest covered-up woman who is constantly mocked and derided by male "comics" who can't stand a woman with some flesh who does not need a body double to do nude scenes because she is not shaped like a concentration camp victim! But all that aside, Jason is just marvelous as a spiritually tormented man, and those tears and sorrows of his are perfectly done. I cried all three times I looked at that sorrowing face, and I knew he was ACTING, for heaven's sake!

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:11 am

Sorry, MG!!!

I guess those of us on this board don't talk it up much because we saw it so long ago, and while I too loved JI's heartfelt performance, the production as a whole is really pretty cheesy. I mean, anytime you're "based on a book including characters suggested by something Mario Puzo once scribbled out on a cocktail napkin" I think you're entering dodgy territory.
But JI also earns points for his ice-skating. We've never been able to decide if he was pretty good before the movie was shot, or if it was another skill he picked up for that particular job.

As for Kirstie Alley, I have to say that she did much to redeem herself in my eyes with her series "Fat Actress", which I found a startlingly funny, witty, poignant examination of issues of body image, self-esteem, vanity and the nature of fame.

Malfoy Grandma

Thanks Again!

Post by Malfoy Grandma » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:07 pm

:oops: I keep thinking just because I haven't seen something it must be new! But at least I have good taste! It is rather a silly movie, but just a typical "Americans love Gangsters" flick, and I had fun watching it, because they had sense enough to have lots of scenes with JI! He is really, really so much above most of the people in the film, isn't he? Or again is that just me? Old fools are just as stupid as young ones! You people are fast becoming my most favorite website!

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:35 pm

I'm watching The Last Don II and it's left me almost speechless. I didn't like the original and I didn't think I would like this one and I don't.
The only good thing is Jason has a large part. He's done a good job with a pathetic script but no one could have made this into a decent movie. Ugh!

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:02 pm

Lotsa screen time and . . . a roll in the hay. Just keep one eye closed, so all you see is Jason. ;-)

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:38 pm

Helen8 wrote:Just keep one eye closed, so all you see is Jason. ;-)
:lol Thanks for the advice.
I think this is one of the films I would never have watched if it wasn't for Jason... Not really my style, it's too melodramatic.

That hasn't stopped me from making 3 videos about Luca, though... :oops:

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:26 pm

I will watch ANYTHING with our beloved Jason in it! *wink*

~me

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:09 am

...LOL Helen....:woot right on, so that's how you view this movie ;-)

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:19 am

*sighs* saw the first part of this movie yesterday. Not my cup of tea but I loved Jason's acting. And, I must say, father Luca is a temptation. LOL

~me

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:24 pm

so that's how you view this movie

I really just meant the uni-eye for the love scene, but if it helps for the rest of the movie, go for it!

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:45 pm

Started watching season 1 of Brotherhood again tonight. Had to watch Jason in something good and worthy of his talents.
Had to erase the parts of The Last Don, without Jason, from my mind.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:28 am

Watched the second part of the Last Don II last night. I didn't like this movie but I have to say it again, Jason's acting is superb!!!

~me

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:17 pm

I like to watch him in it, even if I don't like the other things in the film. I made myself a video file with only the Luca scenes, so I don't have to wear out my remote control. Problem solved! :oops:

I think I like to watch it because it's very different from his other characters (even if all of his characters are different form each other).

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:52 pm

It's strange seeing Michael Caffee as a priest.

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:31 am

I would love to find this on DVD. He was so sweet in The End of the Affair.
Too bad RF's character was soooooooooooooooooooo bitter.
Father, will you be willing to hear my confession? :cherub

~ML :oops:

Return to “Jason Isaacs's Film, TV and Theatre Library”