God Save the Queen

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

God Save the Queen

Post by Marie » Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:55 pm

I may be an American but I’ve always had great respect and admiration for Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth.

To all those in the UK and and around the world who feel the same respect, love and admiration - I feel your pain. My deepest sympathy

servalan

Re: God Save the Queen

Post by servalan » Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:06 pm

Thanks Marie. It's a strange feeling. Even people who do not support the monarchy as an institution had great respect for the Queen, who was always a hard-working woman with a strong sense of duty to the UK and to the Commonwealth. Two days before her death at the age of 96 she was still working, greeting a new Prime Minister. For many of us, she was the only monarch we have known in our lifetime. Our currency was decimalised in her reign, so all Bank of England notes and all coins bear her image. (In my youth we still had old coins in circulation with the heads of previous kings.)

It is very hard to get used to the words "God save the King" instead.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:09 pm

Thank you Marie. It is a strange feeling and it all seemed to be so quick in the end.

The comment on the coins and bank notes is something I had not thought about. It is like the axis of this nation has moved somehow.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:31 pm

I'm not even British, but I still can't grasp that she's passed away.

My condolences to all of you. :hug

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:36 am

I'm an Anglophile, and I truly respected Her Majesty. I think in 70 years, her only misstep was waiting too long to speak to the public after Diana died. My condolences to our UK members.

Return to “General Forum”