The Theatre of War

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Re: The Theatre of War

Post by Helen8 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:08 pm

Maybe it landed in the spam folder?

You got it. That's where it was. But. No reminders. Go figure. :roll:

Thanks, Annie and thunder. So. What'd I miss? (As many details as you can remember, please. :D )

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:52 pm

Jason played the role of Creon. Helen look for a copy of the Play Oedipus and we saw four scenes. We saw Jason as Creon as the trusted aid who Oedipus makes accusation of treason against. It was not a large role but an imporatant one and Jason was again womderful. As I mentioned last night, Jason was sat agaist a black backdrop in a black T-Shirt lit so that you saw his face illuminated, that was quite affecting. Damien Lewis got the largest role as Oedipus the imcreasingly paranoid King who eventually discovers the terryfying events that have now angered the Gods and led his nation into an era pf plaugue and pestulance.
Jason was in the play for around 15 mins.

Great to see the other actors as well. Damien Lewis, Lesley Sharp, Brian O Byrne and all the other were wonderful.

Thunder did it look like they were recording it ?

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:49 pm

Thanks for that, Annie. I just happen to have a copy of Oedipus.

Didn't Brian O'Byrne play Michael Caffee's cousin(?) in Brotherhood?

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:09 am

Yes he played the Shephard toward the end.

Damien Lewis also did one of the quickest make up jobs on himself as Oedipus discovers the truth. He must have been knackered at the end as it a very demanding role. Jason was measured and a beautiful contrast to the increasing tension.

Interesting that Jason and Damien are both Liverpool supporters and in paralel universes are married to the same woman. :cherub

I notice that other online Theatre of War versions of Oedipus are already online. Wish they would upload the two Jason productions.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:25 am

Annie, I thought it looked like they were recording it. Maybe it will be released sometime.

A review here:
https://www.britishtheatreguide.info/re ... -pro-19367

And here are some screen shots I found posted on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/josegarriga/status/ ... 3431712770
https://twitter.com/howtojesswell/statu ... 2299843584
https://twitter.com/mesklaroff/status/1 ... 0568871936

:D

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:13 pm

I got several reminders as well, and boy was I ever grateful--I struggled like anything to figure out what time it happened!!
Of course I wished to pop in and ask a question, but none of my responses were as thought-provoking and insightful as the ones from the panel and guests, so just as well I didn't get on.

It was odd and sort of endearing to watch it with all the performers' personal circumstances unavoidably included, and it made it more immediate to hear how someone's microphone distorted the sound of their screaming because they got too close... :bag:

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:18 pm

One thing I didn't hear discussion of (I ducked out a few minutes before the end) was WHY the affront to the gods (the murder of Oedipus's father, Laius) was such a big stinking deal, but it didn't seem to bother anyone that his wife Jocasta chucked out her own baby on the strength of a prophecy that later in the play she completely pooh-poohs the significance of.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:34 pm

I cannot give a completely acurate answer, but for me the play states that the actions of the human characters try to cheat the prophacy laid down by the oracle. Oedipus leaves his (not realising adopted) family, Jocasta attempts to kill her baby all to placate the God.

Reading some texts it seems that Laius, Oedipus's father and King of Thebes had personally angered the Gods by his terrible actions against the Royal family of the Kingdom of Elis before we enter the action at that point of the narrative. This leads the Gods to send the prophecy that we see unfold in the Oedipus play. Jocasta seems to have no desire to even contemplate the ramifacation of her actions because she feels that as he baby died the prophacy was cheated.

Thank for all the links. Great to see the images of Jason.

thunder

Post by thunder » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:09 pm

I got an email alert for "Antigone in Ferguson". It says it will be on October 2. 15. and 17. I don't know if Jason will be in all of them. Will update if they post more.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:28 pm

Thanks, thunder. I hope I'll be able to catch this one.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:27 pm

Yes I am confused about which production Jason is in and the timing I think it will start at 10 pm and 11 pm but this needs some clarifacation as we will be changing from BST to GMT times in the next few weeks. Hope that this will be resolved. It will be a late show by the look of it.

I have registerd already for the tickets so Helen make sure you do and check that it reaches your inbox.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:24 pm

I also seem to be registered for Urgent Love on Sept. 26?! :scratch Don't remember doing that. Jason's name is listed. So. I'll listen to it.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:56 am

Where is the link for Urgent Love as I cannot find that one?. I also cannot find a link for the Oct 15th performance, just the Oct 2nd and 17th.

thunder

Post by thunder » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:30 am

Urgent Love is this topic: https://jasonisaacsonline.com/phpBB/vie ... f=1&t=5797
There's a link there. :D

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:59 pm

So tonight I watched Jason and an incredibly talented choir perform Antigone in Ferguson, which was fantastic.

Jason played King Creon of Thebes who forbides Antigone under the threat of death from burying her brother which she defies with devastating consequences for al involved.

Jason in a black short sleaved collared T-shirt and using an American accent, again put in a steller performance. Creon a man full of self importance and unrestrained ego is such a great role for an actor and you could feel Jason enjoying the challange of bringing such a strange creature to life.

The traditional choras in the play was replaced by a gospal choir who were magnificent considering the challanges they had to face with the technology.

What was rather lovely was as the production came to the close with the chorus in full flight Jason was applauding them.

I am so glad I caught this and hope many on the forum had the chance to see it too.

Return to “General Forum”