Capital City.

A catch-all for older favourites.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Anniemouse

Re: Capital City.

Post by Anniemouse » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:35 am

This puts Chas is a sticky situation being his housemate.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:48 am

Yes, bit it didn't look like anyone held it against him...?

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:47 pm

Just checking and it seemes like the actor who played Jimmy has not done tv or film work for some time.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:34 am

Just watched the blind dating episode. I would have been thrilled if on many of the blind dates I have been on over the years to have met Chas. One of the most likable characters Jason has played. :cherub

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:43 am

Just seen the episode where Chas and the others are the victims of Sylvia's attempt to sell them to another company. Also his friendship with Sirca makes this another episode where he has a major role in an epsidoe. Wonder if this was the one that got the Hollywood execs noticing. Interesting that he and Julia Ormand got noticed.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:41 am

OK, I have just watched the last episode, and here are my thoughts on the show.

Spoliers.

I loved it. I surprised myself as it was one of the first DVD's I got when I wanted to catch up on Jason's career and left it in the pile, as I was not sure I would enjoy watching a group of bankers making and losing money.

Jason playing the perfect good guy (where did my Chas disappear to) had more to do than I expected. I loved all the characters except. Sylvia, Lee (although I liked his debt episode) and of course Jimmy the creep; dated too many like him for my liking.

I suspect that Jason might not of enjoyed playing Chas as much as some other roles, but to think that this is his first major TV role showed what talent he already possessed and he was wonderful. I loved how he calmed Declan down during the wedding preperations and how he cared about Circa and stood up for what he believed in. You can see why that US TV executive was interested.

So why did this wonderful show only last two seasons?, and just as importantly why had I never heard of it?.

Well, after careful consideration I think I have a possible answer. In 1990 UK television was getting massive viewing figures especially for 9pm shows (which I suspect that this was the timeslot it was aired) and I think it just go lost. Major shows of trhe era in that timeslot or close to.

BBC 1 will have been showing
Have I Got News for You.
Dallas.
Dynasty.
Only Fools and Horses.
Some major documentaries.
and repeats of popular shows.

BBC2
Blackadder (New and repeats).
Fawlty Towers (repeat).
REd Dwarf leading into first .
Twin Peaks.
Red Dwarf into Quantum Leap.
Rab C Nesbit.

Channel 4
Golden Girls (New and repeats).
Cheers (New and repeats).
Rosanne (New and repeats).
Whose line is it anyway?. (New and repeats).

Then we had Italia 90 the football World Cup that would hammer anything in the ratings as we did very well getting to the semi finals.

I also am aware that they never repeated it or at least to my knowledge.

All should be proud of Capital City; a great piece of work and Jason looks so young. :cherub Like I mentioned I loved it.

By the way did you notice in the last episode when Chas is calming Declan's wedding nerves Chas makes a Star Trek reference (to boldly go). :hands
Last edited by Anniemouse on Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thunder

Post by thunder » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:18 pm

Glad you liked it, Annie. I think it's quite good for 90's TV show. I've heard Jason complain that Chas was too nice, and that all the others got to have sex etc, except him.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:04 pm

Chas had that girlfriend who was friends with Circa. :cherub

thunder

Post by thunder » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:19 am

Yes, but they didn't get to do any action. :lol

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:03 am

Actually I was surprised how chaste the love scenes were compared to say Brotherhood.
It was a strange regret for Jason to have about the show. :brows

Return to “Jason Isaacs's Film, TV and Theatre Library”