Jason and Shakespeare

A catch-all for older favourites.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Anniemouse

Jason and Shakespeare

Post by Anniemouse » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:00 pm

Has Jason ever done Shakespeare onstage during his career?. It would be unusual for an actor never to have done it at all.

servalan

Re: Jason and Shakespeare

Post by servalan » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:42 am

Perhaps when he was very young - but I remember from an interview once that Jason said Shakespeare isn't really his thing. I think he prefers new writing to classics.

I saw a great production of Othello once where I kept imagining Jason as Iago. The baddies all get the best lines.

Stage work I am aware of includes Angels in America (with Daniel Craig) and Harold Pinter's The Dumb Waiter in London, which a number of us went to see, including a group of our US members.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:24 pm

I remember that so well. Jason came to the stage door in the back and brought champagne and cups one night. He didn’t drink (hasn’t for a looong time) but we polished it off. I remember he “directed” a large group of us for a picture. Made the photographer stand high up on a wall and took the picture downward. What a great photo. Some of the gals saw the play multiple times. I think I saw it twice - but also saw Wicked and Spamalot on that trip!

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:04 pm

Thank you for the reply. I noticed from his stage credits that he had not done much in the way of classical stage work. Agree that he would make a magnificent lago. I have read (and seen those photographs) that he had done the stage version of Angels in America with Daniel Craig. I remember seeing the TV production with Jeffery Wright and Emma Thompson so can only imagine the amazing production onstage with Jason and Daniel.

The story of Jason outside the theatre and how he treated you all is lovely to read. Pleased that you all had such a great time in his company.

I also think he would be great as Shakespeare's Coreiolanus. That is a dark complex role.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:08 am

Isn't it some Shakespeare in The Curse of Steptoe? But that's Jason playing Harry H. Corbett acting in a Shakespeare play. Not exactly the same...

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:22 pm

I checked the Curse of Steptoe. It is Richard II scene 5;

I wasted time, and now doth time waste me;
For now hath time made me his numbering clock:

Seeing the scene again made me realise what a lost talent Harry H Corbett was and Jason was amazing in that role.

servalan

Post by servalan » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:51 am

One weird detail about The Curse of Steptoe is that Harry H Corbett had blue eyes, but Jason wore brown contact lenses.

Did you see the revised version or the original? When it first went out on TV there were complaints from the family that the script made Harry H have an affair while still married to Sheila Steafel (I remember her well from her radio comedy days and The Frost Report), whereas IRL that marriage had broken down before he met wife 2. They edited the recording, and cut out the first meeting between the pair.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:26 am

No I think I just saw the original broadcast. I did not know about the contact lenses I wonder why that happened. Aslo just read that the Curse of Steptoe had the honour of being the highest rated BBC programme for a while.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:46 am

I remember there being several lawsuits... I think the family wasn't happy even after the editing, and it ended up with the BBC not being able to broadcast it or distribute it again.

Return to “Jason Isaacs's Film, TV and Theatre Library”