Genevieve O'Reilly/Caroline Hanley on Spooks/MI-5

This BBC/BBC America miniseries, filmed in Toronto, was broadcast on 2 November 2006 on BBC1 in the UK, and in the US in February 2007.

Moderators: fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius, kate, again

fruitbat

Genevieve O'Reilly/Caroline Hanley on Spooks/MI-5

Post by fruitbat » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:03 am

The eighth series/season of Spooks, (known as "MI-5" in the States) just started playing on BBC Canada two Thursdays ago. The other board I belong too, which has a huge section dedicated to Richard Armitage, the new male lead in Spooks, has a sub-board just for Spooks, including individual threads for each episode. For the most part, I had avoided that part of the board as I realised that it is better to watch such a programme spoiler-free.

However, one topic was talked about quite a bit and made it to other parts of the board; the horrible American accent of the actress who played, Sarah Caulfield. She is played by, you guessed, Genevieve O'Reilly, who played Caroline Hanley in TSW.

The weren't kidding. Her accent is, as they say, all over the map; variations on different regional American acccents, her own accent slipping in here and there, and I'm pretty sure I heard some of that Na’vi language from Avatar.

If you can't get a native speaker, get a dialect coach.

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:18 am

Your post reminds me of Keanu Reeves -- Jason's co-star in Sween Norvember. His turn in Dracula was downright painful. The accent was one of the worst attempts I've ever heard. Almost bordered on cartoonish.

I kept waiting for Anthony Hopkins to burst out laughing, it was that bad.

With all the other good actors out there, why they picked him is beyond me.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:31 am

For anything.
Ever.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:40 pm

Hey now he was great in Bill & Ted (but then again I don't think he was acting......)

Return to “The State Within”