Supanova (Australia)

Comic-Con et al.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Supanova (Australia)

Post by thunder » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:49 am

http://www.supanova.com.au/news/supanov ... aacs-june/
Isaacs will appear all three days of the Sydney expo, June 19 to 21, and exclusively on Sunday in Perth, June 28.
Don't know how this fits into his schedule now, but I haven't seen any cancellation. So lets hope it's happening. :D

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Re: Supanova (Australia)

Post by Chari910 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:39 am

Maybe he can fit in Blue Dog in between the 2 shows. He did say it was only one week work.

Tosca Nini

Post by Tosca Nini » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:33 am

Well... no comments...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uWZEWtUt_c

hihi!

And an interview in Austraalia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNHr-VZI7AE

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:01 am

Jason did tweet when he arrived in Australia, after traveling 30 hours and that it was raining

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:53 pm

Thanks, Tosca. Those clips were great . . . especially the first one. ;-)

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:51 am

Thanks, Tosca. I wonder if Jason will be asked to do the audio book for the 50 Shades sequel. :shock:

I completely forgot that two of my Australian Facebook friends are at Supernova. Yesterday they posted pics of themselves with Nathan Filion and Adam Baldwin from Firefly/Serenity and this morning they following Graham McTavish, (Outlander/The Hobbit) around. They say he is lovely.

I told to say say "Hello" to Jason for me.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:31 am

I hope you told them to say hi from fruitbat, a moderator on The Lost Girls. He'll know exactly who you are then.

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:20 am

Several people posted their official Supanova pictures with him (cool pics). He was also on stage doing a panel with Bonnie Wright.
Couldn't help smiling when the lady cohost in the video above said it was hard to follow what he was saying because she was lost in his big blue eyes...aww...sounds familiar?
Carole, hope you had a good visit with Jason :D

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:42 pm

I am so envious. All those cool stars ... And Jason to top it all off!

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:03 am

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:42 am

Char, what is the link for the Supernova pix?

signed,
SuperTechnoLame

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:13 pm

Several on Twitter-search @jasonsfolly
and several on Tumblr.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:33 pm

Thank you!

crawfoc99

Post by crawfoc99 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:55 am

OK as promised, here are the details of my encounter with Jason Isaacs at Supanova on Sunday 21 June.

I have to admit that this is the first Con I've been to. We had tickets to Supanova 2 years ago, but family events overtook us and we were unable to attend then. I'd heard about the cosplayers but never realised how much Aussies like to dress up as well. Such great costumes/makeup/hair etc. I could have spent a fortune at all the stalls with lots goodies to tempt everyone, but I was very good. I was going for Jason and that was it LOL.

It was a pity that it rained on the Sunday as Jason complained on Twitter about the weather on the Friday being awful. At least it was sunny on the Saturday.

I got to the venue just after it opened and went and had a look to see where the signing area was. As it was 10.20am I decided to line up for the autograph session for Jason, which was scheduled to start at 11.00am. Of course, you get chatting with people when you're in a line so we talked amongst ourselves and then we started noticing the celebs coming to their tables just after 11.00am.

Jason came out with his Supanova assistant and everyone waited patiently for their turn to meet Jason and get an item autographed. There were a large number of pictures to choose from (mainly Lucius Malfoy, one Tavington and even one of the Inquisitor).

I took with me a lovely drawing that Diane Taurins had done of Tavington that I won in a competition when I was in the US in 2004 and it’s been the first time it’s been out of its frame in 11 years.

Jason was his usual, lovely self. Quite chatty, voice a little rough, but happy to shake hands and interact with everyone. He loved the drawing that Diane had done and asked after her. Jason decided to sign his name over the chest (as Jason said, there were more chest hairs than he had and he didn’t think Diane would mind).

I had brought along a goodies bag of items for Jason. I had a few gifts for his girls as well as a boomerang and a bull roarer that he could have some fun with in the Pilbara if he’s got some downtime while shooting Blue Dog. He hopes the movie is as good as the sequel Red Dog (which I think is a lovely movie). Should do well if it’s half as good as the original. Jason said that he was flying to Perth that evening as he would be filming Blue Dog during the week before attending the Perth Supanova Con on the weekend.

Along with the goodies, I included some Aussie edibles (mainly chocolate) and when Jason saw the Tim Tams I had put in the bag, he groaned and said “there goes my waistline”. I just told him not to eat a packet in one go (as he did in 2007 when I took some to London). As it was Father’s Day (for UK and US) that day I wished him a happy Father’s Day. He complete forgot it. I’m sure he spoke to the family later that night. After that, I said my goodbyes and wandered off to find out where the entrance was to the theatre where Jason and Bonnie Wright (Ginny Weasley) were giving their talk/Q&A a bit later.

The MC for the Q&A got the audience ready and we did the “Hello to Jason Isaacs” after he came on stage. There weren’t too many Wittertainees at the event, which was a disappointment. Both Jason and Bonnie were relaxed and chatted about their experiences working on Harry Potter. Unfortunately you couldn’t video the Q&A (I tried), but you could take pics.

Jason is a great raconteur and he told a number of good stories similar to those he told at Comic Palooza (look for it on Youtube – or the link in the Comic Palooza thread). He did a bit of Lucius’ voice when describing how he came up with the particular accent. Both Bonnie and Jason talked for about 50 minutes and it was great to hear that Bonnie is writing and directing her own work. Jason talked a bit about some of his projects. He made a joke about swearing and apologised to parents if they had any children present. Jason also said to the kids, that it was cool to use swear words.

A number of questions were taken from members of the audience, both for Bonnie and Jason. Mainly Harry Potter related and after about 10-15 minutes, they wrapped up the Q&A to great applause and we all filed out. I asked one of the lovely Supanova volunteers and the camera operator if they would be putting the Q&As online, but they didn’t think so and agreed that it would be great if it could be done.

After I wandered around again for another 20-30 minutes looking at stalls and taking pics of cosplayers (with their consent of course), it was time to line up for the photo session with Jason. We had to wait a while as there was a joint photo session with Jason and Bonnie together.

The process was smoothly done and I stood next to Jason for my pic and he had no trouble putting his hand on my shoulder (I’m such a shortarse LOL). Pic done, Jason complimented me on my brooch, said it was very Slytherin, and I said I thought it best to leave my Lucius cane at home. I wished him well on his trip to WA and it was time to go.

All in all I spent 4 ½ hours at the Con. It was a fun and interesting experience and if someone else comes that I really want to see is there, I’ll be going again.

I have to admit that the prices weren’t too bad for Jason, $60 for an autograph and $50 for a photo. Jason was half the price of Nathan Fillion, so all in all a bargain.

All the volunteers at Supanova were lovely and couldn't do enough for people (like me) asking stupid questions. I thanked each one who helped me. A brilliant, well run machine.

I hope Jason enjoyed his time there.

I hope you enjoyed my thoughts on meeting Jason at Sydney Supanova on 21 June 2015.

Hooroo,
Carole

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:59 am

What a lovely report! The atmosphere at Supanova sounded relaxed so unlike my San Diego Comic Con experience when we went for AWAKE. We needed a planned strategy just to secure good seats in the auditorium.

I'm sure Jason remembered you. I would love to attend the panel one day. Hope he doesn't get tired of talking about HP over and over again. How popular is DIG there? Hopefully if it does well overseas, USA Network will green light another season.

Jason was uncomfortable about fans having to pay to get his autographs/pictures but the joy/ thrill they got is priceless, IMHO.

Thank you, Carole, for sharing this wonderful experience with us :yip :hug

Return to “Conventions”