Dragonheart

A catch-all for older favourites.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

revenante

Dragonheart

Post by revenante » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:37 am

ITV2 (UK Freeview channel) are showing this a couple of times this coming week - in case anyone is interested or has a loincloth fetish... :wheee

Anniemouse

Re: Dragonheart

Post by Anniemouse » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:38 pm

Watched it today as it was being shown on Film4. Genuinely rollicking good fun and Jason was obviously having a great time as the naughty but sexy Lord Felton. (that loincloth) :woot

So I spent a lovely couple of hours having fun. Also considering it is 24 years old it seems to have stood the test of time as the CGI seems to be up to scratch even today.

Lots of fun for all. :hands

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:18 am

I think that in a lot of movies, CGI looked better before. When it was new, at least they made an effort. Now it's assembly line production, and no quality control a lot of the time.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:09 pm

Lots of fun for all.

Annie, Dragonheart was the first movie (1996) that I noticed him. Um. Loincloth and all. I actually waded through the credits after the film to see his name. Didn't ring a bell. The following year, Event Horizon, he stood out. I checked the credits. Didn't ring a bell. Then, Armageddon (1998), same routine. And. No bell. It wasn't till seeing Lucius Malfoy (2002) that it finally clicked. Huge ringing bell. When I realized that I had VHSs/DVDs of the other three films, I watched them again and wondered how I could have forgotten him year after year. :scratch I guess if I had seen The Patriot (2000) I might have awakened sooner, but I'd developed a dislike for Mel and passed on seeing it.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:36 pm

I am in two minds as to whether I should get Event Horizon as I am not really a horror fan although I love sci fi. Also in two minds about the Patriot as I am not the biggest fan of Mr Gibson either. I think the first project where I though this is a great actor was The Curse of Steptoe.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:55 pm

Annie, I haven't watched it in a while, but I don't remember it being too scary though. And Jason's character doesn't fare well.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:24 am

Anniemouse, I'd quibble with Helen's description of Event Horizon--I found it very scary indeed, and it is pretty graphically gory too.
I'd agree that it holds up remarkably well; it has the first "folded paper" demonstration of how a singularity (?) works for spacecraft navigation, and the special effects remain completely convincing. The acting is also terrific (though I could have done without Jack Noseworthy).
If you bought it, you could fast-forward through the most intense moments. I personally wouldn't watch it by myself!

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:50 am

Is it worse than Alien/Aliens I have seen those.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:01 am

I think Alien/Aliens was "worse". Event Horizon is quite gory, but I thought Aliens was more creepy. I'm usually not very tough when it comes to horror movies, but I could watch EH just fine.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:46 pm

Ok I think I will watch this at some point.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:17 pm

Event Horizon is scary!! But it is not a slasher film - it’s a thinking kind of horror/space film. I enjoyed it. And you have to see it otherwise Jason’s fabulous story of the JI dummy he tried to get from the film makers will not make sense!

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:20 pm

Never heard that story. I will get around to seeing it.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:01 pm

Miss Hilary, I am the original Scaredy Cat. I found EVERY episode of Grimm to be extremely frightening. If I compare it to Event Horizon, Grimm to this day is very scary to me. From ep. 5 on, I had to have DH in the room, so I could watch it . . . all 5 seasons of it. Not so Event Horizon.

There are long stretches of staring down a corridor of the ship. Mind games. Scaredy Cat "don't play dat." Yes. Jason's character's final scene was gruesome. But let's not scare Annie into not watching it.

:soap

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:45 pm

Just to let you know I have ordered the DVD. Slightly nervous though. :???:

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:55 pm

OMG - I had to read the post above! I thought for a moment you were afraid to watch Dragonheart! It kind of made me giggle. But yes Event Horizon is a tad on the scary side. Will admit I did not watch that one alone but I did enjoy it.

Return to “Jason Isaacs's Film, TV and Theatre Library”