Case Histories 2 reviews - SPOILERS!!!

Based on the popular and critically acclaimed novels by Kate Atkinson, this mini-series was shot on location in Edinburgh and was quickly followed by a second season.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Re: Case Histories 2 reviews - SPOILERS!!!

Post by thunder » Mon May 20, 2013 4:06 am

The twitter reactions are a bit divided too, but it looks like most are positive to me. :D It's not a typical detective show, so people who are expecting and wanting that will probably not like it. And then you have the people complaining about Jackson Brodie not wearing a blond wig :roll: , but I don't pay attention to them.

I re-watched it this morning, and spotted Char and LadyLucius. :woot

laurielove
Location: Probably somewhere in a ruggedly fandabydozy part of England

Post by laurielove » Mon May 20, 2013 4:17 am

A more favourable review. http://www.theartsdesk.com/tv/case-histories-bbc-one-0

The complicated plot is clearly an issue - it seems the translation from book to screen proved tricky again, despite best intentions. I have more hope for the original scripts. Like I said before, shame they couldn't start the series with one of those.

Sorry to keep posting - I'm off work with a knackered leg after tearing a muscle running yesterday - not up Arthur's Seat though, more's the pity.

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Mon May 20, 2013 6:44 am

laurielove, thanks for the viewing figures. I was really interested to see that.

Thunder, I haven't seen it since I'm away on a trip. :shock: The scene was in the hospital cafeteria where JB came to talk to Hope. We thought for sure it would get cut since they couldn't include us in the close up shot.

If you are going to do some caps, please send to me by PM. Thanks so much. :hands

thunder

Post by thunder » Mon May 20, 2013 6:52 am

Jackson Brodie had just walked down the stairs, and you walked pass him in the opposite direction. You were there for about a second or so (if it was that much). I'll see if I can do the caps. :D

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Mon May 20, 2013 6:55 am

Hmm... I didn't think that it was so complicated (or plodding), but I don't know if that is just me (and how I am able to process information), if it is because I read the book, or a combination. The books are more complicated so perhaps that is why I didn't feel at a loss at understanding the show. To be honest - to me- it had the same feel as the first three, neither more or less complicated. And I don't think that I'm defending it just because it's Jason. My friend, who has never seen the show, doesn't know Brodie from Adam, and isn't a fan, was not lost watching the show (although she is impatient and always wants to know what will happen next), even with my buffering issues. And apparently my fear is that it will lose that flavor of the many threads that weave the story together with the two new ones, so I guess I'm in the minority.

And I did not feel like it was making a statement on having or not having children. Has that reviewer not watched any of the others? Children are often central to his investigations, whether they are alive or dead. Only the 2nd episode (with the Russian girl and the mystery book author) did not have children where Brodie was concerned (although Louise had to deal with her son). Geesh, someone is a little overly sensitive and crabby at that journal...

Sorry, ladies, I didn't catch you at all. I was totally focused on someone else. lol.

crawfoc99

Post by crawfoc99 » Mon May 20, 2013 7:39 am

thunder wrote:Jackson Brodie had just walked down the stairs, and you walked pass him in the opposite direction. You were there for about a second or so (if it was that much). I'll see if I can do the caps. :D
I will definitely have to check out Char and LadyLucius on my next viewing. I have to admit that I did focus on Jason as Jackson Brodie. It was a wonderful first episode of series 2. Like an old friend calling in, you've not seen for a long time.

I have no problems with the Scottish accents, but as Servalan said, there was mumbling rather than clear diction.

What can I say that hasn't already been said? I loved the books, audio books read by Jason, was delighted with Series 1 and am already enthralled with series 2. Peter Harkness wrote a wonderful screenplay from Kate Atkinson's book.

Jason as ever is wonderful is Jackson Brodie. Far and away the favourite role I've seen him portray on tv. Jackson is such a rich, incredible character with so many nuances. A man with a conscience and a heart. He can't say no, but also can't commit, either. A superb contradiction in terms that will come to your rescue. Poor Jackson can't help throwing himself into dangerous situations to protect others. A true knight, if a little tarnished. Lancelot rather than Galahad.

