pictures from ANGELS IN AMERICA

A catch-all for older favourites.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Malfoy Grandma

pictures from ANGELS IN AMERICA

Post by Malfoy Grandma » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:35 pm

Are there any good photos of the stage production of the Pulitzer Prize Drama, done at the Royal Theatre before it hit Broadway, and the lousy movie version in American movies. Lousy because no JI, of course. This play has been considered a break-out in style and character study in American theatre. This was a really important play and a very important production in the JI career, and I can't find stuff anywhere.

Minuet

Post by Minuet » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:55 pm

Here's one of Jason snuggling with Daniel Craig in "Angels in America".

I'd give just about anything to find one of them kissing (as they did in the play), but alas, no. :???:

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:30 pm

I posted in the gallery the only two I've ever found--both appeared to have been scanned in from a printed source. I suspect that the one Min shared is from a site called bluematia.com (the colour's a bit of a giveaway!), which is where I found 'em (and got permission to post from).

What can I say--it was a stage play! I've only ever seen photos from rehearsals used myself, typically in newspapers and programs. :-(

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:47 pm

I have to say -- the resemblance there between Jason Isaacs and a young Sean Connery is too eerie for words.
Ironic he should be hugging the future James Bond.

Malfoy Grandma

JI and Angels

Post by Malfoy Grandma » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:29 am

:roll: Thankyou very much. I guess I just did not see JI there, because of the stage makeup or something. I guess the British National Theatre did not roll a film version of the stage play, as is often done in US theatre at the national level. But I suppose the whole subject matter became of more authority over such a production than whether it was supposed to have been a spectacular feat of both acting and writing. WHOOO!

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:17 am

MG, I really don't know much about this topic, but it's my (faint!) understanding that film/video is shot of professional (Broadway?) theatrical performances. I can't remember if that's also done in the UK, though I suppose Google is an option...anyway, I am pretty firm in my recollection that those are not viewable for, like, 10 years, and then are only available for "scholarly" purposes--maybe by acting students, maybe students of critical writing?? but that they are not ever intended for commercial use.
I suppose trying to keep track of all the financial implications after such a significant time lapse is one reason...

Malfoy Grandma

Thanks, Hilary

Post by Malfoy Grandma » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:48 am

The Brit Royal Theatre production beat the opening Broadway one, on their website, it says so. Review by John Peter of Sunday Times, Nov. 28, 1993 says "...Jason Isaacs and Stephen Dillane give quiveringly vulnerable but steely, controlled perfomances as two lovers, Louis and Prior....Louis and Prior are two magnificently objective and compassionate portraits.....

So no film, unless I could get my grandson who works for the N.C.professional dance coordinating committee or some such, to perhaps find a copy! That would be nice, wouldn't it? I'll give it a shot.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:02 pm

I'll give it a shot.

You go, Girl!!

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:51 am

This isn't the film version, is it? :scratch ~M'L :cool:

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:49 am

Nope. It's the London stage version. And, apparently, not preserved for posterity. :-(

Sea Lion Woman

Post by Sea Lion Woman » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:43 pm

I've read the play...about 6 times (both parts Millenium Approaches and Perestroika)
I really recommend it to everybody. It's such a great play...very poetic and every character is flawed..which makes it easier to...identify with.

Louis is such a complicated character..I would've loved to see Mr. Jason play him...very complex character Louis is...and there are certain scenes that I would've LOVED to see him in...

Now that I remember in the second part of the play (Perestroika)..at the beginning they put all the diferent places where the play has been done and the actors involved...and Mr. Jason's name is in it! Yeah I noticed it...the third time I read it...I've read it so many times I even remember some lines...it is THAT good...

An excellent play. Truly excellent. Very human.

Gilly_sirl

Re: pictures from ANGELS IN AMERICA

Post by Gilly_sirl » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:22 pm

I'm resurrecting this thread because... wow. That's our man getting all cuddly with Daniel Craig!

http://jasonisaacsonline.com/gallery/album01/Angel2blue

If that isn't a sweet dream for a fangirl, I don't know what is!

Sorry, I'm on a Bond-age spree, these days.

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:17 am

Gilly_sirl wrote: Sorry, I'm on a Bond-age spree, these days.
As am I.* All due to a certain audio book I listened to a couple of months ago. Image

* I still haven't seen Skyfall, though. :-(

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:33 pm

I still haven't seen Skyfall, though.

Well, what are you waiting for, fruitbat??? :weed

Thanks for the picture, Gilly_sirl. It just went into my favorites folder.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:59 pm

Uh, it came from this website, Helen.
Sprog called Skyfall a perfectly acceptable Batman movie.

Return to “Jason Isaacs's Film, TV and Theatre Library”