TRAILER!

A fencing Jason Isaacs--in tights, no less!! Sorry--a historical drama concerning machinations and maneuverings in the court of Spain's Philip II, erstwhile husband to England's Queen Mary Tudor and dispatcher of the ill-fated Armada. Velvet and ruffed collars. Unfortunately, it appeared only sporadically in theatres, and is tough to find even on DVD.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius, kate, again

Hatsuan

Post by Hatsuan » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:48 pm

Oh, my God! In this film, Jason is really the best. His name is the first one in the trailer! But, tihs clothes are very...warm? :-|

Soule

Post by Soule » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:11 pm

grannybear wrote:OK ...I've watched the trailer several times and now I undertand why they all died so young in those days. No one could breathe. The women aren't too bad but the men look as if they are an overstuffed easy chair. All those clothes from the waist up (and not too much from the waist down). They look uncomfortable. Those ruffled collars don't help much. Look at them. How can they move?
I think it is the right period, where the women went for the smallest waists possible (they went to more extreme methods than today) the corsets would be pulled so tight that their internal organs would move, some waists got ridiculously small to the point of two hands could go round the waist.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:29 pm

I remember when us women used to wear girdles. I hated them. How did they stand to wear those horrible corsets back in those days?

Vig

Downloable trailer

Post by Vig » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:20 am

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:42 pm

Oh, lovely pic, thanks Vig!
( and welcome to the board)

~me

Vig

Post by Vig » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:45 pm

Angel Tavington wrote:Oh, lovely pic, thanks Vig!
( and welcome to the board)

~me

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:13 pm

I just watched this clip. It looks interesting, with Jason as the male lead.

Why do they dub in any language?
:D

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:01 pm

Why dub? So other language-speakers can comprehend. As for why not subtitle instead, can't help you. Hard to imagine that's more difficult (you've got to translate the script for the other language anyway) or more expensive (one typist as opposed to multiple voice actors) so . . . ??

Sea Lion Woman

Post by Sea Lion Woman » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:16 pm

But I think they only do that in Spain. Because when I used to live in Peru (a spanish speaking country as well) they had the dubbed movies AND the movies with the subtitles.
So why does Spain only show the movies DUBBED...like Hilary..I have no idea.
I don't think is money issues because Peru is a poor country (not TOO poor...but poorer (or however you say it!) that Spain)
So I really don't know....unless they don't teach english in Spain's schools, so dubbing is much easier. They don't have to read...they just listen. I don't know...it's my theory.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:41 pm

Soule, that bizarre fetishized waist deformation was, I think, a Victorian phenomenon, though even then it probably wasn't ever as bad as some like to claim--the notion that someone would voluntarily undergo surgery before the development of antibiotics and dependable anaesthetic is a little far-fetched, for example! Corsets and stays of the 17th and 18th centuries seemed to be more about shaping and support than actual diminution--and don't forget that the corresponding voluminous skirts make the waist look smaller by comparison (she says, recalling the bigass shoulders of the 80s with nostalgia . . .)

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:52 pm

recalling the bigass shoulders of the 80s with nostalgia

Joan Crawford knew exactly what she was doing with her wardrobe—on- and off screen.

catloveyes

Post by catloveyes » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:11 pm

Because big shoulders make your waist look smaller I love shoulder pads....I know I am in a minority but I NEED SHOULDER PADS!!! :D

Yes, I do believe Joan Crawford knew what she was doing!!

Hugs,
Kate

Return to “La Conjura de El Escorial (aka The El Escorial Conspiracy)”