All I can say is 'roll on next week's episode'.

Hooroo,
Carole

crawfoc99

Post by crawfoc99 » Mon May 20, 2013 7:56 am

Here's another good review from The Huffington Post.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/05 ... _hp_ref=uk

Jason Isaacs continues to inhabit perfectly this weary optimist… with his failed personal life, his pugnaciousness, and his solitude save for his new pooch pal The Ambassador. Surely there's hope for anyone with that furry mop sitting on the passenger seat.

Hooroo,
Carole

NCGirl

Re: Case Histories 2 reviews

Post by NCGirl » Mon May 20, 2013 9:54 am

thunder wrote:This has a lot of SPOILERS from episode 1:
http://primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk/case ... -the-show/

But it's a good review!
Overall I found this first episode of Case Histories to be very enjoyable indeed. It was a well-acted, well-paced piece of crime drama which never took itself too seriously. There were great performances from both Isaacs and Wood while Peter Harness’ script built up the story perfectly. Case Histories is definitely one of the better crime dramas currently on TV and I’m hoping that this three-part series will be a success so we get even more from Jackson Brodie in the future.
:woot

"Meanwhile, there’s better news for Jackson when he learns that his daughter Marnee is returning from New Zealand to stay with him for good."

I read one review that Marlee has a shock announcement. Guess this is it. What's the storyline here?

Thanks!
~cadie

thunder

Post by thunder » Mon May 20, 2013 9:59 am

Marlee is entering puberty, thinks her "Mum's a bitch", and has decided to live with her Dad instead, because he doesn't ground her - let's see how that goes. I'm looking forward to the next episode, this story line will be interesting. How will Marlee and Jackson's relationship change when he has to try to be the responsible parent? :mrgreen:

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Mon May 20, 2013 11:35 am

I can't wait for this to be shown in the US. I will enjoy keeping an eye out for Char and Susan!! Our own Lost Girls TV stars!

servalan

Post by servalan » Tue May 21, 2013 9:56 am

I rewatched it, and caught a brief glance of Char, whom I recognised, and another person who must have been Susan - I'm afraid I don't know what Susan looks like, and also on my TV she was almost off the edge of the frame. Sorry, don't have any facility to convert it to a screencap. Well done for remaining in the final cut!

I had a laugh at "Robin Hood's Bay" as played by North Berwick beach. Anyone who is familiar with Robin Hood's Bay will know it's a tiny place on a rocky part of the coastline with a very, very steep main street lead down to the sea - so steep no cars are allowed. The lovely sands of North Berwick are not even a cheap imitation! :lol The low building in the background on the edge of the sea is the Scottish Seabird Centre, which has live webcams on the offshore islands such as Fidra and the Bass Rock, so you can watch the birds nesting.

http://www.seabird.org/

Another thing that makes me laugh is the expensive Edinburgh properties lived in by even the honest cops and ex cops... ;-)

I found this piece about Victoria Wood being in the show:

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/ ... -Histories

I thought the end of Victoria's scene on the beach with Jason was so well acted, you could really feel how badly she had been affected by what had happened to her in the past. I also loved her fear of really touching another person - when she almost kissed Jackson by the ferry (which was probably filmed at the port of Leith), but then pulled away in an embarrassed way.

thunder

Post by thunder » Tue May 21, 2013 11:49 pm

Here are some people we know :D

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Wed May 22, 2013 6:30 am

It was very hard to ignore Jackson walking past us, :D
We had to do 2-3 takes. First time I was still wearing my jacket but the director said it looked 'too bright'
And asked me to take it off.
Yes, it was a miracle we made it thru the final cut since when they moved the camera in for the close up shots,
We couldn't do the same walk or we'll knock it down, LOL.

Jason was so kind to us although at first he wanted to send us to make-up to put on some burns/wounds on our faces but we declined, :)

Thanks for the cap, thunder.

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Wed May 22, 2013 11:08 am

This has actually made my day. How wonderful for you two. :D

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed May 22, 2013 1:53 pm

You two look so natural!! So happy for you!!

Return to “Case Histories”