The Theatre of War

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Anniemouse

Re: The Theatre of War

Post by Anniemouse » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:28 pm

Well that was adorable, he is such a chatterbox.

I loved the photograph of Jason and Emma from 1987 so cute.

I must say it sounds like the filming is finished and he is home.

Thank you for posting that.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:04 pm

Wonderful interview! Humor is his middle name. :hands Thanks, thunder!

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:10 am

Can I ask about Jason's unique humour. Is he just winding up his interviewers with the comment about Emma and himself having a row and her going on holiday. I have not quite tuned into his humour yet.

servalan

Post by servalan » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:44 am

"Going on holiday" sounds as if he is stretching it a bit, as he said he would see her tomorrow! Perhaps Emma was staying away for one night? But not being sure exactly when that was broadcast and what the local Covid rules were in their area, I have no idea if she could or would go away.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:02 pm

I got the impression she was on holiday and would come back the day after. If the argument was very serious, I doubt he would have talked about it in a TV interview, that's how I see it.

I got a reminder, and I can see this tonight. Looking forward to it. Especially since we just went to digital teaching from home again. Nice to get my mind off that and onto something else. Even if this is probably quite heavy, but in a different way.

thunder

Post by thunder » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:37 pm

I saw it again. The acting was amazing as usual, but the talks after the play readings are really educating. It reallly gave me new insight into PTSD listening to veterans and their families stories afterwards. It's a very good project, and I've learned so much from the other performances and talks as well.

:hands

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:05 am

I really enjoyed it as well, I also found it interesting that Jason seemed to give a slightly different performance of the play as opposed to the July rendition (I find the mechanics of acting fascinating). Always a pleasure to see Jason acting live. :cherub

Thunder I also found the stories of the verterans incredibly moving and insightful as well. A truly great project.

A virtual round of applause to all involved. :hands
Last edited by Anniemouse on Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

thunder

Post by thunder » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:32 am

I was also very impressed with Jason's acting in this, even if I'm not suprised he can do it. He played two parts in this, and with little time in between. After doing a suicide scene as a broken down soldier, he went straight to an arrogant general, with a completely different energy, only a couple of minutes later. That's some amazing acting skills... :hands

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:42 pm

I'm so glad that I was finally able to see this performance. Ajax was very raw. Annie, how different was this performance from the first one you saw? I know actors like to change things up to try new angles.

I agree with you both that the panel of veterans with PTSD was eye-opening. It shows just how fragile the mind can be. My heart goes out to them and to all the soldiers who couldn't handle it and took their own lives.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:35 pm

The first thing is that in the first rendition Jason was in a navy long sleaved shirt and was filmed against a white wall.

The most notable thing was that the death scene the first time around was more scary as Jason let out a horrific and lengthy scream when Ajax fell on his sword, it was more muted this time.

I also agree with Thunder how he changed gear going from the working class Ajax to the arisacratic General in the second role. To do that in just a few minutes is something to behold.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:37 pm

Annie, thanks for the comparison. I REALLY wish I'd seen the first version since it was more powerful. But. I'll take this one.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:53 pm

Well I have just started studying the Antigone section for my Open University Course and got a shock when I read that The Theatre of War's Antigone in Ferguson was amongst the set text along with Seamus Heaney, Jean Anouilh and Bertold Brecht who all staged ground breaking versions of the play. How cool is that and I wonder if they know about it.

There was a video of the play from many years ago as well and I really would love to see Jason as Creon on stage.

thunder

Post by thunder » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:34 pm

Your course sounds really interesting. And there's a big upside to be able to drag Jason into it as well. :D
Watching Jason and working hard at the same time. :mrgreen:

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:22 pm

I am slightly terrified of the play and the essay as there are many versions that have been staged and I don't want to write a substandard essay and I loved Jason's performance. Historically there has been one staged in Paris during WW2 and one in South Africa as well that was an amazing production. Funny toi think that a play written around 2,400 years ago is still so relevent.

thunder

Post by thunder » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:32 am

As long as there are wars, this play will be relevant.... :-(

I've only seen the zoom version, it would have been interesting to see one in a theatre, when that will be an option again..

Return to “General Forum”