Inspector Morse "Cherubim & Seraphim" accent

A catch-all for older favourites.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Moira

Inspector Morse "Cherubim & Seraphim" accent

Post by Moira » Wed May 09, 2007 7:37 pm

Is that JI's original Liverpool (Liverpudlian?) accent in the show? I'm lousy at identifying UK accents.

I see he had a thing for baseball caps even back then. Unless it was his costumer's idea.

For several years I volunteered helping sick, injured and orphaned animals return to the wild. I pay attention to how actors treat animals in films. JI handled the lab rats very kindly! :D

The episode was a weird 80s flashback, but despite it being typically excellent and typically depressing Inspector Morose --I mean, Morse-- it was great to see JI in an early role.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Thu May 10, 2007 11:02 am

Correcto! That's Liverpudlian.

lyra70

Post by lyra70 » Fri May 11, 2007 12:35 pm

The episode was a weird 80s flashback, but despite it being typically excellent and typically depressing Inspector Morose --I mean, Morse-- it was great to see JI in an early role
Now now Moira - don't you be dissing my Morse! I just love me some John Thaw. My husband and I started borrowing these from our local library last fall as an alternative to the dreck on tv (we don't get any movie channels and don't follow most shows because we can't stay in the loop. We must be the only two people on earth who have never seen an episode of "Lost" or "24). Anyway we have been slowly renting one every couple of weeks or so and I am eagerly awaiting till we get to "the one with Jason". I was seriously upset when I found out John Thaw was no longer living. :-(

Do you know that Danny Boyle ("Trainspotting") wrote a few of these - they have been the best ones so far. I wonder if he wrote "Cherabim and Seraphim"...

Moira

Post by Moira » Fri May 11, 2007 8:35 pm

lyra70 wrote:Now now Moira - don't you be dissing my Morse!...
Your Morse? I was a fan of the Inspector before he was ever on film!

I'd never diss Morose. But you can't deny the shows could get depressing! I own them all on VHS (my favorites being the ones with JI and Philip Quast), and I once made the mistake of having a Morse Maranthon with a couple friends. By the end of the evening we didn't know whether we'd enjoyed ourselves or wanted to drink ourselves to death.

I miss John Thaw. I would have loved to have seen him on stage, doing Shakespeare.

Anniemouse

Re: Inspector Morse "Cherubim & Seraphim" accent

Post by Anniemouse » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:00 am

Well I found that really interesting.

Jason playing the genius pharmacutal creator that deals drugs on his down time. Were they mice or rats that he was handling, he seemed so at ease with them, the clothes he was earing were so of that era. :D Interesting that the character was both full of charm yet utterly ruthless. I never got the show at the time as I think I was always watching the latest US comedies like Cheers and Frasier as I think they had the same time slots on different channels on a Friday night. Morse has actually aged well regarding the narratives but I am freaked to see how much the has changed in computing, phones and fashion, this was my 20's and I new feel very old.

Noticed that he was using his natural Liverpudlian accent which was lovely also that Danny Boyle was directing this episode years before Shallow Grave his movie debut let alone Trainspotting. You wonder if their paths will cross again at some point.

Return to “Jason Isaacs's Film, TV and Theatre Library”