Speeches that changed the world

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Speeches that changed the world

Post by thunder » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:40 pm

I never thought I should hear Jason performing a Donald Trump speech, but now I have. Jason reads a lot of other speeches to. They read important speeches from history and more contemporary. It's really interesting.
https://www.howtoacademy.com/podcasts/s ... the-world/

Cast
The cast includes Nathalie Emmanuel (Game of Thrones, Four Weddings and a Funeral); Jason Isaacs (Harry Potter, Star Trek: Discovery); Paapa Essiedu (Hamlet, RSC); Kate Phillips (Wolf Hall, The Crown), and Jade Anouka (Cleaning Up, Trauma).
I actually think it's the first Donald Tump speech I've ever heard that much of, I usally switch it off as soon as I can.

Thanks to @bwthornton on Twitter.
:yip

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Re: Speeches that changed the world

Post by Hilary the Touched » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:23 pm

Thanks for (further) sharing this, thunder.
(My contribution: At 11:00, JI reads Winston Churchill's "blood, toil, tears, and sweat" speech
at 29:30, an amusing and entertaining diatribe from Oliver Cromwell
at 43:30, Trump's horrifying announcement of his candidacy, which somehow manages to be even more ghastly divorced from the risible cadence of its original delivery
at 1:03 Yitzhak Rabin's speech upon the signing of the Israeli-Palestinian Declaration of Principles
and at 1:18, he concludes the event with a brief affirmation by Ghengis Khan.)

thunder

Post by thunder » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:31 pm

It can't have been easy for him delivering the Trump speech. I thought it was a good choice of him not trying to mimick Trump, because the manner of the speech became even more apparent.

How could so many Americans vote for this unhinged guy? :tchuh:

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:49 pm

*whispers* HRC won the popular vote...but it was the Electoral College vote that lost HRC the election. Durrr...

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:37 am

Tis true! She won the most votes. Interestingly Trump was very anti Electoral College and pro popular vote (saying he agreed with doing away with the Electoral College before the election) - until - he lost the popular vote. Now it's just "I'm the most popular President of all time (NOT TRUE), I've done more than any other President (partly TRUE - he has done more to make the country divided and to gut our conservation laws and regulations.)

thunder

Post by thunder » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:33 am

...and about the electoral college... Why?! I understand that in the 1700's it may have been a good idea, but today?
Fix the bike, it's broken. :bag:

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:44 pm

I've been signing any petitions that come my way to end the electoral college. Probably won't happen in my lifetime. So much for majority rules.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:56 am

The citizens/politicians who do not want the electoral college to be abolished are from the less populated states that are afraid of the larger states controlling the election. However, this was not the original purpose of the electoral college. Very aggravating.

Return to “General Forum”