Brotherhood vs The Sopranos vs The Black Donnellys

Showtime brought us three seasons of this strong television drama, featuring large weekly doses of Jason Isaacs! Find articles, reviews, and viewer comments about Brotherhood--and add your own!

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Moira

Brotherhood vs The Sopranos vs The Black Donnellys

Post by Moira » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:45 pm

I've never seen The Sopranos. But with all the hype surrounding its upcoming last episodes, I've wondered if it's as good as some say.

And now there's a new NBC show, The Black Donnellys. I caught five minutes of the first episode. It's about Irish American brothers, struggling for mob power in their neighborhood, and the lead brother is named "Tommy." Uh huh, that's original. After "Tommy" started narrating a funeral a' la "The Wonder Years," I turned it off.

Have any of you watched The Sopranos or The Black Donnellys? If so, how do they compare to Brotherhood, besides their lacking a certain actor?

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:30 am

I watched the Sopranos for years, until I got tired of it and havent watched for I'd say the past 2 to 3 yrs....

I have never seen the black donnellys...

If I had to choose, it would be "Brotherhood" over the Sopranos...

The Sopranos at one point had soo many characters and plot lines going, it was difficult to follow each week...

I like Brotherhood not only for obvious reasons (JI), but it deals with a smaller group of characters who are more tightly intertwined than the Sopranos...The violence is less in BH, and I like the dialogue and interactions of family that Blake Masters has created...

Sometimes the Sopranos used violence as sort of a shock treatment, whereas BH uses it as a means to an end for MC...

This is a big debate over on IMDB, BH versus Sopranos...

Moira

Post by Moira » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:25 am

What's IMDB?

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:10 am

IMDb= Internet Movie Database website
The encyclopedia site of all movies/TV

Here's Jason's page

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005042/

Moira

Post by Moira » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:46 am