9 Lives: WOW! New York Times Lists Diana

A catch-all for older favourites.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

9 Lives: WOW! New York Times Lists Diana

Post by Helen8 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:06 pm

. . . gettable Moment!!

Good Heavens! The author practically gives the entire scene! We can read and enjoy it until the Feb. 14 DVD release.

The Unforgettable Moment
Nine Short Scenes of Women in Crisis
By STEPHEN HOLDEN
Published: January 15, 2006

EACH of the nine brief scenes in Rodrigo García's "Nine Lives" is a little epiphany that revolves around a different woman under emotional stress. Together they add up to a collection of wrenching, minutely observed moments that suggest Chekhov short stories. Each is written, acted and directed with such exquisite calibration of tone, subtext and body language that the performances seem less like acting than fleeting, revelatory moments of real life captured on film.

Forum: Movies
The supermarket in which Diana (Robin Wright Penn) and Damian (Jason Isaacs), former lovers now pushing 40, run into each other by chance couldn't be a more banal setting for a shattering reunion. In the fluorescent glare, with barely audible Muzak humming in the background, they reconnect and within minutes dive into the murky emotional depths of their past.

Like the other eight stories in the suite, "Diana" is only about 10 minutes long and filmed in real time. But by the end we've learned more about the inner lives of Diana and Damian than is revealed about most couples in a feature-length movie.

Even before Diana, in the final months of pregnancy, spots her ex, traces of anger and disappointment are visible in her face, as she impatiently pushes her shopping cart through the aisles. When they catch up with each other next to the canned soup section, they exchange friendly greetings and chitchat.

Both are now married. Diana is expecting her baby in August. Damian, handsome in a lightweight hooded jacket, is back in the city after several years and is about to move to a new apartment with his wife, Lisa.

Their conversation ends as Damian extends his hand, and with a tense, too-bright smile, Diana playfully bats it away. The camera trails her from behind as she moves on and then, unable to resist a backward look, turns around to reveal her stricken face.

When they bump into each other again moments later in the produce section, Damian makes the leap back in time.

"Actually, I think about you all the time - the stuff we did, the things that happened to us, the people we were - it was lovely for a long time, wasn't it?" he says in a tone of urgent romantic gravity.

Diana stiffens. "It was lovely by fits and starts," she corrects, adding, "I think we should talk about something else, if we're going to talk."

They retreat into chitchat in which he tells her about his job as producer of a current affairs show for public radio.

Diana's head has lowered, as though she can hardly bear to look at him.

"You never really opened up to me, you know," she blurts.

"That's not true," he replies.

"It is true," she says. "You made me sad for a long time." Trying to lighten up, she remarks: "I'm not hurt, and I'm not angry. It's how I remember it. But none of it matters anymore anyway, right?"

By now Diana is ready to move on, but Damian, abandoning his cart, insists on accompanying her.

"Are you going to have kids?" she asks.

"No," he answers.

"Why?"

"I can't," he says tonelessly. "I'm sterile."

At a loss for words, she laughs nervously, then apologizes.

When they reach the wine section, Damian takes charge and chooses one red and one white as though he had done it countless times in the years when they were together. Diana observes how they're walking and talking "like lovebirds," then covers her face with one hand as her feelings well up.

"Five minutes with you and I always feel like my life is a figment of my imagination," she confesses, exasperated. "You've just always been this thing that swallows me." She pauses. "I've got to go."

She hurries off, then suddenly turns back, anguished. "You can't just come up to me after a hundred years, married, and tell me that you think about me. You can't do that," she says.

"Why not?"

"Do you love your wife?"

"Yeah. Of course I do. You love your husband. And this is different because it's us. We're Damian and Diana. Nothing's going to change it. You might as well accept. You know it's true."

Diana pushes her cart away furiously. But their need to connect drives them to turn around and face each other one last time.

"Damian," she whispers under her breath.

Approaching her, he gently places his hands on the sides of her belly, stoops and softly, reverently, kisses her stomach. For a long moment, they touch their foreheads together, looking beseechingly into each other's eyes. He almost speaks, then stops, and they break apart. She stands there for a moment, her eyes smarting with tears before she continues to shop, dropping a bottle of dishwashing liquid into her cart.

When Diana can't bear it anymore, she abandons her cart and races down the aisles frantically searching for him. Rushing to the supermarket entrance, she peers in both directions, but he's gone. Blackout.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/15/movie ... 5hold.html

Helen

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:47 pm

Goodness!
JI done made an impression on somebody, didn't he???

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:04 pm

You mean besides all of us, eh?

Helen

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:27 pm

It was so nice to have the whole dialogue. I did miss quite a bit when I watched it.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:46 pm

I agree Char - it brings back vivid memories of that scene. Nice to see the words and re-live it!!!!

Anniemouse

Re: 9 Lives: WOW! New York Times Lists Diana

Post by Anniemouse » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:46 am

I have just watched this and I think it is up there with Jason's great performances. All repressed emotions and lost chances. Wow the two of them were immense.

I was almost in tears when Diana runs to the supermarket entrance to find Damien has left.

A wonderful piece of work. :hands

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:30 pm

This was very good, I think Damian and Diana was the best of the "short stories". :hands

Marie

Post by Marie » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:28 pm

Some of us got to see it at the Sundance Film Festival. Always a really exciting experience!

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:21 am

Is the DVD available I cannot find it. Also would love to know more about you trip to Sundance.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:14 am

I have the DVD, but I bought it a long time ago.

Marie

Post by Marie » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:28 pm

Sundance was crazy! I think we saw every Jason movie he had in the festival but one (3 different years). Unfortunately - just like Comic Con it has gotten way too popular and is very hard to get tickets to. You pretty much have to pay exorbitant prices for locals tickets (from the locals - they get first dibs). The city itself is beautiful and the dining is fantastic. Celebs walk down the street so you are always turning your head saying “was that so and so”. Unfortunately it is the worst place to actually see Jason or get to talk to him (although we managed!) The celebrities with films at the show are pretty much scheduled for non-stop interviews and meetings. I think there are threads on this board that recount some of the Sundance adventures.

Return to “Jason Isaacs's Film, TV and Theatre Library”