Pilots

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Anniemouse

Pilots

Post by Anniemouse » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:54 pm

I was just wondering if you have information about all the pilots that Jason has made over the years?. Do you Lost Girls over in the states ever get to see them, and if so was there ever any that should have been picked up as they had potential. Has Jason ever bemoaned the one that got away type scenareo.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Re: Pilots

Post by Marie » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:03 am

Publicly Jason never seems to bemoan pilots that are not picked up. Or roles he was offered that he declined. He is well aware that a show may have succeeded due to the actor that got the role. Even in private he takes a pragmatic approach to the business. I do think he regrets not taking one of the lead roles in Armageddon. That movie was so big it I think it would have launch his career into a different trajectory. But then he may not have done some of the projects that we so love. (And he would not have done Divorcing Jack which was the movie I first noticed him in!!)

Some of his pilots had the bad luck of being included in a year with a lot of the same types (crime drama, hospital, etc.). Rarely do pilots get shown in the US when they are not picked up. He had one year where he was offered nearly all the male lead role in all the US the pilots - so he had to chose. Since Jason was only interested in scripts that interested him (Jason is not into police procedurals or typical crime drama shows) - it did not always turn out to be the pilot that got bought and/or became a big success. But thankfully he does not appear to be the type that looks back and depresses on what could have been. And his family life is very important to him - so he has made some choices based on where the work would be done and if his family could be present/nearby. He has a wonderful career and thankfully still stays very busy in the industry (much to our constant delight!)

I do know a couple of his failed pilots were shown. Some even had Lost Girls as extras (not me alas!). But I can’t remember which ones. I am sure some on this forum have a better memory than me!

Cheers,
Marie

servalan

Post by servalan » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:15 am

He seems to have been in lot of things that were cancelled after one season in spite of being very good (e.g. Awake) plus some things that had more than one season but were also cancelled, such as The OA. :-(

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:29 pm

I never knew if pilots were shown to the public in the US. Jason seems to enjoy the daring and the groundbreaking type of script. Is it me or does Jason come across as not being bothered about fame at all. Indeed he seems to love being a normal husband and Dad and I wonder if he would enjoy being in say a top global tv show for years at a time or a massive movie hit that had an impact on his life.

servalan

Post by servalan » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:25 pm

In my youth there used to be lots of UK “pilots” on Play for Today and Comedy Playhouse. They were designed as one-off plays or comedies, but some became series, such as Steptoe & Son (which has the Jason connection of course).

I think Jason likes being able to ride on the Tube without being recognised. Fame is a double-edged sword.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:27 pm

We must be close in age as I recall the Play for Today series. Just been reading some of the most famous ones; Abigail's Party (made Allison Steadman a star),Bar Mitzvah Boy, (I think Maureen Lipman was in that ) and the Billy plays (which started Kenneth Branagh's career).

I also think they really helped cement new writers in the public conciousness. I think that ability to take a chance has gone at least for the time being.

Return to “General Forum”