Battle of the Brave (Nouvelle France)

A catch-all for older favourites.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Anniemouse

Battle of the Brave (Nouvelle France)

Post by Anniemouse » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:29 pm

I managed to watch this today and still have not made my mind whether I enjoyed the experience.

Boy it is so long and really could have edited out a full hour with much damage to the plot. I liked the lead two characters and the child but I am baffled why Jason and Tim Roth were even in the movie as their characters were wasted with nothing remotely noteworthy to do. Jason's General Wolfe coughed a lot and apparently died on the battlefield while reading a poem!!!!!.

I felt that although the score was lovely it overwhelmed the piece at times and actually I could not make out Jason's lines at certain points.

I noticed that in the review on the movies page a review mentioned many of the movies plot and other problems such as the miraculously fitting dress, I would add that critical battles are barely mentioned but not shown and Francoise seems to access King Louis court with no hesitation and at the end seems to be a rich gentleman again despite being penniless entering prison.

Timelines and shifting locations are a bit of a mess but the cinematography is beautiful. I wish I could say I liked it more but I did not. Sorry.
Last edited by Anniemouse on Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Re: Battle of the Brave (Nouvelle France)

Post by Marie » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:28 pm

Never be sorry for being honest! Jason will freely admit that he has been in some less than stellar movies. He won’t normally name them in public though - because he does not want to offend anyone in the industry (he likes to work!)

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:54 am

I have just noticed something. every time I type the letter 'W' it looks like it is faded. Is it a problem at my end?

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:25 pm

Probably at your end, Annie. They look fine to me.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:28 pm

The more I think about it the more I wonder if they chucked a whole section away relating to the British Army. There must have been more filmed regarding Jason's character.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:56 am

I think I remember Jason talking about only filming this for a couple of days, and that he did the movie because some producer or the director (I can't remember) was related to his wife. I don't think he had any scenes cut from this. :scratch

Confession time: I have not seen the whole movie, only Jason's two scenes. :oops:

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:24 pm

I cannot say it is a bad movie and as I mentioned I liked the two leads the daughter and the adopted daughter who comes to a tragic end. I am surprised about there not been more Jason scenes as it felt like a whole narrative regarding the army was missing. Wished i had liked it more but I am glad I saw it although it is well over 2 hours long.

Return to “Jason Isaacs's Film, TV and Theatre Library”